Farmall Super-A starter

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
farmalllove
Zip Code: 16137
Tractors Owned: 1952 Farmall cub with international plow, snow plow, cultivators, and mower.
1953 Farmall Super A with hydraulic lift, flat belt Buzz-Saw, Snow plow, bucket, and cultivators.

Farmall Super-A starter

Postby farmalllove » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:19 pm

So I've recently inherited another Farmall, a Super-A, and its been running great mostly. I had some initial work to do, it had sat for two years without running, Cleaning the carb and fuel system. The first problem that kept it from running ended up being corrosion on the contacts in the cap, and on the points. After all of that, it ran great for a couple months. Now I am having trouble getting it started. With the ignition switch pushed in, and pulling on the starter rod it turns over great and at a very good speed. Whenever the ignition switch is pulled out to the run position, the starter cannot turn over at any real speed, it lugs along part of a rotation at a time (with the compression of the cylinders). Any ideas on what the problem could be or where to start looking? I've tried two nearly new batteries from my other Farmalls and they have proved no better. All my batteries are kept inside on battery tenders over the winter.
Successful people don't have fewer problems. They have determined that nothing will stop them from going forward.
-Benjamin Carson-

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Farmall Super-A starter

Postby Eugene » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:34 pm

Ignition timing. Better yet, complete engine tune up.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:35 pm

Have you tried cleaning the connections on the ignition switch?
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39
Circle of Safety

farmalllove
Tractors Owned: 1952 Farmall cub with international plow, snow plow, cultivators, and mower.
1953 Farmall Super A with hydraulic lift, flat belt Buzz-Saw, Snow plow, bucket, and cultivators.

Postby farmalllove » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:45 pm

It has new cap, rotor, points, and condenser as of a couple months ago, they are all clean. The tractor idled perfectly and ran great before, it seems to be a sudden problem and not one that has gradually worsened. I'll try cleaning the ignition switch's contacts up and see if that makes a difference.
Successful people don't have fewer problems. They have determined that nothing will stop them from going forward.
-Benjamin Carson-

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07727
Tractors Owned: '58 International Cub Lo-Boy
2 - '46 International A's

Postby Lt.Mike » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:22 pm

Yup, always go through the simple free stuff first.
Clean all your electrical connections including your grounds first. If it wasn’t the problem it was going to be. ;)
Quote by Gary Pickeral I like
"If it can cast a shadow, it can be restored"

1958 Cub Lo-Boy
1952 Farmall Cub, Paula's Cub
1952 Farmall Cub (#2)
1946 International IA (Lil’Mule)
1946 International IA (#2)
1953 Farmall SA

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:28 pm

sounds more like timing as you say it spins fine with the ignition off, when you turn the ignition on it puts a load on it, make sure your firing order is correct, if this has a distributor make sure the advance weights are working correctly, seen many that are frozen and broken springs

farmalllove

Postby farmalllove » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:05 pm

After cleaning the contacts of the ignition switch I was able to get it to start. After driving it awhile, I shut it off and started it again. It acted similar to it had before but to a lesser degree. Thanks for the help, when it warms up some more, in a couple of months, I will do a tune-up and replace the spark plugs. This spring/summer I will rewire the whole tractor. Thanks again for the help.
-Benjamin Carson-

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:19 pm

I agree with Tim on this, If the advance is frozen or the springs broken or weak, the distributor will tend to stay in the advanced position and will push back at the starter, causing the cranking issue. When you do your tune-up, remove the distributor and fully service the centrifugal advance mechanism. After reassembly, time the engine with a timing light, paying particular attention to idle timing and full no load rpm timing.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:41 pm

As several have said, check the timing. Static time it at 0 advance. When you have time/weather later on, check that the advance is working as previously suggested.