This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Hour Meter - Seat "Stop Screws"

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Ridge Dweller
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 54624
Tractors Owned: 1941 Farmall A

Hour Meter - Seat "Stop Screws"

Postby Ridge Dweller » Sun May 18, 2014 7:40 am

In the owners manual for my 1941 Farmall A, all of the maintenance schedules are in hours, but there is no hour meter that I can find on the tractor. Does anyone know if this model came with one? I've read where people install a miniature modern one in a hidden area, but I would much rather have an OEM looking one if that's possible. Also, does the rear light bracket in the image below look right? I know the light itself is wrong, it's the bracket I am wondering about because I've seen replacement brackets that look nothing like this L-angle.

I replaced the seat with a replica, but from reading through the manual, there are some "stop screws" that I am missing, and I cant find information on. It looks like they are just a bolt with double nuts to adjust the head height, which in turn limits the bounce of the leaf spring....... but what size? Are they rubber tipped? Available somewhere?

Farmall_05.jpg
Farmall_05.jpg (310.04 KiB) Viewed 406 times

Any help would be greatly appreciated. One of the things on my list is fixing a broken stud on the original battery box mount, and moving the battery (below) back where it belongs, but one thing (or two) at a time.

Farmall_06.jpg
Farmall_06.jpg (497.62 KiB) Viewed 406 times

Thanks in advance for passing on any knowledge, and feel free to point out anything else you see that is wrong. Hopefully soon I'll be able to answer some questions instead of just asking :D

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

artc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06457
eBay ID: cmtelephone
Tractors Owned: Restored: 1950 Cub, 1950 Cub Demo, 1948 super AI, 1935 Silver King, 1946 Oliver 60 RC, John Deere M, 1950 C demo.

In working clothes:
1950 cub, 1948 cub, 1941 A, 1948 H, 1963 B414, 1958 240U, 1947 Oliver 60 industrial, Oliver 70 industrial. IH 450, 1963, another 1948 cub, 1946 I6 with Trogan front blade.

Re: Hour Meter - Seat "Stop Screws"

Postby artc » Fri May 23, 2014 10:45 am

an hour meter was not stock on an A.

the light bracket is incorrect in your photo, as is the location of the battery box and the light switch. the light bracket is a 3 bolt cast piece with a round bar coming out for the light, same style as the front lights

the stop screws were just as you stated, no rubber tip.
'If they're tappin', they're not burnin'
http://www.ZagrayFarmMuseum.org

Ridge Dweller
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 54624
Tractors Owned: 1941 Farmall A

Postby Ridge Dweller » Sat May 24, 2014 6:40 am

artc wrote:an hour meter was not stock on an A.

the light bracket is incorrect in your photo, as is the location of the battery box and the light switch. the light bracket is a 3 bolt cast piece with a round bar coming out for the light, same style as the front lights

the stop screws were just as you stated, no rubber tip.

Thank you very much! As far as the battery box goes, it looks like the previous owner broke off a stud in the correct location, and figured he would just weld it in place where it sits now. Looks like I have a good deal of work ahead to fix that mess!

I suspected that the light brackets were wrong. They look like l-brackets. I had saw the triangular bracket for the rear, but couldn't find where it bolts to. i'll have to look closer today. I ordered the part anyway --hopefully there's no broken studs or other problems in that area. I also ordered the mounting rods for the front. I'll likely hide a little hour meter as well to keep track of maintenance.

I'll post pics so others can see. It was hard to find any details on this on the web. Still haven't found a close-up of either area. I'll post the progress soon. Thanks again for the help artc!

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35630
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Mon May 26, 2014 8:59 pm

I'll be glad to lend some help. We have a couple of Farmall "A" parts tractors, but mainly have the later versions (Super A-140). I can take some pictures of anything you'd like to see, although my tractors might not be "correct" with them being parts tractors and not being restored. I know on the Super A-140 tractors, there were about 3 different rear light brackets......that I've seen anyways. All of which should fit the "A", but I don't know if any of those were used on it.
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Mon May 26, 2014 9:31 pm

AL Farmall Boy wrote: I know on the Super A-140 tractors, there were about 3 different rear light brackets......that I've seen anyways.

I don't know all the variations that may have been used on the later models. I do know that the bracket for the A was held to the left seat bracket with 3 bolts and had a hole with a setscrew to hold a bar similar to the ones for the headlights (but much shorter). This was changed on the Super A to a bracket that extended back past the rear rockshaft.

Look here http://www.steinertractor.com/IHS735-rear-light-bracket-assembly

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”