This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Order of business

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Festus
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 42355
Tractors Owned: 1953 Cub
1953 Super C
1953 Super H
1953 Super M
1956 100
1964 140
1972 JD 4020

Order of business

Postby Festus » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:02 am

Now that I have the Super A home and tucked in, I need to decide the order of business. I believe it needs only a good tune up and front seal replacement and to get the gauges replaced, lights functioning, and other minor things. Since the Cub is the only tractor I have restored (not really a restoration, but a fixup/repaint) I need to decide if the Super A is next or if the Super C, Super H or Super M, all of whom have been living with us for quite a few years, should get attention first. All will be working tractors to an extent - dealer paint with catalyst - no base clear, show tractor shines for these guys. I am a stickler for making sure everything works as it should. I want all the lights and gauges functioning, generator charging, lift lifting... I am in no hurry to get any of them done, but aim to work on them as I get a chance. At the risk of making the bigger tractors jealous, I believe I will work on them size wise, the A, C, H, and then the M.

Old tractors, new enthusiasm, a supporting wife, and dirt under my fingernails - Ain't life good?

Festus
"When you read the readin', how do you know the feller who wrote the readin, wrote the readin' right?" - Festus from Gunsmoke

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:10 am

For the sake of gratification, I'd start with the one easiest to put into good working order and work up saving the longer projects for later. As long as the others are in useable condition it shouldn't matter. If this is the most difficult decision you have to make then life is indeed good! :D :D
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 62859

Postby Trent M » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:31 am

I agree with BD, get them up and going starting with the easiest/quickest ones. It just wouldn't make sense to me to do the one that will take the longest before the others, unless you really needed that one first. Quite a stable you got there, I'm jealous!! :mrgreen:
Trent McPeak

Festus
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 42355
Tractors Owned: 1953 Cub
1953 Super C
1953 Super H
1953 Super M
1956 100
1964 140
1972 JD 4020

Postby Festus » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:56 am

You guys make good sense. We have 11 tractors now on the farm and there is not one that I could not start in just a matter of minutes. All have good batteries and fuel stabilizer in them. They are all started regularly and driven for different purposes. And in actuality, that is probably the order of difficulty with the M being the most challenging of the efforts. Bigdog you are right - in the whole scheme of things, a few old tractors, how they look and how they run, mean very little at all. I wake up each morning and go to bed each night thankful for the life I have been given. Trent, they are nothing special, nothing rare or valuable, and I have spent nothing or very little in acquiring them. The real expense comes when the restoration commences. But each one has a connection with family or friends that mean a lot to me - like the fact that the Cub was given to me by wife's uncle who bought it in 1954, raised many many acres of tobacco with it, and wanted me to have it so he would know it would always be taken care of.

Festus
"When you read the readin', how do you know the feller who wrote the readin, wrote the readin' right?" - Festus from Gunsmoke

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:13 pm

Boy must be nice!!!!I wish I had to many tractors.Tear them all apart at once!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Just kidding.I'd go with the one you would use the most first then down the line.One thing have fun ,I'll will go a lot smoother that way!!!Kevin
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Re: Order of business

Postby Super A » Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:12 pm

Festus wrote:All will be working tractors to an extent - dealer paint with catalyst - no base clear, show tractor shines for these guys.

I don't know now....our VP in our IH Collectors Chapter can paint with 2150 from caseIH and hardener and you can't tell the difference between it and any of the high-dollar paint! Yours may end up looking just as good if not better as the trailer queen--all the better! :D :D

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:35 pm

Al, you called that right and less than $50.00 a gal.
David
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”