This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Farmall A or Farmall Super A???

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Farmall A or Farmall Super A???

Postby BigBill » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:58 pm

I'm looking at a tractor that the seller is calling a Farmall Super A. The only problem i have with that is the hydraulic pump is mounted on the generator and driven by the pulley on the generator. The pump on the pics of super a tractors seems to be like the ones on the cub criven off the motor and piped to the rear. It has what appears like a home welded hydraulic setup too. The hydraulic oil tank is mounted vertical outside the tractors sheetmetal next to the radiator. If my facts are correct the Farmall Super A has a hydraulic setup like the farmall cub has and the tank and cylinder should be under the gas tank right?

Is the owner trying to pass off this farmall a as a farmall super a because of the added on hydraulics? It also lacks the horsepower upgrade the super a has too.

Forgive me if i'm wrong but the added on hydraulic pump that is strapped on the generator just doesn't look like an orginal farmall setup.

So is it a Farmall A or a Farmall Super A?? HELP??????
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Into Tractors
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45387

Postby Into Tractors » Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:08 pm

I'm with you Bill, sounds like an "Added" pump. That might not be a bad thing though, if the price is right? Pretty sure that someone on the Forum was doing just that to an A, they found a gen/hyd pump combo unit from some car, not sure if they finished the project yet.

The A is pretty nice tractor, especially if you are looking for a mowning machine with some more power than a Cub.

There's a post right now showing a picture of a Super A in the normal Cub Forum, take a look at it, not sure if it shows the hyd setup though.
Mike Duncan

Daniel H.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27055
Tractors Owned: 1951 Super A
1955 Cub Lo-boy
1955 Ferguson TO-35
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Daniel H. » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:22 pm

It is possible, although unlikely, that is is a Super A that did not originally have the hydraulics, it was an option. The instrument panel is a dead giveaway, the A has an oval can on the steering post (like an afterthought) the Super A has the instrument panel integral with the base of the steering support.
The four most expensive words in tractor restoration: "We might as well..."

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:01 pm

I don't believe the A had the flat spot on the torque tube for the Touch control wither, but the serial number (left seat support) will tell. Super A started at 250001
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:42 pm

I believe the serial number starts with a 19.... so its an imposter its an A.
I'm going to hold out for a real super A.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

LiL' Red
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61423
eBay ID: woodpecker56

Postby LiL' Red » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:10 pm

Block was also different so as to mount the pump, and the heads were different as well.

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”