This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Normal whine or bad bearing? ('48 SA transmission)

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
havoc1482
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01085
eBay ID: havoc1482
Tractors Owned: _______ 1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: @havoc1482

Normal whine or bad bearing? ('48 SA transmission)

Postby havoc1482 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:12 pm

So, I've always wondered this. I know the gears are straight cut so they are going to be loud, but this sound seems way louder than it should. I've driven cubs, Cs, Hs, and a 140 and they all have whine but not annoyingly loud. It gets louder under load and quiets down if the tractor is moving faster than the engine (aka going down an incline) or if I push the clutch in.

What do you guys think? Is this something I should get looked at before something catastrophic happens? or is it okay? I only use this tractor for light duty. I mostly play with it and drive around. The only time it ever sees action is in the winter when I put the plow on it for snow. Its had this whine since I bought it last year (around August) and It hasn't gotten any better or worse sounding, just the same noise. I've taken the transmission cover off when I replaced the gasket and all the gears look good, nothing broken or obviously worn badly. (Of course I'm no expert) The tractor runs perfect. Since I got the new cylinder head (also rebuilt magneto myself) and I've been seafoaming it every fill up I've had no power issues or starting issues. Good throttle response, no clutch or shifting issues. Just this grinding/whining.

EDIT: also the noise doesn't change much in different gears, it gets a little louder as you move up in range, but not by much. I'm thinking that just has to do with loading in a higher gear.
Mike

I bleed Black & Gold

IH Collectors Club New England (Chapter 18)

Western Mass. (The 413)

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Re: Normal whine or bad bearing? ('48 SA transmission)

Postby Boss Hog » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:08 pm

not normal , bad bearings and maybe gears too . the straight cut gears make very little noise. When you hear { it only makes the normal farmall gear noise ] It is coming from someone tiring to sell a tractor with a bad transmission or finial.
Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

havoc1482
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby havoc1482 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:24 pm

Could it have to do anything with the driverside bullgear being basically dry? I just remembered my pan leaks and I haven't fixed it.... :headbang
Mike

I bleed Black & Gold

Western Mass. (The 413)

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:11 pm

If it does, then adding oil won't fix the problem.

When you run 'em dry long enough to develop a howl, the damage has already been done.

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:13 pm

Based on a Youtube video, I would guess transmission bearings. You should have heard what the ones sound like in my white demo!

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

havoc1482
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby havoc1482 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:27 pm

Matt Kirsch wrote:If it does, then adding oil won't fix the problem.

When you run 'em dry long enough to develop a howl, the damage has already been done.

Figured. They're not "dry" per se, but they aren't fully lubed. I just never got around to it because I barely used the Super A for more than a total of less than an hour a week. It had the growl when I bought it tho. I do believe though that it is bearings. My next question is: is this something I should fix immediately, or with regular TLC can I live with until I'm able to tear it down?
Mike

I bleed Black & Gold

Western Mass. (The 413)

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:58 pm

havoc1482 wrote:
Matt Kirsch wrote:If it does, then adding oil won't fix the problem.

Figured. They're not "dry" per se, but they aren't fully lubed. I just never got around to it because I barely used the Super A for more than a total of less than an hour a week. It had the growl when I bought it tho. I do believe though that it is bearings. My next question is: is this something I should fix immediately, or with regular TLC can I live with until I'm able to tear it down?

Plenty rolling around that sound worse. Unless you plan to plow 100 acres I would just keep the lube levels up and keep it watched. Put it on your to do list. On the final, if it has some lube it's probably not as bad as you think. Fix the leak and keep it lubed ASAP.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35630

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:57 am

watch this video......this is a loud worn transmission. The 1st, 2nd, and Reverse gear are making the "Normal Farmall Noise" as most would say. The 3rd and 4th gears are Growling BAD. The "normal Farmall noise" isn't necessarily normal, but what most of them sound like now with the age that is on them. I have had Super A tractors and 140 tractors with Whisper Quiet Transmissions. And as you can see, I've had Super A and 140 tractors with worn out transmissions. I really don't know how to pin-point the issue with them like the one in the video, but it seems to me that since it is only certain gears that are LOUD then it is the gears that are worn, not the bearings. But in reality, probably a combination of all.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oneQOBitgE&list=UUjDOvqCuNtXk-2hxiMPruvg[/youtube]
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”