This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

My New Super A-1

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Joel
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27502
Tractors Owned: 1954 super A-1 6-volt

My New Super A-1

Postby Joel » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:29 pm

:{_}: :{_}:

So I got it! Been looking for a tractor for some time and this one was 5.5 miles from home! I like it a lot. I'm sure I'll have questions but so far the only things I've noticed is carb drips gas. oil leak from front end somewhere, right break squeals and pto makes dry sound. Serial number puts it smack dab in the middle of the Super A1s. All the casting codes end with Z. hole in hood for secondary gas tank (missing) and kerosene manifold hint that it ran kerosene in past. Also these is a suspicious throttle control at base of steering column that I'm guessing is related.
I'll let the photos/video do the talking.
:D

VIDEO:

Thanks everyone for all the help and tips!
8) 8) 8)
Last edited by Joel on Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Joel

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: My New Super A1

Postby Bill Hudson » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:59 pm

VERY NICE!!!!!

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Mr E
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32460
eBay ID: noles1432460

Postby Mr E » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:36 pm

Nice !!! Those guys are powerful, too.
In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity. - Albert Einstein

Image. Circle of Safety

Roy Edenfield
Deep South CubFest #10
February 14 & 15, 2020

Chris D
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 23027

Postby Chris D » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:57 pm

Congrats Joel! Looks and sounds good. Glad you found a good one and close to home. Change that transmission fluid out as soon as possible and put in new fluid in there, may help with the pto sound.

CubitisNH
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby CubitisNH » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:19 pm

Joel--Looks like you got very lucky!!Nice tractor.
Mike
How can you have too many Cubs????

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:35 pm

Joel:

I have been following your other thread regarding the SA 1. Congrats :applause: on acquiring this tractor. Very nice looking unit and I am sure you will enjoy it. A Super A used to reside here along with it's bigger brother an H for a few years. I enjoyed trying the tractor out and if I ever wanted a bigger one and SA would be the next logical choice. Have fun with your new toy :D :!:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Joel
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Joel » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:42 pm

Thanks guys! I'm enjoying it! Drove it to the neighbors (the 90 year old farmer) he said he was jealous. That he knew they guy who I bought it from and had he known he had one he would have bought it! Of course I think he was exaggerating, but he liked it.

I've noticed it runs better if you let some air breath around the hose instead of all though the air filter. Need to check into that. The seller had it set like that and it has changed some when I tightened the hose.

Also 4th gear on this thing is fast! well... faster than I expected it to be. :

I'm sure I'll have a lot of reading to do and probably some questions pretty soon. but for now just enjoying it!
Joel

Joel
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Joel » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:50 pm

By the way. The pretty red boots in the pictures are _Not_ mine. My wife got up on the tractor for a couple photos. :oops:
8)
Joel

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:46 pm

Congrats Joel you did good! Looks like you got the tractor and a few goodies.....I just noticed the old Wayne Implement Auction (Goldsboro, NC) tag on the swinging drawbar front bar. That was a happenin' place back in the day.

Is the steering wheel an 18" or a 15" like a Cub? If it is smaller, it has been replaced. Some like the smaller wheel if they are tall like me....My Super A1's steering wheel just about rubs my knees.....

The "throttle control" by the choke is the radiator shutter control. Looks like the linkage is gone. Also there is a little bracket that mounts on the front two bolts of the hydraulic fluid filter on the left side of the Touch Control unit, looks like it is gone. If you want to put the kerosene goodies back on it, that shouldn't be too hard to find. I can't tell if the shutters are still there, I am betting they are not. If they are gone, I think a set from a Super C will work. They show up on Ebay from time to time. If you want one I have the auxillary gas tank with shut off valve that will fit it. Judging by your ZIP code, you're not terribly far from Bradsher Bros. near Roxboro. I bet they might have the shutters and control rod you would need---I got my shutters for my kerosene "regular" Super A there.

>EDIT< According to the parts book, the actual shutters are the same for both tractors. That doesn't exactly make sense, but that's what the book sez....

The right brake squealing is not all that unusual. How's the left rear wheel wobble?

If you don't mind, PM your serial number. I am curious how close it is to mine--it is 3573xx.

Again congrats! This is definately one for the books!

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Dusti Snider
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24739
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall "M" - Restored
1949 Farmall Cub - Original "Blue Ribbon Reconditioned"
1953 Farmall Super AI
1934 Farmall F-12
1929 Farmall Regular
1956 Ford 640
1972 Ford 4000

Postby Dusti Snider » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:01 am

Glad you was able to get it! I like it alot!

Member IHCC Chapter 37 & 42 - North Carolina

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:20 am

Sweet looking tractor. I've always liked those A's. My dad had an A that he sold at a consignment auction a few years ago. He only got $900 for it and I still kick myself for not buying it.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Joel
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Joel » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:53 pm

Tinkered with it a little today. First real project will be to get a carb kit and try to fix the float.

Congrats Joel you did good! Looks like you got the tractor and a few goodies.....I just noticed the old Wayne Implement Auction (Goldsboro, NC) tag on the swinging drawbar front bar. That was a happenin' place back in the day.

