This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

I can't win with these TC pumps

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
havoc1482
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01085
eBay ID: havoc1482
Tractors Owned: _______ 1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: @havoc1482

I can't win with these TC pumps

Postby havoc1482 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:37 am

The replacement one I bought failed. Its leaking into the oilpan again. I don't know what it is. I rebuilt my TC unit and when there is fluid inside, the damn thing works like a dream, but after about an hour of good use in the snow, it just has trouble lifting the plow and eventually, it stops working.

I could go the route of replacing the seal, but I did that last time on my old one and it didn't work.
Mike

I bleed Black & Gold

IH Collectors Club New England (Chapter 18)

Western Mass. (The 413)

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Re: I can't win with these TC pumps

Postby Super A » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:41 am

I gotta be honest, I never heard of repairing one of these pumps until I got to looking at tractor stuff on the www. Not saying it was never done, but usually a leaky pump = replacement, which is painfully expensive but you have a new pump. Hope your luck improves, honestly it sounds like something that would happen to me!

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Slim140
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: .
1970 International 140
1972 International 140
1949 John Deere A
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original

Postby Slim140 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:45 am

Is it possible when you rebuilt your TC unit something got put in backwards or something got missed and it's building to much pressure to blow the seal in the pump? That happened to my brother one time.
Every home is a school, what are you teaching?

Circle of Safety

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:32 am

When you remove the pump and dissemble it check the shaft closely for a groove, if there is one there, and especially if it has a ridge in the groove, use a Dremel abrasive buff to go around and around the shaft to smooth the groove.
they are short lived, normally just last for a coupe TC shafts, but are worth the money. They can be mounted on an EZ Lock or standard mandrel either one. If your pump uses an oil seal rather than an o-ring you can frequently get a thinner body seal and mount it shalloer than the original so the seal lip will run in a different place on the shaft.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:57 pm

Chipmaker wrote:Is it possible when you rebuilt your TC unit something got put in backwards or something got missed and it's building to much pressure to blow the seal in the pump? That happened to my brother one time.

That is something to check. There are stops at each end of the travel of the control linkage. They need to be adjusted so the system doesn't hold pressure at the ends of each stroke. The adjustment procedure is in the Touch-Control Serviceman's Guide.

Gerry Powell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 78736
Tractors Owned: two 1948 Cubs
1951 Super A
Kubota L2350

Postby Gerry Powell » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:27 pm

There's two pump designs, one uses an o-ring seal and one uses an oil seal. If the shaft is scored and you hone it down to eliminate the score, the diameter will be reduced some but needs to be true round withing .001-.002 or it will cause the seal to "flutter" when running and will leak. Even if it is round, it might leak if the diameter gets reduced enough that the seal is not snug fit. These shafts are heat treated and are very hard, the best way to fix the shaft is to turn it down just a bit on a lathe and then press on a speedi-sleeve. The sleeves are made of stainless, very hard and smooth to give the new seal a good, renewed surface to ride on. The tricky part is getting the speedi-sleeve pressed on to the exact place it needs to be because it's not very long. While you're at it, you can replace the body o-ring and hone the gear faces. If the gear faces or the brass bearings get grooved or scored, this can reduce the efficiency of the pump.

EZ
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: P0M1Z0
Tractors Owned: 49 Cub
67 International Cub Loboy
57 Farmall 130

Postby EZ » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:58 am

Found the pump on my 130 was defective during the rebuild.
Ordered a used one from a wrecker (Ontario Used Tractors). He said it was off of a C or maybe a Super C, but it would work.
Had to use the die grinder to remove about 1/16 of cast to get the fit, but that pump has been working like a charm so far this winter.
Hope you can find a good used one.
Just Do It !

EZ
10+ Years
10+ Years
57 Farmall 130

Postby EZ » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:01 pm

Used the die grinder to remove a small area so pump 383013R94 would fit.

Just Do It !

havoc1482
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby havoc1482 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:33 pm

EZ wrote:Found the pump on my 130 was defective during the rebuild.
Ordered a used one from a wrecker (Ontario Used Tractors). He said it was off of a C or maybe a Super C, but it would work.
Had to use the die grinder to remove about 1/16 of cast to get the fit, but that pump has been working like a charm so far this winter.
Hope you can find a good used one.

I got a replacement from a scrap Super C. Worked good well after my TC rebuild. It seems that ever since I mounted the snow plow it is doing this. I wonder if I have the linkage above the plow wrong or something causing more strain than needed.
Mike

I bleed Black & Gold

Western Mass. (The 413)

EZ
10+ Years
10+ Years
57 Farmall 130

Postby EZ » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:06 pm

Mike,
Been out for awhile. Did you get things worked out?
Your snowplow looks to be stock hook-up from your pictures.
The measurements you gave me for the boomerang work like a charm.
Is it binding anywhere?
Have not had one lick of trouble with mine. Sure beats the Cub Loboy for sheer pushing power and volume.
Just Do It !

havoc1482
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby havoc1482 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:13 pm

EZ wrote:Mike,
Been out for awhile. Did you get things worked out?
Your snowplow looks to be stock hook-up from your pictures.
The measurements you gave me for the boomerang work like a charm.
Is it binding anywhere?
Have not had one lick of trouble with mine. Sure beats the Cub Loboy for sheer pushing power and volume.

I haven't had time to play around with the tractor unfortunately. I've been up at the UMass Ag. school, only 45 minutes from home, but still not enough time to tinker. I'm going stir crazy.

When I have some time I will probably look at this thread again to diagnose the TC problems.
Mike

I bleed Black & Gold

Western Mass. (The 413)

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:30 pm

I have never worked on a Super A/140 TC unit, but I assume they have limiters on them to prevent the control levers from going so far the the lift keeps trying to raise or lower it, and the pump is continuously running under pressure. The manuals call for using a pressure gauge, but you can pretty much tell by ear. Run it at slow speed and operate the TC. You should hear the engien load a little then ease up at the end of the stroke when the position of the arm and control valve match up. If it stays under load the hand lever is going to far.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35630

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:44 am

Keep us updated!
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”