This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Heavy Clunk "Farmall A" Please Help!

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Tristan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Heavy Clunk "Farmall A" Please Help!

Postby Tristan » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:19 am

Hi All,

I just bought a 45 Farmall A, not for any other reason other than I liked the look of it and to give me another excuse to play in the shed (I mean I know nothing about early tractors). It does need alot of work but is complete minus the rear rims and centers (has 10 stud truck rims). My possibly silly question is when cranking with the crank handle (no elec starter) there is a heavy clunk coming from the engine, it sounds like something is hitting the inside of the crank case loud!. I have had the sump and rocker covers off and everything is intact just minor rust on rocker gear from condensation. Is this normal noise normal and what is it or does it sound more sinister?

Thanks, Tristan

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Heavy Clunk "Farmall A" Please Help!

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:44 am

That is one of those things that is hard to diagnose without hearing it, but I do have a couple questions. Is it once per round, once every other round, or twice per round? If it is twice per round, just as it builds compression, it may be the magneto impulse tripping ( assuming it still has a mag rather than a distributor), which would be normal. Most people describe it as more of a snap or clack than a thud though. If that is not it, no, it is normal and needs to be seen to.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:52 am

The other question I have is do you feel anything when it goes "clunk"?
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Tristan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Tristan » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:02 am

Hi Again,

Had a little more of a look today, it would appear to be the mag' but hell that is the loudest mag' i've ever heard. Are A's renowned for having loud magneto's? Anyway it's not working so it will be coming off, possably the reason it's not going.

Thanks for those reply's; by the way it occures twice every full crank.

Tristan.

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”