This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Update on my A

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Capnball
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 37097
Tractors Owned: 1941 Farmall A, serial #FAA 79827

Update on my A

Postby Capnball » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:24 pm

Sorry it's been awhile since my last update. I haven't had very much time or money to throw at the A lately, but I have managed to get a couple things further along... I will be posting another ID thread soon, as I have unearthed quite a few more implement pieces. A few of 'em, I know what they are, and a few I'm not sure about. I was able to find the cylinder, piston, and the other endcap for the pneumatic lift. I also found the front rockshaft, a set of rough king spring cultivators, a set of neat disc cultivators(?), a couple of IHC spring trip cultivator plows, and many other odds and ends.

I've also been looking over my belly-mounted sickle bar mower, and I found an international decal, but no model info anywhere. I'll post photos later.

As far as the tractor itself, I went ahead and removed the head. The engine has been rebuilt; it has 3.125" pistons and sleeves. There was mud dauber dirt in more than one cylinder, and quite a bit in one of 'em. The sleeves all look really good, except for one pretty deep scoring line in one of them. I cleaned the tops of the pistons up, and am in the process of cleaning the head up. Some of the valves look like they're sealing good, some not. I've removed and numbered all the valves, and will clean them up and lap the valves and seats.

What can y'all tell me about these pistons? I don't know what I'm looking at. Are they some kind of high(er) compression pistons? Here's some pics, before and after cleaning.

Jordan Goodwin
1941 Farmall A

Micah 6:8

Our blog: http://www.home-at-winshaw.com/

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Capnball
5+ Years
5+ Years

Re: Update on my A

Postby Capnball » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:17 am

No bites? Thought for sure someone would know something about those pistons...
Jordan Goodwin
1941 Farmall A

CPIII
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 77355
eBay ID: czechiii
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub SN 54XXX (Captain Crunch)
47 Farmall A (Patches)
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby CPIII » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:40 pm

I have similar luck ...asked a question about sleeve & piston kits....nothing but crickets for two weeks now...This forum doesn't seem as active as the cub forum. I remember when I was stuck on something and posted a question. I was about to get up to go back and someone had already responded with the answer. Miss that. Oh well guess the A's are not as popular.
Good luck sir....
Charles Patek III
Some days - Chicken.......Some days - Feathers
Words to live by....

Capnball
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Capnball » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:03 pm

I've gotten great help on some other questions- and some have gone unanswered. Problem is, as small as the A crowd here seems to be, there doesn't seem to be another forum anywhere that's devoted specifically to A's- at least not one that has at least the following this board does. I am very thankful for every bit of help I've gotten on here.
Jordan Goodwin
1941 Farmall A

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:10 pm

Several people knowledgeable on A, etc. however, they are not as many as the Cub. (Oh, I'm not one of those full of A knowledge) Asking your questions helps to build interest in the As.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:27 pm

I have an A that I rebuilt, that is, everything BUT the engine! I do have an engine on a stand with a broken crank that I have planned to dismantle for parts, but haven't gotten around to it. It'll be interesting to see what the pistons look like in that one. I'll be back in town after Sep 16, and plan to start work on some SA stuff...maybe I will take a look at that engine then.

Where's Super A??!! :big give up:
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:00 pm

Dale Finch wrote:... Where's Super A??!! :big give up:

Probably busy with the start of school. It is a bit more involved when you are the teacher. Gotta get ready for those youngsters.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

havoc1482
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01085
eBay ID: havoc1482
Tractors Owned: _______ 1948 Farmall Super A
Twitter ID: @havoc1482

Postby havoc1482 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:16 pm

I have a Super A. Its my only tractor. I have never seen those pistons, but I do believe IH put them in optional for higher elevation tractors.
Mike

I bleed Black & Gold

IH Collectors Club New England (Chapter 18)

Western Mass. (The 413)

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:04 pm

I have never seen those piston tops before. There are several suppliers, manufacturers, of piston and sleeve kits for the tractor. Guessing the answer is which kit was available at the time the engine rebuilder had available and price.

Rebuild a Farmall B engine years ago. Priced a sleeve and piston kit from several suppliers. Went with the least expensive kit.
I have an excuse. CRS.

jeb2
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45601
Tractors Owned: 1945 International A
1950 Super A Demonstrator Basket Case
1987 Cub Cadet 1810
1989 Cub Cadet 1811
1987 Cub Cadet 1812

Postby jeb2 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:16 am

I have rebuilt a few A's and have never seen those pistons. However, check out this ebay item:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Farmall-C-A-S ... 4ada0000a0

Looks a lot like the ones you have. When you enlarge the ebay pictures you can read M W Add Pow'r. Do a search and you can find some interesting discussions about these pistons. They seem to have been very popular in the 50's and 60's.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:16 am

You're probably not going to find a group that's as fanatical about any other SINGLE model of tractor as you are about the Cub.

An A would be pretty much lumped in with the rest of the letter-series Farmalls. The Cub has always been the red-headed stepchild, the underdog, which I think is a big reason why they garner such a following.

There are plenty of places online where they discuss Farmalls in general. Yesterday's Tractors and Red Power Magazine are two such forums I participate in.

Odds are those pistons were available for not only the A, but the B, H, and M at least, if not others.

They're not the IH high-altitude pistons or "Firecrater" pistons. They're not M&W either...

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”