This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Super A Electrical Wiring

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Pabst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44333
Tractors Owned: Farmall cub 56-Spartacus
International cub 76
Cub L-F 194 Plow
Cub F38 Disk Harrow
Cub L-F1 Platform Carrier
Cub 54 Leveling Blade
Circle of Safety: Y

Super A Electrical Wiring

Postby Pabst » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:23 pm

I need some assistance with wiring a new ammeter on my super A. Currently there is a unconventional ammeter wired with BAT terminal to left side of ammeter & starter to right side of ammeter with a additional wire going over to the light switch. I purchased the correct ammeter for the super a with a magneto. The wiring diagram shows a junction box and fuse housing none of which I have currently. I can change the ammeter correctly however, my question is how do I complete the wiring if I do not have a junction box or fuse holder. :lost:

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Super A Electrical Wiring

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:49 pm

I have never dealt with Super A a lot, but most of it's wiring, even though located differently, is the same as a cub. If you have a 4 position light switch originally, there is no fuse holder, the fuse is on the back of the light switch. The wire going from the ammeter to the light switch provided power for lights, and for distributor if it has one instead of a magneto.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Thu May 01, 2014 6:54 am

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:I have never dealt with Super A a lot, but most of it's wiring, even though located differently, is the same as a cub. If you have a 4 position light switch originally, there is no fuse holder, the fuse is on the back of the light switch. The wire going from the ammeter to the light switch provided power for lights, and for distributor if it has one instead of a magneto.

All Super A's have a fuse holder regardless. Other than that everything else is basically the same as a Cub.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Pabst
10+ Years
10+ Years
International cub 76
Cub L-F 194 Plow
Cub F38 Disk Harrow
Cub 54 Leveling Blade

Postby Pabst » Thu May 01, 2014 6:57 am

Here is a picture of my current ammeter. I looked but there is no fuse attached to the light switch. As I reviewed the wiring diagram for the SA with magneto it seems correct but, I do not have the fuse.

[url]Image[/url]
Attachments
SA ammeter wiringII.jpg
SA ammeter wiringII.jpg (177.36 KiB) Viewed 2129 times

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Thu May 01, 2014 7:54 am

Fuse holder would go below the ignition switch. I believe I can see the hole for it in your pic. What I was meaning earlier is the Super A never had a fuse on the light switch like a Cub.

I went back and re-read your original post. How old is your Super A? The junction box was only used on later Super A's that had a voltage regulator and 3 position light switch instead of the generator cut out and 4 position switch. If your Super A is an earlier model it never had a junction box.

Al

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.

Pabst
10+ Years
10+ Years
International cub 76
Cub L-F 194 Plow
Cub F38 Disk Harrow
Cub 54 Leveling Blade

Postby Pabst » Thu May 01, 2014 8:47 am

My SA is late 48 and yes it does have a hole for the fuse holder. Should I get the a fuse holder and junction block or what is the alternative of wiring. Thanks

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Super A » Thu May 01, 2014 8:53 am

Are you just needing to replace the ammeter? Just looking at your pic, I think you can wire the new one in like the old one--that last wire looks to be for a light so you can read the gauge at night. You only need the fuse for the light circuit.

I haven't looked at the manual page to see if there is a Super A wiring diagram.

Al

Pabst
10+ Years
10+ Years
International cub 76
Cub L-F 194 Plow
Cub F38 Disk Harrow
Cub 54 Leveling Blade

Postby Pabst » Thu May 01, 2014 12:12 pm

Yes I am replacing the ammeter to an IH ammeter but, the new ammeter does not have the additional wire only the two posts.

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Super A » Thu May 01, 2014 12:26 pm

Pabst wrote:Yes I am replacing the ammeter to an IH ammeter but, the new ammeter does not have the additional wire only the two posts.

I think you can just ignore that extra wire.

Al

Pabst
10+ Years
10+ Years
International cub 76
Cub L-F 194 Plow
Cub F38 Disk Harrow
Cub 54 Leveling Blade

Postby Pabst » Fri May 02, 2014 7:17 am

Super A,

After closer inspection I was able to ignore the extra wire, it was to illuminate the ammeter. I cutout the wire reconnected my new ammeter attached the battery, re-polarized and it fired up showing charge. Now all I need to do is run wire to my front lights from the area of my generator and I will be in business. Thanks for the help.

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”