This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Gas tank problems

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Capnball
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 37097
Tractors Owned: 1941 Farmall A, serial #FAA 79827

Gas tank problems

Postby Capnball » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:59 pm

So, took the tank off my A, and cleaned all the varnish out with acetone. Some crud came with it. Looking down inside the tank, it appears to be in surprisingly good shape, no rust as far I can tell. However, the tank is leaking slightly around the threaded insert in the bottom of the tank, where the sediment bowl attaches. What would the best fix be?
Jordan Goodwin
1941 Farmall A

Micah 6:8

Our blog: http://www.home-at-winshaw.com/

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Gas tank problems

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:20 pm

If it is leaking from the threads, I suggest removing the sediment bowl assembly, then cleaning it's threads and the ones in the tank, and then reinstalling using a good quality pipe thread dope. If you have a metal fuel line, you will need to have the line attached to the carb. before the final tightening of the sediment assembly so you can line up the fitting. Do NOT back it put to align the fuel line if it can be avoided.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Capnball
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 37097
Tractors Owned: 1941 Farmall A, serial #FAA 79827

Postby Capnball » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:26 pm

Thanks for the advice. No, it's not leaking through the threads themselves, but rather the seam between the tank body and the threaded part (which is spot welded to the tank). I thought about trying to seal it from the outside with solder or some such. Don't know if the threaded part is cast or machined, and I'm not 100% certain that its steel. Or, I would be tempted to try a fine MIG bead on a low power setting around the visible outside of the seam. The latter is probably not such a good idea, as it would get the part pretty dang hot.
Jordan Goodwin
1941 Farmall A

Micah 6:8

Our blog: http://www.home-at-winshaw.com/

booboo
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 60407

Postby booboo » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:42 pm

Try your local radiator repair shop.after there done they should be able to pressure test it .

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bob McCarty » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:40 pm

JB Weld adheres well to clean metal and is not gas soluble.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

CPIII
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 77355
eBay ID: czechiii
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub SN 54XXX (Captain Crunch)
47 Farmall A (Patches)
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby CPIII » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:59 am

I am not suggesting this as a solution ...just a bit a humor that falls in line with this. One day back when I was 16 and had my first car which was a 1972 Impala (What A tank!) I was going down the backroads to my grandpa's farm. I had to cross one of those old bridges where they simply had to big planks of timber laid across a bridge bed. I was a little off to one side and missed the planks. The back end of my car hit hard.....knocking a small hole in my gas tank...I almost ran out of gas before I got to the farm. I asked my grandpa what to do and he went back in the house and came out with a bar of Ivory soap. He rubbed the bar across the hole to fill it and Wha-La the leak stopped.....and being that I was a poor high school student...it stayed that way until I sold it 3 years later.. Grandpa also used Ivory soap for catfish bait. It is a very versatile product.
Charles Patek III
Some days - Chicken.......Some days - Feathers
Words to live by....

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:43 am

To seal where the flange attaches to the tank, clean the paint off as well as possible then use JB Weld Stick, It is designed for that type of use.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”