New to the Board (Farmall A Owner)

Thu May 08, 2014 7:05 am

Hello folks, I'm a new Farmall owner (took delivery last night) from southwest Wisconsin (south of La Crosse on the Mississippi). The tractor runs like a charm, and was "fixed up" by the former owner with non stock parts, and in general is a bit sloppy. The tractor is a 1941 Farmall A that came with a set of blue cultivators and a pair of disks that are in need of repair.

I would love to post some pictures --especially of the things that I believe are wrong and would like to work on, but I don't see a way to do so. Are new users banned from posting images for a certain amount of time? At any rate, I hope to learn a lot here, and will be digging through the older posts in my free time. Gotta go play with my tractor...

Re: New to the Board (Farmall A Owner)

Thu May 08, 2014 9:55 am

Hi and welcome to the community, Ridge Dweller. Yes, initial first posts are restricted (because of spammers :( ), but now you can post your pictures. I'm sure you will find plenty of friendly help with this great group.

Dennis

Thu May 08, 2014 1:59 pm

Welcome , enjoy they nice folks ang good advise available here.

Berlin

Thu May 08, 2014 5:53 pm

Thanks for the welcome guys! I'm going to try a picture as a test. Is there a recommended size? Or does a plug-in resize it automatically? Here goes...

Farmall_01.jpg

The seat is junk, and there are a bunch of less than stellar "fixes", but overall it looks nice if you squint a bit :wink:

I've already ordered the correct seat and a new steering wheel, and there are a bunch of other things that need attention as well, but on the good side, it starts like nobody's business and runs smooth as silk. The tires are brand new as well --still have the nubs on them. It came with what I believe are OEM cultivators as well as some disks. I'll post more pics shortly, and hopefully people smarter than me will point out any non original items. I'd like to do a pretty faithful restoration on this, but not to the point where I need to hand crank it or anything like that. Thanks again for the welcome, and I look forward to participating in the group.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu May 08, 2014 7:23 pm

I see the gas cap,breather.exhaust,and radiator cap but what is the other thing on the hood.

Thu May 08, 2014 7:24 pm

Nice looking A. Welcome to the forum.

Fri May 09, 2014 5:55 am

jpcubs wrote:I see the gas cap,breather.exhaust,and radiator cap but what is the other thing on the hood.

Oil cap is my guess, but I'll have to take a look when the sun comes up. I compared Cubs to A's on Google images, and all the A's have the extra cap. I'll post some pictures of the area later if I can get a chance. This is the only close picture I have of the area, and it's about the worst shot possible to see that cap.

Farmall_02.jpg

Speaking of caps... the gas cap looks different from many I have seen, tall, and doesn't have the text about using clean gas. I thought it may be aftermarket, but looking through images of both restored and unrestored Farmall A's, I have seen the identical cap...

Farmall_03.jpg

Does anyone know if the cap style changed sometime during production?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri May 09, 2014 6:35 am

Sorry about that (I was thinking cub) I shouldn't THINK.

Fri May 09, 2014 6:40 am

There is a venting issue with the original cap. IH offered replacement gas caps after some problems with the original gas cap. The free gas caps are still available thru Navistar.

http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Free%20Gas%20Cap.jpg

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/fl/fuelcap.htm

Fri May 09, 2014 7:15 pm

Worksmart wrote:There is a venting issue with the original cap. IH offered replacement gas caps after some problems with the original gas cap. The free gas caps are still available thru Navistar.

http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Free%20Gas%20Cap.jpg

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/fl/fuelcap.htm

Thank you! From what I read there, my tractor has the replacement cap. It would be nice to find a vented replica of the original one though, but I guess this one will do. Thanks again Worksmart.

Sat May 10, 2014 5:02 am

I'm not sure if this is an exact replica but looks like the right style.

http://www.steinertractor.com/ABC1880-top-vented-fuel-cap-with-ihs239-gasket?&TF=64D42BFA814B

Chuck

Sat May 10, 2014 5:15 am

I know that pictures will hide a lot, but it sure looks good in the pictures. Welcome to the forum from Arkansas.

Wed May 14, 2014 7:52 pm

randallc wrote:I know that pictures will hide a lot, but it sure looks good in the pictures. Welcome to the forum from Arkansas.

Thanks! I wish I had this thing years ago. Fun to drive, easy (so-far) to work in. I'll post more pics shortly, as soon as I get the seat replaced...