This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

strated to break her down 1950 super A

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
fire escape
10+ Years
10+ Years

strated to break her down 1950 super A

Postby fire escape » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:49 pm

Started to take her apart. Took the front rims and wheeles off. Think i'll power coat them. The pictures I saw were nice.Changing fluids. The gear box is thick as tar. May have to warm it up first. Other fluids look ok. Took gas tank off, no rust inside. Carb is off and soaking. Haven't found a nut or bolt that would not come loose yet. The bell housing was full of mouse houses and one mouse mummy. not sure if I got it all. Had to use a 7 ft. bar on the rims to break the nuts loose.

So far it's going ok. Any insite on the mouse problem and gear box would be nice.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:02 pm

mouse houses and tar in the gearbox are normal for old tractors. Easy fixes. Flush the gearbox with kerosene before re-filling.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

KBP
10+ Years
10+ Years

I'm doing the same thing with my 1952 Super A!

Postby KBP » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:47 am

Looks like we have something in common! I'm breaking down my 1952 Super A and stripping all the paint off everything. The fenders, hood, front radiator cover, seat supports and draw bar etc. have been stripped of paint by a good paint remover, dipped into the electrolysis tank to remove all rust, wire brushed and pressure washed and primed! Next will be the dirty job of degreasing the main body of the Super A and taking off the old paint! It seems like an endless job but my goal is to finish by spring! The hardest job to me is finding replacement parts that are of good quality at a fair price. The list seems to grow as you discover parts that are worn out, missing or questionable to reuse. I am very thankful to many people on Farmallcub.com! Best and most helpfull people on earth. Ken PS keep me posted on your progress!

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:21 am

Bigdog wrote:mouse houses and tar in the gearbox are normal for old tractors. Easy fixes. Flush the gearbox with kerosene before re-filling.

You may want to remove the torque tube so you can inspect for damage to the front transmission seal and bearing. Depending on where the farthest in nest was the damage can be severe. Mice pee in their nests and they can become really nasty. :( One of my Cubs was badly damaged.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”