Wheel weight question

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Earthworx
Zip Code: 32666

Wheel weight question

Postby Earthworx » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:12 pm

Bought my first Farmall just before Christmas, cub, and it is in great working order with duplex planter and lots of cultivating goodies. It has rear weights on standard looking steel rims. I'm a large fellow, so the cub and I don't see eye to eye on the comfort part of gardening. So I purchased a Super A. Will keep the cub but the Super A has more leg room for sure. I didn't notice at the time of purchase that the left side has a standard looking steel rim. The right side, however, the rim is a cast weight. The seller put a set of rear wheel weights on in the purchase deal but why the difference. Did I just buy a mismatched set of wheels or is there a reason for this set up like a sickle mower or something.

Stalkcutter
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 37143
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Wheel weight question

Postby Stalkcutter » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:27 pm

Earthworx,

Those wheels are not mismatched, thats how the Super A came from the factory. Since the tractor is offset, this was a way to make the tractor more stable.
Stalkcutter
Chapter 9 TN Circle of Safety

Earthworx

Postby Earthworx » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:49 pm

Thanks For the info Stalkcutter. I guess what really made me notice is that I need to get it as narrow as it will go to get between the rows I planted with the cub. Again thanks for the help.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:01 pm

The seat post base(under the tool box) on the Cub has extra holes that allow the post to be moved forward or backward. If that hasn't already be done, it might make it more comfortable for you.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:58 am

Both my A--and Super A has the 1-cast and 1 pressed wheel! thanks; sonny

Earthworx

Postby Earthworx » Sun May 03, 2015 8:24 pm

Thanks for the help fellas. Bob the seat base is as far back as it will go on the cub. The cub, I'm guessing wasn't designed around a 7' farmer. Wouldn't trade it for anything.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Sun May 10, 2015 8:32 am

The A will not work very good in gardens as its too big!---cubs don't do real well either but you can wiggle them around better and they steer easier!---the A NEEDS power steering for close work!--I mow with mine and it kills me to steer it!---And no the steering is not froze up---its well greased and A-SA just steer hard compared to cubs! thanks; sonny

Earthworx

Postby Earthworx » Mon May 11, 2015 7:23 pm

Thanks sonny. If I could figure out how to get a picture file small enough to upload id share my garden. There is plenty of room for the super A and a 140 IS NEXT. IVE BEEN BITTEN BY THE FARMALL BUG. The garden is really a small farm to teach two young ladies the lessons of life. They are keeping track of expenditures and picking. Hopefully they will be selling squash, zucchini, and cucumbers this weekend. Peas, beans, tomatoes, corn, and okra aren't far from being ready. We took a chance and planted early o we could get an early harvest. They have been working really hard.

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "The Paperweight"
Cub powered IH 52R combine
Grandfather's 1948 Super A
White demo Super A-"Ol Whitey"
1950 Super A "Old Ugly"
1954 Super A-1
Buncha other junk

Postby Super A » Mon May 11, 2015 8:46 pm

SONNY wrote:The A will not work very good in gardens as its too big!---cubs don't do real well either but you can wiggle them around better and they steer easier!---the A NEEDS power steering for close work!--I mow with mine and it kills me to steer it!---And no the steering is not froze up---its well greased and A-SA just steer hard compared to cubs! thanks; sonny

A Super A will work nicely in a garden, in fact nicer than a Cub if you factor in the fact you have a front and a rear lift so you can cultivate all the way to the ends of the row without tearing up 4' of yard beyond the end of the row. A Super A has three actual working speeds, will pull a disk harrow heavy enough that will actually cut into the ground, and a Super A will not lose its footing and "dogtrot" with the rear end trying to pass the front if the ground is uneven or the row middles are off like a Cub. The Cub has a little bit of advantage if you need to go real slow, as in hold the throttle against the governor idle as low as possible slow, but that's about it. If your Super A is hard to handle something is bent or damaged. I have both and I can tell little if any difference between steering effort on the Cub vs. the Super A.

Earthworx, move the wheels on your Cub out to 44" (one hole showing on the front axle) and move the wheels on your Super A in to 44" (front axle no holes showing) and everything will match.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
"It ain't a !@*% A. It's a SUPER A!"

Earthworx

Postby Earthworx » Wed May 13, 2015 6:12 pm

Thanks Al. That is the plan. I bedded and planted on 40" centers this spring. We will be making both tractors 44". I want to use the cub for planting and side dressing and the A for bedding and cultivating. We have a 60hp green tractor for the turn plow and harrows. My plan is to add a 140 or a 274. Can you tell me what the narrowest width you can make a 140.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed May 13, 2015 11:03 pm

There is a 40" setting for the 140 rear wheels. However, I doubt that you can set to 40" unless your tires are 9.5-24 or less. Your tires are probably bigger than that.

Gordon1121
Zip Code: 40475

Postby Gordon1121 » Sun May 17, 2015 9:35 pm

Jim makes a really good point on the tire size. We plowed tobacco for years on 40" rows with the old style 10.5 Firestone tires. Went to the 11.2 Titans because I couldn't find the others around me and 42" is all they want and it will rub the plants if you aren't careful. Another thing to is when your set for the 40" rows their even more a level ground tractor.

Earthworx

Postby Earthworx » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:20 pm

All the help\info was much appreciated. I got both tractors set at 44" and they are ready for a Florida fall garden. This years spring garden was a success.

Image[/URL]