This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Sediment Bowl Lineup

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
MarkAkerman
Zip Code: 32340

Sediment Bowl Lineup

Postby MarkAkerman » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:17 am

I installed a new sediment bowl. The threads match, but I can't tighten it enough for the port to face the right direction for the fuel line. At a good snug tighten it faces the back of the tractor and the hydraulic system. It would take a full 3/4 turn to get it to face the left. Is this a common problem? Should I just get a longer fuel line? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

tinnerjohn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44491
Tractors Owned: 52 Cub, 42 Farmall H 49 Ford 8N (FIL's tractor) and a yard full of implements for them 51 Chevy 3100 PU
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Sediment Bowl Lineup

Postby tinnerjohn » Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:16 pm

Have you tried taking it back off, re-doping or new teflon tape and putting it back on? This has worked for me many times on plumbing and fuel oil fittings.
John

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:25 pm

Like John pointed out, many of us don't completely tighten the sediment fuel bowl. Not sure if it's even possible to have it completely tightened AND be pointed in the correct direction.

Just use some #2 non-hardening (gas/oil resistant) sealer or Teflon tape and get it pointed in the right direction.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

MarkAkerman
Zip Code: 32340

Postby MarkAkerman » Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:10 am

I wasn't sure how tight I needed to go with it. One of the reasons I tore it down was that the sediment bowl was leaking as well as the carb connections. I have since restored most of the tracctor and I'm trying to make sure it donesn't leak on all my new work. Is hand tightening enough? I'll try working with the tape. Like someone else mentioned on here, I was afreaid to tighten too much in fear of breaking the tank nut.

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:30 am

MarkAkerman wrote:I wasn't sure how tight I needed to go with it. One of the reasons I tore it down was that the sediment bowl was leaking as well as the carb connections. I have since restored most of the tracctor and I'm trying to make sure it donesn't leak on all my new work. Is hand tightening enough? I'll try working with the tape. Like someone else mentioned on here, I was afreaid to tighten too much in fear of breaking the tank nut.

Hand tightening may be sufficient; light wrench/torque would be better. I have installed them this way:
  • Find the place where the threads begin to engage and note the direction of the sediment bowl outlet.
  • Count how many turns it takes to fully seat the bowl (hand tighten or light wrench). Note the direction of the outlet.
  • Take the bowl back off, apply non-hardening sealant and put the bowl back on, stopping short of the total turns in order to line up the outlet in the direction you want.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”