The Purring "A"

Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:21 am

Well I have not had time to work on the tractor but my dad has been playing with it. He has cleaned the carb and found in his pile of left over carb parts a new manifold to carb gasket and he re-adjusted the float cleaned the plugs, changed the oil and has it purring like a kitten!
Now I just need to get the pto drained out and new oil 90wt is waht I am going to use in the rear end and pto?
I need to find a muffler so dads A can have his back. I also need to get front tires put on.
I will do a tune up later when it gets warmer out, plugs, wires, points condenser and mag cap.
Is tractor supply a good place for a muffler? Maybe some of you have one lying around?
or maybe even front tires?

Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:35 am

Glad to here you got the a going

Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:41 am

Glad you got her running and keeping Dad busy( keeps him out of trouble) :D


Re: The Purring "A"

Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:32 am

cjpenny89 wrote:Is tractor supply a good place for a muffler? Maybe some of you have one lying around? or maybe even front tires?

Tractor Supply would be a good source for parts (muffler) if there is one close to your location. Orschelen is also another good place in Missouri. If not try your local autoparts store. Buy a new muffler.

Front tires. Same response. Used front tires are either shot or worn out. Not worth the time and expense. My opinion.


Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:50 pm

Tractor Supply has Stanley mufflers (pretty much the only game in town for tractor mufflers), but they don't have the pointy flapper-dingys for the top of the muffler. They've only got the rounded ones, which look D-U-M-B on a Farmall. They belong on Massey Fergusons.

Have you got a CaseIH dealer in the area? The muffler will be a little less expensive than TSC, and they'll have the pointy flapper-dingy that looks right on the tractor.

Tires, again TSC will have 'em, or Tucker on ebay, or Miller Tire, or even a local tire shop as a last resort.

Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:03 pm

Pointy flapper dingy???? We need to create a dictionary for non-standard terms. :D :D :D

Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:04 pm

I called TSC and there is $31.42
Called Case IH and it is $28.10
I may go that way and have my dad pick it up and it can be tax exempt.
I am surprised it is cheaper.
yeah I am getting new tires and tubes 3 rib. $53 each that is the price mounted.

Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:12 pm

Better get on the ball, Your dad might decide his A needs company :D :D grump

Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:05 pm

pics please!!!!!! congrats with the A, will she be a mower?

Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:47 pm

I know the "pointy flapper things" keep water from going down the pipe, but you shouldn't leave your tractors out in the rain. I can't stand to hear tick tick tick when I'm on a tractor with one. You think they'd put some type of seal on them. Brandon

Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:01 am

Yes this will be a mwoing tractor! The next find needs to be a super A -140 so I can use a fast hitch on it.

Yes brandon it had the flapper on it but it still got moister in it.

Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:54 am

Pointy flapper DINGY! Get it right Brandon :D

I believe the correct technical term is "rain cap" and the pointy part is the counterweight. Pointy flapper dingy just has a ring to it, though.