Super A Hydaulic Rebuild

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
AGrinthal
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 07848
eBay ID: thatfarmallguy
Tractors Owned: 1943 Farmall M
1952 Farmall Cub
1951 Farmall Super A
1966 Farmall 140

Super A Hydaulic Rebuild

Postby AGrinthal » Mon May 30, 2016 7:55 pm

My Super A hydraulics work fine BUT... BUT. they leak.
Are there rebuild kits for these.. the stamping on the part is below:

P24EZ52R04
383013R84

I took mine apart and the seals are a little rough inside. (Not talking about the shaft seal).

Anyone know of rebuild method?

Thanks
Andy

havoc1482
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 01034
eBay ID: havoc1482
Tractors Owned: _______ 1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: @havoc1482

Re: Super A Hydaulic Rebuild

Postby havoc1482 » Tue May 31, 2016 5:12 pm

I literally just finished mine. Its really easy. Steiner has a rebuild kit. If you need some guidance look up the Cub Touch Control in the "How To" section of the forum. The procedure is similar except about everything is doubled.

I make a diagram of the cylinder block (to the right in the below photo) and numbered everything in its own box so it could be put back exactly where it came out of. This is a photo of another forum member took, but its the exact same procedure I did.

(PHOTO CREDIT: 'EZ')

Make sure your workspace is CLEAN, did I mention it has to be clean? These Orings and shafts DO NOT like dust and dirt getting on them. You will wear the parts out faster.

Here is a photo I took last week:

Mike

I bleed Black & Gold

IH Collectors Club New England (Chapter 18)

Western Mass. (The 413)

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "The Paperweight"
Cub powered IH 52R combine
Grandfather's 1948 Super A
White demo Super A-"Ol Whitey"
1950 Super A "Old Ugly"
1954 Super A-1
Buncha other junk

Postby Super A » Tue May 31, 2016 5:31 pm

havoc1482 wrote:I literally just finished mine. Its really easy. Steiner has a rebuild kit. If you need some guidance look up the Cub Touch Control in the "How To" section of the forum. The procedure is similar except about everything is doubled.

I make a diagram of the cylinder block (to the right in the below photo) and numbered everything in its own box so it could be put back exactly where it came out of. This is a photo of another forum member took, but its the exact same procedure I did.

(PHOTO CREDIT: 'EZ')

Make sure your workspace is CLEAN, did I mention it has to be clean? These Orings and shafts DO NOT like dust and dirt getting on them. You will wear the parts out faster.

Here is a photo I took last week:

I really like your parts layout! As simple-minded as I am, I need something like this to keep things organized. And yes the key to any TC rebuild is clean, clean, clean.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.

AL Farmall Boy
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 35111

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:38 am

Just to clarify, are you wanting to rebuild the Touch Control Hydraulic Resivoir or the Hydraulic Pump ?
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com
:tractor: Like my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on Facebook! :tractor:

EZ
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: P0M1Z0

Postby EZ » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:48 pm

Mike....This is awesome!

Yours is so clean you can literally do it in the dining room.
Just Do It !

havoc1482
501 Club
501 Club

Postby havoc1482 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:18 pm

I hand washed every part one at a time after removing the o-rings. Just a little dawn and some hot water and they clean right up. No scrubbing required. (which is good because scrubbing might scuff machined surfaces)

Before install I would rub everything down with a little hydraulic oil and put them in. Make sure you put the control valves in from the front or else you can tear the o-rings on the holes inside of it.

And yeah EZ I literally did it in the kitchen/dining room haha. After I drained most of it in the basement and cleaned a lot of the oil out I put everything in the sink one at a time, even the block itself! Washed every surface and blew every hole with hot water.
Mike

I bleed Black & Gold

Western Mass. (The 413)

Stanton
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1945 Farmall H, serial #213,651
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:27 am

Method I used is very similar for a Cub Touch Control. Soapy hot water followed by hot water rinse, then compressed air to blow dry it. Make sure every part is clean and your work surface is too. :coffee:
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

AGrinthal
5+ Years
5+ Years
1952 Farmall Cub
1951 Farmall Super A
1966 Farmall 140

Postby AGrinthal » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:21 pm

This is great info on rebuilding the Touch control. There is video on YouTube for that as well. HOWEVER I should have been more clear. I was looking to rebuild the PUMP. New ones are about $400 (ouch). After researching mine I find I have a Wooster Pump. it works but leaks. The leak isn't the common Shaft seal but rather the seals between the mating cast parts. I took mine apart and the rubber seals had some breaks in them. They are NOT o-rings but shaped Rectangular seals.

