This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Super A Assistance Needed

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Super A Assistance Needed

Postby Rudi » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:33 pm

Gord and I have been playing with his Super A again. We got the carb rebuild kit from California the other day and yesterday we rebuilt the carb. Interesting project. The kit is different... Carter UT's are not IH Updrafts.. and the kit definitely reflects that. I was a bit confused by it all... but after going through the whole thing it went together real well. I am impressed.. getting better doing these things. This was kinda enjoyable to do.

Don: I really and I mean I really like that Berryman's Carb Cleaner. It is probably one of the best I have ever used, low odour, I like how it feels compared to others.. not as offensive to the skin as most others. The best part is how well it cleans a carb. Put the carb in the basket, insert basket into can, close cover and forget it for a couple days. Presto pop - clean carb :D :{_}: I like it a lot. Sure hope I can convince Marshlands up here to stock this stuff it is simply amazing.

Anyways we got the carb back on and the SA up and running so well we decided that yup we need to get the McCormick No 21-U Trailing Sickle Mower pulled out of the back field and ready to mow some hay. So we did most of that prep work yesterday. Today as we got the swath board mounted, greased up the mower and were ready to go cut some hay. We ran into a problem....

Problem is the PTO lever will not engage. We have tried everything short of taking the belt pulley attachment off, I guess that is the next step, but would prefer if we didn't have to do that. But there may be no getting around that. Then the second problem happened. The SA has two fill plugs one on the tranny and one on the Belt Pulley Attachment. Both are square key cast iron plugs. The square key is 5/8" .. kinda odd size since most cheater bars come in 3/8", 1/2" and 3/4" .. with 5/8" being a bit odd. So to solve that problem Gord and I went into town and got some 5/8" key stock. I ground down each face until it fit the socket. I also got a 21mm impact socket to fit the 5/8" key stock. We tried to take the plug out of the BPA and guess what happened :?: Shattered the plug.. two chunks of cast iron broke off of the plug rendering it impossible to remove the plug with the new key stock tool.

What is the best way to remove that plug now :?: Drill in succeeding steps until we can pick the threads out :?: If we do that, my fear is that we will end up with metal chips inside the BPA and that will necessitate a complete tear down of that attachment to get rid of the metal shards. Is there an alternate method :?: Then, where do I get a replacement plug :?: :?: :?: :?:

TIA Guys....
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Re: Super A Assistance Needed

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:35 pm

Leave the plug alone. There is no reason to remove it.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:34 am

No gear lube needed :?:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

josys36
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61272
Tractors Owned: Tractors

1940s Allis Chalmers B
1966 140

Cars

1964 Cadillac
1955 R190

Postby josys36 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:08 am

The belt attachment is lubricated though the transmission with an oil sling gear. Really that plug is an inspection plug and I have not yet seen a reason to open it yet. The fill plug is by the gear shift lever, and the drain plug is under the PTO on the right hand side.

At this point I would drain it, take the belt attachment off, and then you can put a new plug in. Best to make sure everything is good and cleaned out before trying to use it again. Also you will most likely have to do that anyway since you cannot get the PTO to engage.

Also ( this happened to me so don't laugh ) make sure that the PTO lever is free to go into position. I had adjusted my deluxe seat on my Super A and that lever would not engage. I thought I might have repairs to do until getting off and looking to see if the lever would clear. Adjustment to the seat again and it has been working fine. I also find that from time to time I have to put the tractor in gear and just ever so much move it forward. These are spur gears and sometimes need adjustment before they will ride into place.
Jason

"Beauty through function and simplification."
"Raymond Lowey"

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:19 pm

Okey Dokey... I guess that makes sense. I sort was thinking that possibly the BPA was lubed by/through the tranny case but not being familiar with the SA tractor much, I needed to know. So what we will do on this is get a replacement plug then remove the BPA drill it out and replace it at some point in the future. For now we just need to get the PTO working. Going to check the seat adjustment before we remove the BPA.

Thanks for the info.. :D

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:36 pm

josys36 wrote: Really that plug is an inspection plug and I have not yet seen a reason to open it yet.

mainly to see the gears when you adjust the mesh by change shims

josys36
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61272
Tractors Owned: Tractors

1940s Allis Chalmers B
1966 140

Cars

1964 Cadillac
1955 R190

Postby josys36 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:38 pm

Jim Becker wrote:
josys36 wrote: Really that plug is an inspection plug and I have not yet seen a reason to open it yet.

mainly to see the gears when you adjust the mesh by change shims

OK
Jason

"Beauty through function and simplification."
"Raymond Lowey"

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”