This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Super A stuck clutch

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
grantaidan
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63366
Tractors Owned: Farmall C's-one runs, one doesn't
Farmall Super C
International 350 Utility
Case IH C50
John Deere 5065E

Super A stuck clutch

Postby grantaidan » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:57 pm

I have a Super A that was operating fine before I parked in my shed for a few months. Now the clutch will not disengage when I push down the clutch pedal. I suppose the clutch plate has seized to flywheel. Is there a reasonably easy fix. I have mid-mount mower on the tractor and want avoid removing mower. I believe I actually have Super A-1 because it has a water pump and the square front axle. It was probably a highway maintenance tractor because it also has a foot throttle.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Mike
A B C

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Super A stuck clutch

Postby Super A » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:50 pm

grantaidan wrote:I have a Super A that was operating fine before I parked in my shed for a few months. Now the clutch will not disengage when I push down the clutch pedal. I suppose the clutch plate has seized to flywheel. Is there a reasonably easy fix. I have mid-mount mower on the tractor and want avoid removing mower. I believe I actually have Super A-1 because it has a water pump and the square front axle. It was probably a highway maintenance tractor because it also has a foot throttle.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Mike

Square axle was more common on the industrial tractors, which would have been Super A-I's. (That's an I, not an one) Some regular Super A tractors got water pumps added later.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Bezirk
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 22843
Tractors Owned: Farmall Cub 1949, Oliver OC3 crawler 1951, Ford 8 N 1948, Oliver 77 Row Crop 1953, JohnDeere, La, 1941, John Deere 4115/w loader, 2004, John Deere stationary power unit LUC, Farmall M, 1946, Oliver 77 Row crop w/ loader

Postby Bezirk » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:45 am

Lugging it down in high gear is worth a try sometimes that will break them loose. Recently I had an A that was so stuck that we ended up splitting the tractor ,after cleaning up the disc and burnishing the flywheel it is working fine. The clutch disk and pressure plate were in very good condition or We would have replaced them. That tractor sat several years inside and mice built nest in the clutch area, we first pressure washed all debris out but could not get it to break loose until we split it

Berlin
I started out with nothing and now I only have half of that left !

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:43 am

What Bezirk said. Wedge down clutch pedal with stick, pull around in high at low speed till engine stops turning. Stopping and starting helps. Hope you "Git-her-Done" without much problem.
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:19 pm

If you choose to try to free the stuck clutch by driving the tractor, make sure you point it in a direction where you won't hit anything before you start it up, and drive it to an area where you have plenty of room to maneuver if you get into a panic situation and forget about the kill switch.

That said, don't forget about the kill switch.

grantaidan
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63366
Tractors Owned: Farmall C's-one runs, one doesn't
Farmall Super C
International 350 Utility
Case IH C50
John Deere 5065E

Postby grantaidan » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:17 pm

Thanks, all for the tips.