How to cultivate on 36" row centers

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BlackWaterFarms
Zip Code: 31513

How to cultivate on 36" row centers

Postby BlackWaterFarms » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:36 pm

I have always wanted a 140 farmall and I was finally able to buy one this fall. It is set up on 44" tread width and I'm trying to get ready to plant sweet corn this spring on 36" row centers. I have always planted on 36" but my tractors were set up on 72" and I cultivate/plant either two or four rows at the time. So, I'm trying to wrap my mind around how to cultivate on 36" with a one tractor that won't get as narrow as 36". I know this is probably a dumb question to you guys but I will appreciate it if someone can help me understand as I'm new to to this one row thing!

staninlowerAL
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1)'52, (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (1)'72 154 Number Series Loboy, '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '53 MM BG (offset), (2) '49 Avery V's, '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76 Yanmar 1500, Sears Surburban's, MTD's, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: How to cultivate on 36" row centers

Postby staninlowerAL » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:07 pm

Super A manual P52 shows the tread width 40 to 68 inches, not sure how this compares to a 140. Try this link:
http://www.farmallcub.com/[ Sorry, direct links to manual section is not allowed. ]/downloa ... %20OCR.pdf

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "The Paperweight"
Cub powered IH 52R combine
Grandfather's 1948 Super A
White demo Super A-"Ol Whitey"
1950 Super A "Old Ugly"
1954 Super A-1
Buncha other junk

Postby Super A » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:18 pm

One of my happiest childhood memories is cultivating soybeans for my granddaddy with his Super A (now mine, restored) on 38" rows. Third gear with a set of rolling cultivators on the front and a worn out front end. If a 9 year old can do it you'll be fine! All jokes aside though by the math each wheel will only be 4" outside the centerline between each 36" row. You will just have to drive careful when the corn gets bigger.

Hope this helps,
AL
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:51 pm

I'm with Al. We used to cultivate 36" rows with an A or Super A set at 44". The wheels weren't centered between the rows but with 10" tires they were still roughly 9" from the next row.

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:40 pm

rolling cultivators are the cats meow cultivating. put 2 straight feet on the back on each side and let her eat
boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

BlackWaterFarms
Zip Code: 31513

Postby BlackWaterFarms » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:04 pm

So when you plant you set your two back feet 18" from center on each side and when you come back through to cultivate you put enough feet on the rear to catch the rest of the row middle I'm guessing?

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:25 pm

BlackWaterFarms wrote:So when you plant you set your two back feet 18" from center on each side and when you come back through to cultivate you put enough feet on the rear to catch the rest of the row middle I'm guessing?

And you dont leave a furrow to have to walk in :wink:
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

jpayne
Zip Code: 28622

Postby jpayne » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:57 pm

Boss Hog wrote:rolling cultivators are the cats meow cultivating. put 2 straight feet on the back on each side and let her eat
boss

I'm trying to get a picture of this in my mind, and for the life of me, cannot. I've also been agonizing over row spacing. I'm on the fence of selling my 140, buying a 464 or 3000, and switching to 2 rows on 30" for my corn. Then I start thinking, if I could plant and cultivate on 36" rows, I may keep it. Either way i'm buying some sort of planter, push planting 2 acres is getting old.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:31 pm

I was looking at my A and SA, and think you could rig up two rows for it!---planters are adjustable as to row width!---I use an old IH 450 ground lift 4-row cut down to 2-rows and it will mo-dock across the field behind my C allis tractor,---I actually did pull it one year with one of the older low power cubs,---works good.
I set it to either 36 or 38" rows and cultivated that year with one of the cubs. (Currently looking at making one of the older cubs into a 30" cultivating tractor)---I may opt for 2- 30" rows and modify half of a IH 461 - 4 row on the SA to cultivate with!----Time may not permit this but for corn the cub will do ok IF I can get some fenders made for the cultivator, and some narrow sweeps and more of them! thanks; sonny

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
1950 Super A "Old Ugly"
1954 Super A-1
Buncha other junk

Postby Super A » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:56 pm

jpayne wrote:
Boss Hog wrote:rolling cultivators are the cats meow cultivating. put 2 straight feet on the back on each side and let her eat
boss

I'm trying to get a picture of this in my mind, and for the life of me, cannot. I've also been agonizing over row spacing. I'm on the fence of selling my 140, buying a 464 or 3000, and switching to 2 rows on 30" for my corn. Then I start thinking, if I could plant and cultivate on 36" rows, I may keep it. Either way i'm buying some sort of planter, push planting 2 acres is getting old.

Did you get cultivator frames with your 140? If so all you need are the rolling cultivator spiders:

Set the up kind of like this (Notice they put the spiders on backwards here. But the basic idea is the same:)

Image This is on a Cub, idea is the same for a 140.

rsz_img_2465.jpg

This is the setup Boss was talking about. When the corn gets a little height on it and you have things set right, you can clean it. I mean 3rd gear as fast as you want to go. Words can hardly describe how good a job it will do.

