This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Smokey Super A

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
havoc1482
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01085
eBay ID: havoc1482
Tractors Owned: _______ 1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: @havoc1482

Smokey Super A

Postby havoc1482 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:21 pm

So my Super A likes to smoke after it warms up. This started to occur after I replaced the cylinder head in January. Thoughts? Running rich? Poorly sealed head gasket? Like I said, this only happens when it gets warmed up, but there is no loss in power, just loss of oxygen to my lungs haha

Also, when the tractor gets warmed up, I notice a loss of oil pressure, it straddles the red zone on the gauge. My oil pressure to start with doesn't seem high and I'm thinking that there is sludge on the bottom of my oil pan constricting flow into the pump. The reason I think there is sludge because this also coincidentally happened when I added some Marvels Mystery Oil to the oil, maybe I loosened some crap up.
Mike

I bleed Black & Gold

IH Collectors Club New England (Chapter 18)

Western Mass. (The 413)

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Re: Smokey Super A

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:22 am

Smoke is black, blue, or white? Blue is oil smoke, and it indicates that oil is leaking past the valve stems, or is getting sucked up around the piston rings. IIRC, a dry compression test then a wet compression test will tell the tale. If the compression goes up significantly after you add oil (like a tablespoon full I think) to the cylinder, you've got worn rings. If it doesn't, it's a valve problem.

Loss of oil pressure as the tractor gets warmed up generally indicates worn bearings.

It's a long shot, but it is possible that the oil pump cover plate has become warped and is leaking. This can be remedied by lapping the plate back to flatness on some sand paper attached to a flat surface such as a granite stone or piece of thick glass.

havoc1482
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby havoc1482 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:39 pm

I can't think of the color right now, but I'm leaning towards white rather than blue. I haven't noticed a loss of oil, just pressure. I never had a pressure loss like this until I added the oil additive. I'll drain it and pull the pan this weekend and take a look at whats going under there.
Mike

I bleed Black & Gold

Western Mass. (The 413)

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:45 pm

White is generally water-based moisture, typically engine coolant. That is not good as it would indicate a cracked cylinder sleeve, cracked head, or blown head gasket.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:22 pm

You might re-torque the head bolts and see if that makes any difference. Did you Copper-Kote the head gasket before assembly?

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

havoc1482
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby havoc1482 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:29 pm

Bob McCarty wrote:You might re-torque the head bolts and see if that makes any difference. Did you Copper-Kote the head gasket before assembly?

Bob

Yep, copper coated the gasket. torqued to 80lbs. I hope its not a crack somewhere......
Mike

I bleed Black & Gold

Western Mass. (The 413)

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”