This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Disc harrow woes

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
easydog
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 27893
Circle of Safety: Y

Disc harrow woes

Postby easydog » Mon May 04, 2015 1:36 pm

So, to make a long story short, I had a little accident with my disc harrow which left me with a minimally bent harrow frame, and a pretty badly bent left side rear gang. It still pulls, but doesn't really dig well due to one corner being lifted up ~4 inches. I took off the bent gang and went to a metal fabricator locally who works on tractors to see if he could fix it. He said he could fabricate the whole thing, but pointed out the axle of the gang was totally worn down. He told me my money would be better spent on another disc harrow. Any idea how in the world I could source another harrow that attaches to the draw bar like this one? Should I buy an old similar harrow that's 3pt and adapt it to my old tractor? Should I buy one of these http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... 009_404009 ? I'm in a fix......

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Re: Disc harrow woes

Postby Super A » Mon May 04, 2015 8:00 pm

easydog wrote:So, to make a long story short, I had a little accident with my disc harrow which left me with a minimally bent harrow frame, and a pretty badly bent left side rear gang. It still pulls, but doesn't really dig well due to one corner being lifted up ~4 inches. I took off the bent gang and went to a metal fabricator locally who works on tractors to see if he could fix it. He said he could fabricate the whole thing, but pointed out the axle of the gang was totally worn down. He told me my money would be better spent on another disc harrow. Any idea how in the world I could source another harrow that attaches to the draw bar like this one? Should I buy an old similar harrow that's 3pt and adapt it to my old tractor? Should I buy one of these http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... 009_404009 ? I'm in a fix......

Pictures please. I bet it's a King. You can probably buy a lot of aftermarket parts including the axle bolts from Agri-Supply although I have never bought any King parts. You could buy a three point hitch disk and then fabricate a hitch I guess.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

easydog
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 27893

Postby easydog » Tue May 05, 2015 8:29 am

Here it is Al. It is flipped over obviously so I could try to straighten the bent gang. Didn't work, but I did burn my concrete pad.

harrow.jpg

I looked up the ASC website. Looks like I might be able to find some parts to fix it as long as I get the frame rebuilt.

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Tue May 05, 2015 9:21 am

easydog wrote:Here it is Al. It is flipped over obviously so I could try to straighten the bent gang. Didn't work, but I did burn my concrete pad.

harrow.jpg

I looked up the ASC website. Looks like I might be able to find some parts to fix it as long as I get the frame rebuilt.

This is my opinion but I think I would rebuild the frame and go from there. If you feel like it's just too far gone, get your welder to price you what it would cost to build you a hitch for the new disk to allow you to use it on your tractor. EDIT: I just looked at your link. I would definitely fix your disk. The one from Northern Tool is way too light to do much!

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”