0 to 40 scale on fertilizer distributer

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Paul Bertrand
Zip Code: 70514

0 to 40 scale on fertilizer distributer

Postby Paul Bertrand » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:01 pm

I purchased a Farmall 140 that came with a fertilizer distributer. Everything works fine. There is a scale on the side of the distriuter that is marked 0 to 40. The higher you go on the scale the more fertilizer it puts out. But what does this scale mean? Is it pounds of fertilizer per acre, pounds per 100' of row, or what?

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 0 to 40 scale on fertilizer distributer

Postby Barnyard » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:13 pm

Pounds per acre based on row spacing.

Here is an example from the manual for a Cub fertilizer.
It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something.
- Franklin D. Roosevelt -

Circle of Safety

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "The Paperweight"
Cub powered IH 52R combine
Grandfather's 1948 Super A
White demo Super A-"Ol Whitey"
1950 Super A "Old Ugly"
1954 Super A-1
Buncha other junk

Postby Super A » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:14 pm

I have never really looked this up but I expect it's just a number.

A lot of variables will determine the rate. The best way to make sure it is putting out what you want is to choose your fertilizer and calibrate the distributor.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
57 Lo-Boy
52 F-Cub
49 F-Cub

Postby Bill Hudson » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:34 pm

Super A wrote:... The best way to make sure it is putting out what you want is to choose your fertilizer and calibrate the distributor.

Al

Thomas,

Absolutely. Here is a process to do the calibration. http://profact.rutgers.edu/pages/training_module.aspx?CID=18 Not exactly what you will be doing but the principles are the same. Fertilizer is expensive, don't waste it by applying too much, or sacrifice yield by not putting on enough.

Bill
"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "The Paperweight"
Cub powered IH 52R combine
Grandfather's 1948 Super A
White demo Super A-"Ol Whitey"
1950 Super A "Old Ugly"
1954 Super A-1
Buncha other junk

Postby Super A » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:17 pm

Bill Hudson wrote:
Super A wrote:... The best way to make sure it is putting out what you want is to choose your fertilizer and calibrate the distributor.

Al

Thomas,

Absolutely. Here is a process to do the calibration. http://profact.rutgers.edu/pages/training_module.aspx?CID=18 Not exactly what you will be doing but the principles are the same. Fertilizer is expensive, don't waste it by applying too much, or sacrifice yield by not putting on enough.

Bill

I just skimmed this but it looks like an easy-to-follow set of directions. It doesn't take long to calibrate a unit when you have all the tools at hand and it can save a lot of money in fertilizer.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:01 pm

It will also depend on the star wheel you have there is a light [ 14 tooth] a medium [ 7 tooth thin] and a heavy 7 tooth thick ] and the number of teeth on the drive gear as well as the driven gear. If you start with it about 1 /4 way and if you have the medium wheel you should be in the neighborhood of 175 lbs an acre
Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Paul Bertrand

Postby Paul Bertrand » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:45 pm

Thanks to all for your comments, especially Barnyards chart. Center of tire to center of tire on the 140 is 42", so the chart should be fairly accurate. I will only be using this machine to sidedress crops such as corn and potatoes. That's why I wanted to know if it was pounds per acre. In the past, I sidedressed everything by hand and eyeballed it. Never had a problem! No matter what I set the scale at, I will eyeball the amount of fertilizer being dropped and adjust accordingly.Just planted my Irish potatoes this month, and they recommend sidedressing at 3 lbs. per 100' of row when the vines are 8" to 12" tall. But I can figure that out easily. Corn, on the other hand, they recomend 120 lbs of nitrate per acre. That's why I wanted to know what the 0 to 40 scale meant! Of course, no matter what I set the scale at, once I start dropping fertilizerI will still eyeball the amount being dropped and adjust accordingly. It just beats the heck out of sidedressing by hand!!!
Thanks for your input.
Paul

Paul Bertrand

Postby Paul Bertrand » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:50 pm

Of course a little common sense goes along with that!