Thanks, Al. I've heard a lot about Goldsboro auction. In fact some old timers i run into talk about it like it's still going on. :-) I just smile and tell them I've not have a chance to go yet.

Is the steering wheel an 18" or a 15" like a Cub? If it is smaller, it has been replaced. Some like the smaller wheel if they are tall like me....My Super A1's steering wheel just about rubs my knees.....

He traded the original for a cub steering wheel. didn't like fighting to get around it. I'm ok with that actually. I think I'm going to remove the steering knob. Not really a fan of it.

The "throttle control" by the choke is the radiator shutter control.

ah. Thanks.

Looks like the linkage is gone. Also there is a little bracket that mounts on the front two bolts of the hydraulic fluid filter on the left side of the Touch Control unit, looks like it is gone. If you want to put the kerosene goodies back on it, that shouldn't be too hard to find. I can't tell if the shutters are still there, I am betting they are not. If they are gone, I think a set from a Super C will work. They show up on Ebay from time to time. If you want one I have the auxillary gas tank with shut off valve that will fit it.

I haven't put too much thought into whether I'll restore the kerosene stuff... I think the radiator, shutter and grill are the same as the Super C. There is a guy on CL nearby asking serious cash for a super a1 with a grill and told me he's seen the grills go for $500.... find that a little hard to believe. anyhow. Do you think I'd be able to get it to run on Kerosene? that would be pretty cool. I'll keep your tank in mind. I can't figure out how it would have been mounted inside the hood.

Judging by your ZIP code, you're not terribly far from Bradsher Bros. near Roxboro. I bet they might have the shutters and control rod you would need---I got my shutters for my kerosene "regular" Super A there.

never heard of them. We go to Roxboro all the time to see family.

The right brake squealing is not all that unusual. How's the left rear wheel wobble?

Either I'm doing it wrong or there is no wheel wobble. The rubber on the tire started moving (flexing the direction I was tugging) before I felt, saw or heard anything that might be wheel wobble.... but I've not done that test too many times maybe I missed it.

Glad you liked it!
Joel

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:02 pm

kero is over $4.00 a gal , would be kinda non productive to burn kero
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Joel
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Joel » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:09 pm

Boss Hog wrote:kero is over $4.00 a gal , would be kinda non productive to burn kero

Very true. Although if I were to do that it might be more for the fun of it... :-) 8)
Joel

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:05 pm

Joel wrote:Tinkered with it a little today. First real project will be to get a carb kit and try to fix the float.

Thanks, Al. I've heard a lot about Goldsboro auction. In fact some old timers i run into talk about it like it's still going on. :-) I just smile and tell them I've not have a chance to go yet.

He traded the original for a cub steering wheel. didn't like fighting to get around it. I'm ok with that actually. I think I'm going to remove the steering knob. Not really a fan of it.

The "throttle control" by the choke is the radiator shutter control.

ah. Thanks.

Looks like the linkage is gone. Also there is a little bracket that mounts on the front two bolts of the hydraulic fluid filter on the left side of the Touch Control unit, looks like it is gone. If you want to put the kerosene goodies back on it, that shouldn't be too hard to find. I can't tell if the shutters are still there, I am betting they are not. If they are gone, I think a set from a Super C will work. They show up on Ebay from time to time. If you want one I have the auxillary gas tank with shut off valve that will fit it.

I haven't put too much thought into whether I'll restore the kerosene stuff... I think the radiator, shutter and grill are the same as the Super C. There is a guy on CL nearby asking serious cash for a super a1 with a grill and told me he's seen the grills go for $500.... find that a little hard to believe. anyhow. Do you think I'd be able to get it to run on Kerosene? that would be pretty cool. I'll keep your tank in mind. I can't figure out how it would have been mounted inside the hood.

Judging by your ZIP code, you're not terribly far from Bradsher Bros. near Roxboro. I bet they might have the shutters and control rod you would need---I got my shutters for my kerosene "regular" Super A there.

never heard of them. We go to Roxboro all the time to see family.

Either I'm doing it wrong or there is no wheel wobble. The rubber on the tire started moving (flexing the direction I was tugging) before I felt, saw or heard anything that might be wheel wobble.... but I've not done that test too many times maybe I missed it.

Glad you liked it!

Joel, I have Bradsher's number if you need it. I haven't been there in over 15 years. They're out in the country but they know IH's up one side and down the other. Coolness factor of running kerosene would be off the charts but as Boss said kerosene is expensive, and you loose a lot of power burning it.

The Super A-1 grille is a cross between a Super C and Super A. The top and center sections are Super C, and the bottom section is Super A. The new repro. grilles are around $600 I believe and the last time I checked they didn't have one for the Super A-1, you'd have to buy the three sections separate and put them together. $600 is cheap if you have to pay for much body work straightening a bent one.

The starting tank bolted to the side of the cylinder head, should be four bosses on the side of the head. The fuel line wouldn't be too hard to make. Check your sediment bowl, I couldn't tell from the pics if it had the connection for the starting tank or not.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”