This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

1951 Farmall Super AV Restoration

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
flower509
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 76126
Tractors Owned: My Grandfather's 1951 Farmall Super AV

1951 Farmall Super AV Restoration

Postby flower509 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:24 pm

1951 Super AV 2015-04-02.jpg
My grandfather's 1951 Super AV where she sits today.

I am planning to restore my grandfather's 1951 Farmall Super AV and plan to use this thread as my restoration log.

My grandfather passed away in Nov. 2013, a few months short of 93 years old. As the story goes, my grandfather and his brother (my great-uncle) bought the tractor together. When they quit vegetable farming it mostly sat idle in my grandfather's barn. When my great-uncle died, his younger brother bought out his half. At some point, he also bought out my grandfather's half. Several years ago my dad approached him about the tractor and he gave it to my dad. The tractor has been parked behind my parents home for a few years now. A few months ago I mentioned to my dad that I would like to restore the old tractor and that is when he shared with me the ownership trail.

The first thing we need to do is get it out of the weather. It has a pretty good layer of rust on it and will require a lot of cosmetic work. On the other hand, Dad seems to think it is in good share mechanically.

Although I am technically inclined, I don't have very much experience with engines, transmissions or the other mechanical aspects of tractors. So, this will be a challenge and huge learning experience as much as a labor of love.

SN Plate.jpg
It took several rounds of reading the plate, and online research of the serial number and what I thought I read on the plate as the model before finally figuring it out. I initially thought the double A "AA" was an M but the serial numbers didn't work out until I finally figured out it was a Super AV.

I am very certain this was the first of many challenges I will encounter with this restoration and what I think I see will not really be what I saw until after I've seen it several times and then I will be certain I saw what I now see.

Baby Birds.jpg
I started pulling the currently dead vines from the tractor. However, Mother Nature has something else in store for the tractor at the moment. Out of the corner of my eye, I caught a glimpse of a baby bird raising its head for feeding. When I first spotted them only one egg had hatched. Momma Bird was not impressed with my presence so I left but returned an hour later to a second hatchling. By the next morning, the third had hatched.

Momma Bird.jpg
After my third visit to check on the babies Momma bird had had enough of me. So I didn't return to the tractor. I will let Momma Bird and Mother Nature do their thing. I will be back to visit my parents in a few weeks and will check on the tractor and its residents then.
Have a great day!!
Flower509

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 1951 Farmall Super AV Restoration

Postby Super A » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:31 pm

Good luck, looks like a fun project. I want to add a Super AV to the stable one of these days!

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

dgrapes59
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45067
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub, 2-1955 Loboy w FH, a few plows, discs, mowers, blades, carrier & such
Several '61 CC Originals, Cub Cadet 100, several 102's & 122's, 124, various CC options & implements, #1Trailer, 1963 Springfield, JD 770, Ford 8N

Postby dgrapes59 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:52 pm

Welcome aboard! Congratulations on obtaining your grandfathers tractor, restoring it will be a labor of love! Take your time and do your homework and you will have a fine machine for generations to come. :wink:

I am looking forward to following your progress, thanks for sharing,
David

Dons Super A
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 45122
Tractors Owned: 1952 Farmall Super A
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Dons Super A » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:51 pm

Welcome! I'm on the same course as you. My grandfather passed in Nov. of 13 and I inherited his 52 super A. Lucky for me (i think) mine was inside but mostly in boxes. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. Welcome again and don't be afraid to ask any questions you have!

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:51 pm

It's funny about your bird nest.....I went to check out the back half of my Super A demo day before yesterday and sure enough, a wren had built a nest under the touch control! Guess I'll have to wait 'till she raises her brood before I drag it in to work on it!

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”