This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Score of the week!

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07727
Tractors Owned: 1 -'58 International Cub Lo-Boy
2 - '46 International A's
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A
1 - ‘41 Ford 9N with a ‘49 8N Engine
1 - ‘48 (5641) Allis Chalmers G

Score of the week!

Postby Lt.Mike » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:40 pm

Relentlessly if not mindlessly surfing Craigslist for a couple minutes almost every evening finally paid off.
One of the many hard to find things, a factory hand lift for an early "A" popped up an hours drive away and for only $50. I will usually dicker on the price but when someone posts a great price out of the gate I'd feel guilty to offer less. To top it off I was also there to pick out a complete Cub trans for a friend from two that he had. Again $50. Correct me if I'm wrong but that's a bargain too.
One trans was a '50 the other a '71. The '71 had a broken bolt where the rear rockshaft bolts on. Other than that it was complete and 100% working. I grabbed the '50 so my buddy didn't have to wrestle a busted bolt. With that deal done he offered the '71 trans to me to take as a parts trans for another $20! Ya, I grabbed it. :wink:
I asked what else he may have and ended up with a Cub grader blade (just the blade with scraper edge). $30 got that. No haggling what so ever.
I told him he was making me buy'em to which he explained he was moving soon and needed to clear things out. Timing is everything! :D

Now I haven't seen a lot of these hand lifts but this one looks to be the genuine article. Two bolts in a bracket bolt up just forward of the PTO and one bolt to the torque tube. The small springs need replacing but that's easy. Now I will be on the look out for a Farmall A front grader blade/snowplow and a front rockshaft. The snowplows aren't nearly as easy to find for the "A" as they are for the Cub and when you do the seller has put an unreasonably high price on it. I have seen them at a realistic price too but also at a time when I was short on cash. Isn't that usually the way? :roll:
I believe another plow will eventually become available but the rockshaft has me worried. I put an ad on the vine hoping someone may have one and care to part with it.
Below are pics of the lift sitting on one of my "A"s. Can someone confirm that this is indeed the lift that would have been used on my '46 "A" back in the day?

Quote by Gary Pickeral I like
"If it can cast a shadow, it can be restored"

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Score of the week!

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:35 pm

Those are the levers for a cultivator with Pneumatic Lift, not hand lift. But they are for an A/B cultivator.

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A

Postby Lt.Mike » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:33 pm

Jim Becker wrote:Those are the levers for a cultivator with Pneumatic Lift, not hand lift. But they are for an A/B cultivator.

Thanks Jim. Do you think I can make them work for operating a front grader blade? That is what I had in mind. Hoping this doesn't come down to close but no cigar. :roll:
Mike.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:36 pm

Adapting any set of levers to a snow plow will require some work. You will just have to see what you can come up with. Check the range of motion for those levers, you may find it pretty short.

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A

Postby Lt.Mike » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:35 pm

The Plow with it's mounts, the hand lift and the rockshaft are the parts I really need most to make this work. The links that go between I can fabricate.
I'm not one to give up that easy. If the handlift is short on its reach I may be able to amplify its lift with the rockshaft. That is if and when I find a rockshaft.
Your gentle in your answer Jim, I gather I could have found a better lever for this purpose. I'll keep an eye out.
The fellow I got this from had the cultivators too. Maybe I should reach back out to him and grab them too keeping the set together.
Mike

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:27 am

Lt.Mike wrote:...The fellow I got this from had the cultivators too. Maybe I should reach back out to him and grab them too keeping the set together.
Mike

I think that may be a good idea. Sounds like you were in the right place at the right time.

Congrats on your finds, even if you don't get a hand lift out of the deal. :coffee:
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

AGrinthal
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07848
eBay ID: thatfarmallguy
Tractors Owned: 1943 Farmall M
1952 Farmall Cub
1951 Farmall Super A
1966 Farmall 140

Postby AGrinthal » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:56 am

Mike..
There's a guy in CT that is selling TWO lifts (along with a cultivator it lifts)! I just turned it down as I'm looking for cultivators for a SUPER "A" and apparently they are a totally different beast!

