This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Transmission change out?

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
JSTRICKLAND
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28601

Transmission change out?

Postby JSTRICKLAND » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:37 am

Will a Farmall A transmission go into a Super A? I know that they two different PTO arrangements the two notches connection and the splined connection. But I was wanting to use a whole rear end and transmission, pto assembly up to the front of the transmission to go into a SA. Thanks in advance.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Transmission change out?

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:30 am

I do not know about the transmission, but the implement mounting holes on the finals are different.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Super A » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:44 pm

It'll probably bolt up but there will probably be some issues.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

JSTRICKLAND
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby JSTRICKLAND » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:46 pm

Duh moments John, I seem to have them more and more now. So with that said will the A implements work on the top connection on the Super A rear rock shaft? :lost: or have lost it.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:53 pm

The entire transmission and differential will swap in. You just need to use the matching PTO engagement sleeve from the A. Alternatively, you can swap the upper shaft from the original transmission into the replacement unit. I haven't actually done the shaft swap but know of no reason it shouldn't work OK. As stated earlier, the final drive housings on the A and Super A have some fundamental differences as does the bell housing. But there is no such problem with the transmission housing.

There is an input shaft seal and two differential side seals you probably want to replace while you have easy access to all of them. Make sure the rubber washers on the input shaft are in good shape too.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:55 pm

JSTRICKLAND wrote:Duh moments John, I seem to have them more and more now. So with that said will the A implements work on the top connection on the Super A rear rock shaft? :lost: or have lost it.

I don't know what you are asking here. But the rockshaft on the Super A is bolted to the fenders.

JSTRICKLAND
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby JSTRICKLAND » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:28 pm

I guess what I am trying to ask is, Is there any implements that would hook up to the top link as on a Ford tractor. example disc, bog, carry all, boom pole and so on? The bottom differentials do not do the lifting. I do not currently have any of these attachments but may in the future. I would have to buy A implements to hook below, but would the hook above?

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:51 pm

Your clarification just confused me some more. Are you just changing the transmission or also the final drives? Super A implements attach to the final drive housings and the ends of the arms on the rockshaft.

JSTRICKLAND
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby JSTRICKLAND » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:40 pm

Jim, I am sorry for the confusion but I am now home from work and have had time to look and think about this. Yes I was going to use from the transmission back of the A. Now after watching some videos I would have to use SA fenders if they would attach onto the A part. I do have both the A and a SA here. I was at work and could not picture it. So now hopefully not to make a mess of this again. Say I switch this out and use my A cultivators on the rear attached to the A final drives and use the same lift arms with the springs on the and attach them to the SA fender rock shaft. Will this work?

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:55 am

I just reread your first post. I should have done so earlier.

You can put Super A fenders on the A rear housings. That would let you use the Super A rockshaft and rear cultivator pressure rods on the A cultivator. However, by the time you do all that, I'm not sure it is much less work than only swapping the transmission and keeping all the rest of the original Super A parts. Why make a frankentractor when you can have a tractor that still uses complete Super A implements without more mix and match parts?

JSTRICKLAND
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby JSTRICKLAND » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:41 pm

Duh again, It was just me trying to squeeze a penny harder than needed to be. I have located a A scrap trans and rear end pto, final drive assembly already together. Simple mind, just split at trans and torque tube and add the assembly, place wheels on and there you go. Not at all thinking about the monster tractor. Thanks for the help and sorry for the confusion.
:thanx:

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:53 pm

JSTRICKLAND wrote:Duh again, It was just me trying to squeeze a penny harder than needed to be. I have located a A scrap trans and rear end pto, final drive assembly already together. Simple mind, just split at trans and torque tube and add the assembly, place wheels on and there you go. Not at all thinking about the monster tractor. Thanks for the help and sorry for the confusion.
:thanx:

I'd find a Super A/100/130/140 rear end to swap.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

havoc1482
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01085
eBay ID: havoc1482
Tractors Owned: _______ 1948 Farmall Super A
Twitter ID: @havoc1482

Postby havoc1482 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:38 pm

Too bad you aren't closer to me. I have literally all of that. Transmission, finals and wheel hubs from a Super A. Transmission is gutted with all the gears on the shelf. I plan on cleaning it up and putting it all back together with new seals and bearings as a winter project.
Mike

I bleed Black & Gold

IH Collectors Club New England (Chapter 18)

Western Mass. (The 413)

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:15 pm

Torque tubes are different too so your battery box and steering post won't mount up.

I would remove the final drives, and split the tractor at the transmission. Swap the A transmission in, and then reinstall the final drives from the Super A. Everything will fit and work.

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”