Transmission help!!

Sat May 10, 2014 11:52 am

MY SUPER A WHEN SHIFT IN NETURAL AND LET OFF THE CLUTCH THE TRACTOR SEEMS TO BE IN HIGH GEAR. IF YOU TRY TO SHIFT INTO FIRST OR ANY OTHER GEAR AND LET OFF THE CLUTCH IT SEEMS TO LOAD UP AND WONT MOVE WITH TRACTOR LUGGING AND WANTING TO GO DEAD. IM UNDER THE IMPRESSION THAT THE SHIFTER FORK MAYBE BE STUCK. AM I GOING IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION OR DOES IT SOUND A WHOLE LOT WORSE? THANKS

Re: Transmission help!!

Sat May 10, 2014 9:35 pm

Never had a super A tranny apart, but it sounds as if the shifter may be worn and has slipped out of the 4th gear frok leaving it engaged, or it may be the fork has come loose or broken. You will have to pull the top off the transmission to check it and get it lined back up.

Sat May 10, 2014 11:40 pm

Thanks John planned to do so tomorrow just seeing if anyone new for sure thanks for the feedback

Tue May 13, 2014 11:45 am

Yup, classic "stuck in two gears at once" problem.

Nice thing about a Super A is you can actually rock the tractor back and forth without busting a gut to get the shift rails lined back up.

Tue May 13, 2014 12:02 pm

Matt Kirsch wrote:Yup, classic "stuck in two gears at once" problem.

Nice thing about a Super A is you can actually rock the tractor back and forth without busting a gut to get the shift rails lined back up.

your saying i dont have to take the top of the transmisson off? what would be the simple way?

Tue May 13, 2014 2:48 pm

You need to take the top off to see WHY the problem is so you can fix it right.---sounds like the rails and forks need some serious attention! thanks; sonny

Wed May 14, 2014 11:26 am

the man i bought it from had grand children that played on it so there aint no telling thanks everyone for the feed back been kinda wet down south waiting for a good sunny day to tackle

Thu May 15, 2014 10:31 am

ETHENT71 wrote:
Matt Kirsch wrote:Yup, classic "stuck in two gears at once" problem.

your saying i dont have to take the top of the transmisson off? what would be the simple way?

No, you still have to take the cover off.

I am saying that the tractor is light and easy to rock. If the forks don't slide right back into place easily, the gears are bound up a little. Rocking the tractor back and forth a little bit while prying will make them slide back into place easier.

It's the easiest way, and really the only way, to fix the immediate problem.

Just stating fact here, not tying to be condescending, but you've spent days worrying about a problem that will take you about 15 minutes to resolve.