This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

1950 SA

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Brly
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 17701

1950 SA

Postby Brly » Thu May 14, 2015 7:46 pm

Hi Folks,

Just bought a 1950 SA last night. It is the first Farmall I've owned, although I've spent time on a C at my Grandparent's farm.
The tractor is in great shape. It was overhauled about 100 hours ago, runs great, new rubber, new brakes, new clutch, etc. Has a snow plow, belly mower, all 4 wheel weights, rear chains and cultivators. All are in good shape, definitely usable.
The only issue is that it won't idle down. It doesn't run away, but it's certainly not at idle when the throttle lever is all the way back.
The previous owner said the governor spring had just broken that week. He assured me this was the problem and offered to fix it or knock a couple hundred off the price if I wanted to fix it myself. I'm fairly handy and not afraid to dig into it, plus, I want to get to know how these things work, so I saved the money (hopefully!).
Been reading a lot here. Looks like I'll get both governor springs and a new thrust washer.
Unfortunately, I won't be able to bring it home for a couple weeks, so I haven't had a chance to troubleshoot it myself.
I go over all of the linkages and such when I get the chance, but is there anything else I should look out for?
I was happy to find this forum. I knew there would be something like this out there!

Thanks,
Ben

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 1950 SA

Postby Dale Finch » Thu May 14, 2015 10:10 pm

Welcome!! I happen to own a SA, along with 3 '55 Cubs. If you have not already found them, there are some manuals in the link above (RUDI'S MANUALS), and if you scroll down you will find the SA Manuals. Several forum members have SA's, so hopefully you will get the answers you need.

The SA is quite similar to the Cub as far as the governor and linkage is concerned. You might start by using your favorite penetrating oil (PB Blaster, Kroil, ?) and give ALL the linkage connect points a good shot and work them to make sure there is no binding or "slop".

Congratulations on your "new" SA, and have fun with it (him/her)!! :D
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Brly
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 17701

Postby Brly » Sat May 16, 2015 7:46 am

Thanks Dale.
Can't wait to bring it home and get started.
I found the manuals. They will be a big help.
Gonna be a long couple weeks waiting to pick it up...

Ben

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Dale Finch » Sat May 16, 2015 8:53 am

Well, I can give you something to do while you wait for yoirs!! I have my SA on the trailer in my driveway and today will be taking it over to the shop I have use of her in Chapel Hill. You are welcome to head over and help with these projects:
1. Install water pump
2. "While the hood is off", install a new front seal (perhaps with a Speedi Sleeve)
3. Swap out leads on ammeter...when I did the big rebuild I put them on backwards.
4. Troubleshoot the Touch Control to fix the bleeding down/ lowering of mower. Then I can FINALLY return the pressure guage I borrowed from a fellow forum member! (sorry about the delay!)

MINI FEST ANYONE? Name your days(s)! :big smile:
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”