Andy

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A

Postby Lt.Mike » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:32 am

Thanks but I don' really need the cultivators. I grabbed the lift I have now to possibly use with a snowplow for my early A. I was going to scop up the cultivators that went with it if they were cheap enough or nearby just to have the set in hand so that if I was to resell them in the future it would make it all more easier to sell.
I wouldn't gouge anyone if I did sell, its just easier to sell a set than odd pieces.

I may go another route on how to make a snowplow work on my '46 A. I was over my buddys house and watched him working the plow on his Quad. It used a small electric winch that powered up and down. It worked better than I would expect. I know I can fabricate a mount for the winch that could lift a factory plow. It would replace the rockshaft, handlift, and connecting rod (rockshaft to plow). It would be bolt in and not alter the tractor or any other factory part in anyway. I don't think I'm going to find that rockshaft but I can get that winch and fabricate the mount for under $100. Thats sounding like a plan.
Now I will be looking for a reasonably priced plow set but I'm probably not going to see the prices come down on those until spring or at least until the snow melts.
Mike.
PS-I'm also toying with the idea of using the handlift to control cables that may adjust the angle of the plow (?).

AGrinthal
10+ Years
10+ Years
1952 Farmall Cub
1951 Farmall Super A
1966 Farmall 140

Postby AGrinthal » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:11 am

Ok.. Just noticed your "Score" and read it. The guy wanted $150 for the whole thing.

If you are looking for a plow I have a Farmall A plow I'm looking to sell . Its just the Plow part. with the back end connection that would go under the front tool bar. I picked it up when I got my super "A" and I wasn't sure how it would hookup and the woman I purchased from said that was all there was (she had sold the tractor it was on). I kinda thought there were some missing pieces but I wasn't sure and I wanted a snow plow (Not a grader blade) so I took the chance.

Well it Doesn't hook up since the other parts are missing and I'm not interested in building the rest needed. Was going to list it on craigslist this weekend. (Winter goal is to get rid of my Excess parts!).

Andy

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A

Postby Lt.Mike » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:29 pm

AGrinthal wrote:Ok.. Just noticed your "Score" and read it. The guy wanted $150 for the whole thing.

If you are looking for a plow I have a Farmall A plow I'm looking to sell . Its just the Plow part. with the back end connection that would go under the front tool bar. I picked it up when I got my super "A" and I wasn't sure how it would hookup and the woman I purchased from said that was all there was (she had sold the tractor it was on). I kinda thought there were some missing pieces but I wasn't sure and I wanted a snow plow (Not a grader blade) so I took the chance.

Well it Doesn't hook up since the other parts are missing and I'm not interested in building the rest needed. Was going to list it on craigslist this weekend. (Winter goal is to get rid of my Excess parts!).

Andy

Andy I'll shot you a PM on this but I'm not sure if you understand that the grader blade is the snowplow once an extension is bolted to the top of the blade. Its just a flat steel plate the width of the blade and about 10" to it's height.
I'm been sitting here having just balanced my checkbook, end of the month waiting for that pension check, and thinking that I too may need to clear out some of the odd tractor parts I have no need for. :wink:
Mike

AGrinthal
10+ Years
10+ Years
1952 Farmall Cub
1951 Farmall Super A
1966 Farmall 140

Postby AGrinthal » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:07 pm

Yes I know about the Grader blade with an extension.....and I don't believe this is a grader blade and if it is then the super "A" came with a freaking heavy grader blade that makes the cub grader blade look like a toy! Anyway one of my to do's this weekend is to take a picture of it and get it on craigslist. I need rebuild the "Tractor Till"!

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A

Postby Lt.Mike » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:32 pm

Yes bigger isn't necessarily better is it?. Talk about biting off more than you can chew. Too big of a blade and the A probably couldn't push the snow it'd collect.

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:49 pm

Here's another example of an A hand lift. I don't know beans about A stuff, I'm more into the Supers. :tractor: I think this one does not use the exhaust lift.

IMG_2737.JPG

IMG_2738.JPG

IMG_2739.JPG
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A

Postby Lt.Mike » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:29 pm

Obviously I'm no expert either. Jim can you add you input?
Can we get an amen?
Mike.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:53 pm

Al posted pictures of a correct hand lift lever bundle for an A cultivator.

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”