This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

CLUTCH STUCK?

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
LSG3240
10+ Years
10+ Years

CLUTCH STUCK?

Postby LSG3240 » Sat May 05, 2007 9:39 pm

Got the Super A fired off today after 5 years of sitting in the weeds. Had a stuck valve on cylinder # 1. Freed it up with Pen. oil. Ran for a few minutes and the smoke cleared up. My main problem now is the clutch appears to be stuck. I can put it in gear and she just sits there and does absolutely nothing. Reminds me of an ex wife. Push in on the clutch and I can hear what appears to be springs compressing. But nothing happens Any ideas as to what is wrong and how to remedy it would be appreciated. Thanks for the help on my other post also.
Live a life that you dont have to apologize for when you meet the almighty.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Sat May 05, 2007 9:49 pm

That's not how a stuck clutch behaves. Maybe you've run against the reason it was in the weeds. :( It's going to require a tear down to find the answer. :shock:
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Sat May 05, 2007 10:09 pm

Is there an inspection plate on the bottom of the bellhousing where you could take off and look up in there?---may be pressure plate springs broke/stuck, throw out bearing not sliding freely on trans. shaft, etc.!---If you can look up in there and have sombody work the clutch pedel, you might be able to see something! thanks; sonny

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Sat May 05, 2007 10:10 pm

If it was stuck it would grind trying to put into gear.Sounds smoked or the bearing is messed up.Huh put into gear no movement,clutch not engaging.You hear springs from the pressure plate moving,has to be a smoked clutch,Any slipping sounds???Kevin
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Re: CLUTCH STUCK?

Postby Eugene » Sat May 05, 2007 11:14 pm

LSG3240 wrote: Any ideas as to what is wrong and how to remedy it would be appreciated.

Probably, most likely, the clutch disk and a messed up pressure plate and may be a messed up flywheel. Or it could be worse. Just getting you ready for the big surprise. Remedy. Split the tractor.

Eugene
I have an excuse. CRS.

fire escape
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby fire escape » Sun May 06, 2007 6:48 pm

Had the same problem after sitting 20 yrs. We used PB blaster on the clutch then rocked it back and forward in 4 th gear and it came loose. Had to clear all the mouse stuff out first. Good luck

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby George Willer » Sun May 06, 2007 7:48 pm

fire escape wrote:Had the same problem after sitting 20 yrs. We used PB blaster on the clutch then rocked it back and forward in 4 th gear and it came loose. Had to clear all the mouse stuff out first. Good luck

That sometimes does work on a clutch disk that's stuck to the flywheel or pressure plate and won't disengage. The problem here is just the opposite... it won't engage, if I read right. More like a busted shaft, etc.
George Willer

LSG3240
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby LSG3240 » Mon May 07, 2007 8:30 am

You are right, it does not engage. Sits there and purrs like a kitten but does not engage anything. What I thought was spring noises of the pressure plate/clutch was the spring on the pedal.
Live a life that you dont have to apologize for when you meet the almighty.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby George Willer » Mon May 07, 2007 9:27 am

LSG3240 wrote:You are right, it does not engage. Sits there and purrs like a kitten but does not engage anything. What I thought was spring noises of the pressure plate/clutch was the spring on the pedal.

I think you'll probably have to split the tractor whatever you find wrong, but I'd first pull the top cover off the transmission. Then you can jack one rear wheel and watch what happens when you turn it. That will tell you whether you have a ring/pinion problem or clutch/input shaft problem, Or some other problem. Do you know any of the tractor's history?
George Willer

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”