This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Help!

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
CPIII
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 77355
eBay ID: czechiii
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub SN 54XXX (Captain Crunch)
47 Farmall A (Patches)
Circle of Safety: Y

Help!

Postby CPIII » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:49 am

Well I removed the front end and front bolster on my A and found another crack on the non-repaired side on the engine block. So this block is trashed in my opinion as it has cracks through all for mounting holes. I did get a good block when I purchased this tractor. So I guess I am going to bite the bullet and use the good block. Now I don't have the funds to build a complete separate engine. So I am planning on just using the internals of the complete engine to install in the good block. It was running really well so I don't see why I won't be able to do this....am I missing something? I haven't ever done anything like this but it seem pretty straight forward. Swap the sleeves & pistons, crank, oil pump, cam shaft, lifters and head. I may be able to purchase about $200 worth of replacement parts. Where do you think the money will be best spent? Main bearings & rod bearings? Set of sleeves & pistons?

Any comment or help will be appreciated. Thanks!
Charles Patek III
Some days - Chicken.......Some days - Feathers
Words to live by....

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Re: Help!

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:46 pm

My guess is that gaskets and O-rings will eat up that $200 pretty handily.

The only hangup will be the cam. I'm not sure if this engine has cam bearings, but that would be a concern for me. If the cam bearings are worn badly enough in the replacement block you will not have good oil pressure. Cam bearings require special tools to install/remove, I believe. I'm not sure if they can be pulled and reinstalled in another block, either.

CPIII
10+ Years
10+ Years
47 Farmall A (Patches)

Postby CPIII » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:21 pm

:shock: Looking at the early posts some say there are no cam bearings.... I am confused
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=48211

This is looking bleaker by the minute....
Charles Patek III
Words to live by....

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:41 pm

Note that I said, "I'm not sure if this engine has cam bearings..."

Key words being "not sure." If it doesn't, it doesn't. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing, though.

CPIII
10+ Years
10+ Years
47 Farmall A (Patches)

Postby CPIII » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:02 am

Thanks Matt....I don't have a choice right now so I will let you know what I find. I really do appreciate the help. I am going to pull the sleeves out of the old block this week. So I am scrambling to build some sort of puller. I have most of the seals and gaskets already so the $200 I spoke about was not including seals. Which do you think would be the best place to use the the $200? If it were you what would you do?

Thanks again Matt!
Charles Patek III
Words to live by....

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Matt Kirsch » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:42 am

The sleeves are wet sleeves and are supposed to pop right out of the block with at most a hammer and an oak dowel. You might even be able to pull them by hand.

You'll need new o-rings for the bases of the sleeves to install them into the "new" block.

I don't know if it makes any difference, but what I would do is before pulling the sleeves, make a mark on the rim that can be easily located in relation to some point on both blocks that's the same. I was thinking of using a speed square or machinist's square against the side of the block to make the marks. That way the sleeves will go back in in the same orientation as they came out.

Just to qualify or disqualify myself here, I've only had my 240 torn down to the open block deck, and this is coming from my observations of that experience and from drawings and youtube videos of other people working on C113-C123 engines. Pistons and sleeves may be in the future of this 240. Already did a farmer fix valve job on it.

CPIII
10+ Years
10+ Years
47 Farmall A (Patches)

Postby CPIII » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:49 pm

Great point!! I would have never thought of keeping the same orientation....thanks!
I will give it a try and remove the sleeves from the old block.....one is out already...just have three to go.
Charles Patek III
Words to live by....

CPIII
10+ Years
10+ Years
47 Farmall A (Patches)

Postby CPIII » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:12 am

Well last night I tried to get the sleeves out of the good spare block.....no joy. I soaked the top of the sleeves with PB Blaster hopefully that will loosen them up a bit.
Charles Patek III
Words to live by....

CPIII
10+ Years
10+ Years
47 Farmall A (Patches)

Postby CPIII » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:14 am

Well this past Saturday i bought some steel and built a sleeve puller. I know wet sleeves are supposed to come out easy but I guess this block has been sitting a while with no oil or water. So the sleeves were really hard to remove. I built the puller out of 1/2 X 4' flat bar and 11 gauge 1" square tube for legs. The puller worked great. So now I guess I need to see about getting the block boiled and shot blasted. Has anyone ever tried E-tanking a block? Just wondering if that would work.
Charles Patek III
Words to live by....

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35630

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:20 pm

Quote: Has anyone ever tried E-tanking a block? Just wondering if that would work.

That is a good question, as I was actually wondering that the other day myself.
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”