This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

C123 Water Pump Issue

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
EZ
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: P0M1Z0
Tractors Owned: 49 Cub
67 International Cub Loboy
57 Farmall 130

C123 Water Pump Issue

Postby EZ » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:23 pm

This is a view of my water pump off the 130.
Not sure what this hole is for on the front of the inlet tube, just below the shaft.
Perhaps my leak was coming from this hole?
Is that where one expect flow if the seal was damaged/dried out?
This is about where the leak seemed to be coming from, but of course when the pulley is on you cannot see that hole.
The leak was definitely seeming to come from behind the pulley area.

I plugged the inlet and set the pump horizontal in a vice, filled it with water up to the impeller, but no leak from the shaft area, and nothing from that hole.

If anyone has experience with these pumps, let me know.

One thing I will note: The PO had at one time removed the pump, as I found the old block gasket in the box he gave me. However, the body gasket was still new in the box.
When I dismantled the pump, the body gasket basically dis-integrated, so now I'm thinking the leak may somehow been coming from the body gasket area, I may have disturbed it when I mounted the alternator bracket to one of the pump body bolts. I have a couple ways of testing this theory in mind.

Basically, make and install new gaskets, use a flat plate on the rear of the pump to simulate the block, use a flex hose connected to the inlet, pour in a few quarts and look for the same leak.
If there is no leak, then the gasket was the problem. If it still leaks, then I will have to look into installing the service kit (seal, shaft, impeller etc..) That kit is already on it's way here.
Pray that the problem was the body gasket.

The service manual talks a lot about using a press (which I don't have) to remove the impeller, shaft etc...
I also checked, and it is just as much money to buy an aftermarket pump, so I hope the test comes up with a gasket problem.
Just Do It !

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

cub.bub
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 46628
Tractors Owned: 55 cub, 54a blade, (2) woods L59 mower...Allis Chalmers CA
1965 International 140, 60" grader blade.
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: C123 Water Pump Issue

Postby cub.bub » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:03 am

Yes, the hole shown is a weep hole intended to allow the water to bypass the bearings.
Could be the gasket as you were in that area working and could have disturbed seal, I like your "test" method.
Good luck and keep us updated.

Bruce.

EZ
10+ Years
10+ Years
57 Farmall 130

Postby EZ » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:34 am

This is part of the water pump service kit.
Received new from CaseIH today.
It is a ceramic seal, but it clearly looks to be damaged.
The edge of the seal is broken up in a couple spots, plus it does not seem to 'seal' the impeller end of the shaft at all.
Just Do It !

EZ
10+ Years
10+ Years
57 Farmall 130

Postby EZ » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:09 pm

Performed a leak test on the water pump and the results are in......

The leak is definitely a bad seal as the water is coming out the weep hole and not from the body gasket area.

Only thing I can do now is continue to dismantle the pump, and if it looks easy enough to put back together, I will order another good kit.
Just Do It !

EZ
10+ Years
10+ Years
57 Farmall 130

Postby EZ » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:39 pm

Took the pump apart today.
What I have marked as SPEEDY SLEEVE? is actually Part #5 362038R1 Slinger...Flinger, according to parts manual.
The slinger does not come with the kit, and has to be ordered separate if still available.
Looks easy enough to rebuild, if I can get a good seal kit and slinger.

Oh...if you ever dismantle one of these and the retainer spring breaks, don't worry, it is soft metal and will not hold the bearing in, nor damage the body when you press out the shaft.

Just Do It !

EZ
10+ Years
10+ Years
57 Farmall 130

Re: C123 Water Pump Issue **UPDATE**

Postby EZ » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:15 pm

Update:
Recieved a new aftermarket waterpump from CaseIH today, and I think it is a good copy.
Made in Turkey for A&I.
Looks and feels beefy enough.
Only thing, it comes with gaskets (body and block) but as I expected they are very cheap material.
I already had a good body gasket, but I made sure to order a stock block gasket to come with it. Good thing, the aftermarket gasket was broken in the box as they are too brittle.
Spraying it up red tonite and if it dries before too late, it is going on the 130 as well.

So.........lesson learned.... the price of the rebuild kit for the water pump is the same as a new pump. Get the new pump!

Just Do It !

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”