45' farmall A Carter UT troubles

Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:11 pm

Well I've gotten past all my electrical problems and couldn't wait to fire her up.Turned on the fuel,no leaks until I started turning it over. Then came the flood of gas out the bottom.Went to TSC and bought a rehab kit for it.Cleaned all the passages replaced needle valve and seat and new gasket.Put it back on and the same situation.I've read that the carter's are bad boys.The float isn't taking on fuel and works freely.You guys have gotten me this far so I'm asking,am I missing something or should I get rid of the carter and try to find a Zenith?I've had it on and off to check so many times I can't count.Everything looks and works as it should but still it leaks.As always any help would be appreciated.

Re: 45' farmall A Carter UT troubles

Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:14 pm

Telephoneman:

Don't toss out that Carter UT. They really are a pretty good carb. Must be cause they were on the Super A's as well ... just need to be done properly.

Re: Carter UT carb kit help

Rudi wrote:I redid my buddy Gord's Carter UT for his Super A last summer I guess..

Carter UT Carb Kit

we got the kit from http://www.carbsonly.com out of San Diego. Carlos was pretty quick to deliver and it is the right parts. The Super A is running fine now and is up for a plowing job at the new farm in a couple weeks :D See the Super A Carter UT Carb Starvation Issues thread.

Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:38 am

Mine used to do the same thing. I finally got tired of trying to adjust by the book and adjusted to where I thought for sure it would starve for fuel. It runs perfect, but shut off the gas when you park it, or it will drip. I also just put a kit in it.

Tom

Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:11 am

My Super A #4 AKA Old Ugly has a Carter and it also seems to be pretty drippy.....tractor runs good though. I don't think A's came factory with Carter carb's but IH must've been putting them on Super A's hot and heavy in '50 because both of those tractors have Carter's on them. The Zenith sure looks simpler to me....

Al

Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:52 am

Check for a fault in the needle valve and seat area.

Bench test for fault. Carburetor top upside down on bench. Plastic hose connected to carb inlet. Elevate plastic hose and fill with rubbing alcohol.