This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

need to cross reference some seal numbers

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
2 Busy
10+ Years
10+ Years

need to cross reference some seal numbers

Postby 2 Busy » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:20 am

I'm working on a super a and have a parts list but it shows several different seals. I need to cross ref the national number to the IH number so i will know which one it is in the list.

Is there a way to do this other than calling IH dealer?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:52 am

:idea: First see if you can find the number on the seal you are replacing and work from that number. :idea:
Then came Bronson

2 Busy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 2 Busy » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:01 pm

I've got a few national numbers off the seals but the parts houses in my one horse town arn't having any luck. I took the parts breakdown with me and that was less help. One of the seals is in the axle housing on the outside of the final drive and can't see the numbers without pulling it and then might damage the numbers in the process.

One of the other nationals numbers does not even show up on their computer.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: need to cross reference some seal numbers

Postby George Willer » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:34 pm

2 Busy wrote:
Is there a way to do this other than calling IH dealer?

Sure! Measure the bore, shaft size, and width (not usually an issue) and order by specs. :D That will give you several different possibilities. Any bearing supplier should be able to find you the right seal by the specs.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

2 Busy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 2 Busy » Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:58 pm

I thought about that but small town america doesn't have a bearing place so that means by phone and maybe the wrong seal and another trip way out of town. Might be better off to go threw the over priced dealer and have it mailed to the house.

Still have to figure out why i have so much play in the left axle. Thought i had it figured out but it still wiggles when assembled.

Anyone know if the bearings are slip fit or press fit? mine are slip fit on both ends. these are ball bearings. :cry:

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:42 pm

2 Busy wrote:I thought about that but small town america doesn't have a bearing place.
No need for a shop dealing only in bearings. Locally, two autoparts stores and one tractor dealer in a town of 1400 people.

Auto parts stores for bearings and seals. No numbers on the bearing or seals. Just take the old ones in. Store staff will measure.

Next suggestion: Nearest tractor dealer (any make). Take old seals and bearings.

Eugene
I have an excuse. CRS.

2 Busy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 2 Busy » Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:43 pm

I had one of the seals with me at the auto parts store , i get a deer in headlights look. I wouldn't trust them now if i had too . Although one of them did cross to another number and have 2 of them ordered. Will see what they get next week. I cringe everytime i have to try and get a part , as i know they will have to order it and maybe it will be right. These folks need to be in another business. The old owner could get anything, but these folks don't even try.

Daniel H.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27055
Tractors Owned: 1951 Super A
1955 Cub Lo-boy
1955 Ferguson TO-35

Postby Daniel H. » Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:54 pm

I have found that Case/IH isn't too bad on the bearing and seal prices, especially when you are sure you are getting the right thing. If you don't have a dealer near by try Ken at Carter and Gruenewald (http://www.cngco.com/Index.cfm) or 1-866-FARMALL. One other thing, if the shaft has a groove that will catch your fingernail, a new seal will leak. Try to seat the seal at a different depth to miss the groove in the shaft or use a speedi-sleeve.

Daniel
The four most expensive words in tractor restoration: "We might as well..."

2 Busy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 2 Busy » Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:43 pm

before i put the new seals in i will have to get the wiggle out of the axle/bearings.

When everything is buttoned up and tight i can wiggle the tire/hub. I don't know how to solve that problem yet as i have tried new bearings from the dealer. I tried another bull gear and bushing from a B and thought that fixed it. It did get the slop out of the bull gear but not the wiggle out of the axle.

Slight as it is by the time it gets out to the edge of the tire it will knock the new seals out in no time.

spaceghost
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02346
Tractors Owned: 1959 Cub lo-boy
1950 super A

Postby spaceghost » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:48 am

I had the same problem trying to find the right axle seals on my Super A. The dealer is the way to go. One thing I found out was that the serial # in the parts book for the seals has changed and the dealer knew what the correct number was.

I use a dealer in NY and have had a good experience.

Some time trying to same a dime and will cost a dollar. :lol:
Bacon makes everything better.
1959 LO-Boy 1950 Super A

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”