This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

How to cultivate on 36" row centers

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
jpayne
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 28622

Re: How to cultivate on 36" row centers

Postby jpayne » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:02 am

Super A wrote:
jpayne wrote:
Super A wrote:I would suggest you fix up a set of row markers. If you go with the Yetter planter (Very nice, the old JD 71s were great plate planters) on a toolbar it would be easy to add a row marker. Then you can center the planter and the cultivator on the tractor. Offsetting planter and cultivator will make for a big headache IMO because you could only go one way, then turn around, deadhead back, and then go again.

If keeping the planter centered, wouldn't that make 36" centers impossible? From my measurements, and my tires are all the way in, 36" is only possible if the planter is offset to 18" from the center of one the tires. Yes, this would cause you to have to only plant in one direction each row.

No it is possible, you would rely on your row marker to keep the rows 36" apart. When you were done Instead of your wheel tracks being centered on each other, each pass would be 8" inside the centerline of the last tire track. In other words, the wheels will overlap the last pass 8'. Then when you cultivate each tire will be 4" past the centerline of each row middle.

I was always taught to set a row marker so you follow the mark it made with the centerline of the tractor. If that was the case you would fab up your marker to mark the ground 36" away from the centerline of the planter (which would be the same as the tractor centerline.) If you wanted to, you could follow the mark with your front tire. In that case the marker would mark the ground 58" from the centerline of the planter (36" + 22" = 58".) This dimension would vary depending on exactly where you mount the marker. I always set my row markers up on larger planters mathematically, then make a practice run to "fine tune" them. Especially when sighting the mark with the centerline of the tractor. This is kind of a long, drawn out answer but hopefully it makes sense.....

Al

It does. Thanks for clearing that up. I had it stuck in my head that centers could only be half the distance of the tread width between back tires.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”