I was looking for a kit to replace these seals. No Luck. So Onto Option two.

I had another Pump on hand but that one had a worn gear and key. I replaced the Key however the Gear was worn and didn't stay centered even with the new key.
SOOOOooooo. I took the gear off the leaky wooster pump and put it on the spare pump I had and it sits there fine.

My question now is how "Freely" should the gear turn . I can turn it with my hand but there is some resistance there when the bolts holding the two halves together are tight. Just now sure what the "Feel" should be. This was a pump off a "C" from a boneyard... I purchased the pump and Touch Control back in Jan (the touch control worked) but never tested the pump.

I guess I should clean out the ball/spring assembly before trying it on the tractor.

Thanks
Andy

havoc1482
501 Club
501 Club

Postby havoc1482 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:54 pm

I had to order the oring from McMaster Carr. It is infact an o-ring but it has a square cross section. I believe the CaseIH partstore online has the dimensions for it.

When I got my pump put together the thing seemed a little stiff to turn so I just didn't crank too hard on the bolts that hold the two halves together. Seemed to fix the issue.
Mike

I bleed Black & Gold

Western Mass. (The 413)

AGrinthal
5+ Years
5+ Years
1952 Farmall Cub
1951 Farmall Super A
1966 Farmall 140

Postby AGrinthal » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:53 pm

Mike
was yours a Wooster as well? It does have a rectangular cross section but it sure isn't round!

havoc1482
501 Club
501 Club

Postby havoc1482 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:32 pm

I believe the new one I replaced my older one is. If memory serves me right the ring is technically round but you have to squish it out of round into more of an oval shape.
Mike

I bleed Black & Gold

Western Mass. (The 413)

gusbratz
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 16345

Postby gusbratz » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:06 am

AGrinthal wrote:This is great info on rebuilding the Touch control. There is video on YouTube for that as well. HOWEVER I should have been more clear. I was looking to rebuild the PUMP. New ones are about $400 (ouch). After researching mine I find I have a Wooster Pump. it works but leaks. The leak isn't the common Shaft seal but rather the seals between the mating cast parts. I took mine apart and the rubber seals had some breaks in them. They are NOT o-rings but shaped Rectangular seals.

I was looking for a kit to replace these seals. No Luck. So Onto Option two.

I had another Pump on hand but that one had a worn gear and key. I replaced the Key however the Gear was worn and didn't stay centered even with the new key.
SOOOOooooo. I took the gear off the leaky wooster pump and put it on the spare pump I had and it sits there fine.

My question now is how "Freely" should the gear turn . I can turn it with my hand but there is some resistance there when the bolts holding the two halves together are tight. Just now sure what the "Feel" should be. This was a pump off a "C" from a boneyard... I purchased the pump and Touch Control back in Jan (the touch control worked) but never tested the pump.

I guess I should clean out the ball/spring assembly before trying it on the tractor.

Thanks
Andy

I will be doing a rebuild on mine soon as well. I have never done any farmall hyd work but gear pumps I have rebuilt in the past involved putting a piece of fuse wire or plasti-gauge in behind the gear then assembling the pump then taking it apart to see the gear to rear housing clearance. if it is to wide due to wear you can put new gears in or (as I plan on doing) putting the center pump casing on my surface grinder and takeing off some material to bring the end cover clearance back in. not sure if the hyd pump gear clearance in listed in the manuals or not.... here is some good info on pump wear http://www.oberdorferpumps.com/media/43 ... -pumps.pdf

AL Farmall Boy
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 35111

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:50 pm

I have the gasket/0-ring you need. PM me if you're intrested.
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com
:tractor: Like my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on Facebook! :tractor:

AGrinthal
5+ Years
5+ Years
1952 Farmall Cub
1951 Farmall Super A
1966 Farmall 140

Postby AGrinthal » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:52 pm

Al,
I PM'd you but not sure If it went through. In any event here are some shots of my pump. These seals are NOT standard O-rings. Let me know if you have seals for this. It would be a find!

Andy

WoosterPump3.jpg

WoosterPump2.jpg

WoosterPump1.jpg