This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Flushing block/radiator

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...
Circle of Safety: Y

Flushing block/radiator

Postby Super A » Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:50 pm

Planning on doing a flush on the Super AV project soon. I've heard of using Lestoil to flush the system and so that's my plan. Did some looking in the How To and found this helpful thread: viewtopic.php?f=138&t=108093

My plan is to refill the system with water/Lestoil and then run it until good n' warm. How much running time does the engine need to help clean it out? Right now I don't have any real work it could do so it might be a matter of cranking it up an letting it run while I do other chores.

Also, it has a bad freeze plug in the back of the engine which I need to split and replace. I think that my plan is to flush with Lestoil and then split to replace the freeze plug. While apart, I was planning on going ahead and remove the radiator bottom connection and flush the block thru the freeze plug hole.

Does my plan make sense or is there a better option?

thanks!
Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

browning1
Zip Code: 27944

Re: Flushing block/radiator

Postby browning1 » Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:24 pm

When I flushed my SA I just ran tap water through the radiator till the water was coming out clear. Then i would put cap back on drain, fill block, and radiator up then drain it all. I did that about 4 times. When I put antifreeze back in it I did add some John Deere antifreeze conditioner I had to it.
Farmall Super A

inairam
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 6v - Dozer
1949 with kub klipper belly mower. mag 6v - Mom
1950 with plow, 54 blade, mott mag 6v - Roxanne
1953 54 blade, c22, wood 42 6v
1957 6v - barn Queen
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower 12 v - Loboy
1974 Horse II 12 v c-2
1975 with woods 42-6 12 v - Horse
1979 long strip 12 v stuck engine
130 with international 1000 loader 6 v
1969 140 with bush hog tow behind mower 12 v
Terramite T-6 4WD Backhoe Perkins diesel
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide

Postby inairam » Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:16 pm

I did the water/Lestoil but I did it in the summer and ran like that for about 3-4 hours over a 2-3 week period.

Maybe risky to do that in the winter.
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:39 pm

inairam wrote:I did the water/Lestoil but I did it in the summer and ran like that for about 3-4 hours over a 2-3 week period.

Maybe risky to do that in the winter.

That is kind of what I had in mind. Several sessions of running it, then drain.

I might end up waiting a while for springtime to come before I do it just to be safe.....

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022