Planters: Does your 140 have a fast hitch? Lots of people have adapted Cole planters to fast hitch:

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m103/hobo1301/coleplantefasrhitch.jpg

A little welding can create a hookup if your 140 has standard drawbar:

Here's another option. Again a Cub but a 140 would be similar. These JD 71 unit planters are excellent planters. IH made a 185 and a 295 that were very similar.

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.

jpayne

Postby jpayne » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:44 am

Super A wrote:
jpayne wrote:
boss

Did you get cultivator frames with your 140? If so all you need are the rolling cultivator spiders:

Planters: Does your 140 have a fast hitch? Lots of people have adapted Cole planters to fast hitch:

Here's another option. Again a Cub but a 140 would be similar. These JD 71 unit planters are excellent planters. IH made a 185 and a 295 that were very similar.

I should have been more clear. I do know what rolling cultivators are, and have used them for larger setups. I did not get a pair with my 140. My confusion was about when he says "put 2 straight feet on the back on each side". Looking at the pictures you posted it appears he's saying put rolling cultivators on the front, and sweeps on the back (straight feet)?

Yes, my 140 has a fast hitch. I am thinking about getting one of the Yetter 71 units and putting a fast hitch tongue on it. I have found a 295 set up for fast hitch, but the price they are asking is the same as what I can get a brand new Yetter for.

I'd also like to know how exactly folks set up for 36 in rows. Looks like it can be done by offsetting the planter to one side 18" from the center of the tire, but setting up the cultivators is another puzzle.

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
1950 Super A "Old Ugly"
1954 Super A-1
Buncha other junk

Postby Super A » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:07 am

jpayne wrote:

I should have been more clear. I do know what rolling cultivators are, and have used them for larger setups. I did not get a pair with my 140. My confusion was about when he says "put 2 straight feet on the back on each side". Looking at the pictures you posted it appears he's saying put rolling cultivators on the front, and sweeps on the back (straight feet)?

Yes, my 140 has a fast hitch. I am thinking about getting one of the Yetter 71 units and putting a fast hitch tongue on it. I have found a 295 set up for fast hitch, but the price they are asking is the same as what I can get a brand new Yetter for.

I'd also like to know how exactly folks set up for 36 in rows. Looks like it can be done by offsetting the planter to one side 18" from the center of the tire, but setting up the cultivators is another puzzle.

Yes this is what he was talking about.

I would suggest you fix up a set of row markers. If you go with the Yetter planter (Very nice, the old JD 71s were great plate planters) on a toolbar it would be easy to add a row marker. Then you can center the planter and the cultivator on the tractor. Offsetting planter and cultivator will make for a big headache IMO because you could only go one way, then turn around, deadhead back, and then go again.

jpayne

Postby jpayne » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:21 am

Super A wrote:I would suggest you fix up a set of row markers. If you go with the Yetter planter (Very nice, the old JD 71s were great plate planters) on a toolbar it would be easy to add a row marker. Then you can center the planter and the cultivator on the tractor. Offsetting planter and cultivator will make for a big headache IMO because you could only go one way, then turn around, deadhead back, and then go again.

If keeping the planter centered, wouldn't that make 36" centers impossible? From my measurements, and my tires are all the way in, 36" is only possible if the planter is offset to 18" from the center of one the tires. Yes, this would cause you to have to only plant in one direction each row.

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
1950 Super A "Old Ugly"
1954 Super A-1
Buncha other junk

Postby Super A » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:49 am

jpayne wrote:
Super A wrote:I would suggest you fix up a set of row markers. If you go with the Yetter planter (Very nice, the old JD 71s were great plate planters) on a toolbar it would be easy to add a row marker. Then you can center the planter and the cultivator on the tractor. Offsetting planter and cultivator will make for a big headache IMO because you could only go one way, then turn around, deadhead back, and then go again.

If keeping the planter centered, wouldn't that make 36" centers impossible? From my measurements, and my tires are all the way in, 36" is only possible if the planter is offset to 18" from the center of one the tires. Yes, this would cause you to have to only plant in one direction each row.

No it is possible, you would rely on your row marker to keep the rows 36" apart. When you were done Instead of your wheel tracks being centered on each other, each pass would be 8" inside the centerline of the last tire track. In other words, the wheels will overlap the last pass 8'. Then when you cultivate each tire will be 4" past the centerline of each row middle.

I was always taught to set a row marker so you follow the mark it made with the centerline of the tractor. If that was the case you would fab up your marker to mark the ground 36" away from the centerline of the planter (which would be the same as the tractor centerline.) If you wanted to, you could follow the mark with your front tire. In that case the marker would mark the ground 58" from the centerline of the planter (36" + 22" = 58".) This dimension would vary depending on exactly where you mount the marker. I always set my row markers up on larger planters mathematically, then make a practice run to "fine tune" them. Especially when sighting the mark with the centerline of the tractor. This is kind of a long, drawn out answer but hopefully it makes sense.....

Al

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
1950 Super A "Old Ugly"
1954 Super A-1
Buncha other junk

Postby Super A » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:01 am

Here's an example of what I was talking about. Photo from the IH Archives at the WI Historical Society. This guy is cultivating a crop that was planted with the wheel tread not matching the row width. You can see how the wheels sort of overlapped each other instead of being centered.

Al

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”