This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

SA Front Wheel Shimmy

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
GAGoober
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30268

SA Front Wheel Shimmy

Postby GAGoober » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:02 am

My SA front-end has developed a shimmy/wobble. I haven't jacked it up yet to see if is the wheel bearings or bushings. It seems to be only the right side but once it gets going look out. :D Can someone point out some other areas that might contribute to the high speed wobble. Are the bushings hard to put in? How about the steering knuckle post being worn at the bushings. Can this be built up and re-machined or do they make oversized bushings?

Thanks.
Mark "GAGoober" Prater

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:11 am

Take a look at the tie rod ends too.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

barn_cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby barn_cub » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:06 pm

BD is right--tie rod ends can be a big factor--at both ends of both of them. Spindle bushings are probably worn, but are not likely to be a major factor in shimmy as the weight of the tractor tends to take them out of the equation. The sector shaft is another place for slop on the SA--it has a taper with a woodruff key and a slotted nut. If the slotted nut has been allowed to work loose, and/or the thrust washer is badly worn, the boss of the pitman arm may be flopping against the key--considerable wear will happen quickly here.
Place the axle on two jack stands inboard of the front wheels, sit in front of the tractor and wiggle the tires--observing where the slop is--may be in several places--it is additive! Next, move the steering wheel back and forth, looking what moves in what order from that end of the train. Now, just decide where to start!
Barn_cub
Cub herd, 2 Farmall A's, 2 AC's, 1 Ford, 1 JD

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”