This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Super A runs for a few minutes, then stales. Will start again after five minutes of sitting

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Berhidle
Zip Code: 13054

Super A runs for a few minutes, then stales. Will start again after five minutes of sitting

Postby Berhidle » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:56 pm

:tractor:

Hello!

Although I am newish to the Super A, I am not new to figuring out mechanical issue or carbs. My favorite car was a 77 Chrysler Newport Royal with a 383 4-bbl. I spent a lot of time loving on that car, and she ran great! Left everyone in the dust, too! (I put my money in the engine and drive train, not the bling!"

So, to the Super A. I believe it is around a 53. I'm not sure how to tell what the age is.

SHORT HISTORY:

This was my grandparent's tractor, until my grandmother passed away fourteen years ago. My brother was 'running' the tractor every once in a while, just to keep it in good shape.

Now I have a need to use the tractor, but have found out that it sat for eight years with gas in it! :evil: When I found out, I was FAR from happy!

WHAT I HAVE DONE:

Needless to say, the battery needed to be replaced. I also pulled the fuel strainer and flushed the tank...three times...to get the junk out of it. It's still not one hundred percent, but the fuel is cleaner.

I replaced the strainer as a whole. It was easier than getting the pieces I needed to fix this one (Bowl was cracked, screen was torn, gasket cracked).

I removed the copper line and put a rubber 5/16" hose in it's place. (Sorry about that, purists!) I'll probably go back to copper, once I am past this headache.

I rebuilt the carb. The old float still works fine, so I didn't replace that, but it DOES have a new needle and seat in, and I flushed it well with carb cleaner and air.

I cleaned out the oil bath air intake. What was in there was more like tar than oil.

Pulled the plugs, cleaned them and gaped them. They looked pretty good, so I was ok with leaving them for now.

Nothing wires yet. I have good spark.

Points look ok. They probably need a filing, though.

THE PROBLEM:

I can start the engine with the choke, and then push it in and it will run fine. Far better than I expected. And it will idle for fifteen minutes without issue. :{_}:

BUT, if I try driving it around, I can get MAYBE five minutes, then it stalls - like it's out of gas. (There's three gallons in the tank)

If I let it sit for about five minutes, it will start and run again for four or five minutes. Idles longer.

I check the ID of the copper tubing. It is less than the ID of replacement nipples I put on the strainer and carb.

THE QUESTION: :help:

Have any of you seen this issue before? Can you give me any ideas of what else I should be checking?

I have considered a low pressure, 6 volt fuel pump for the tractor, with a pressure regulator to drop the pressure down to under one pound, but I really don't want to corrupt the tractor any more than I have!

Any HELPFUL feedback is appreciated!

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Super A runs for a few minutes, then stales. Will start again after five minutes of sitting

Postby Don McCombs » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:44 pm

Despite your efforts to date, it sounds to me like you still have a partial fuel obstruction somewhere. I'd go through the complete fuel system again, looking for debris. This time, include the vent holes in the fuel cap. When you do decide to replace the rubber fuel line, use 5/16 steel. That's the way it came from the factory.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Re: Super A runs for a few minutes, then stales. Will start again after five minutes of sitting

Postby Eugene » Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:26 pm

Coil breaking down. Operate the tractor until it dies. Then immediately check for spark.

No or weak spark, coil. Good spark, fuel related.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:14 pm

Did you check the carb fuel inlet screen (#5 below, Elbow with Strainer)? Not sure which carb you have, but it might be something to check:
http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Super%20A%20-%20Super%20AV/TC-39B%20Parts%20Catalog/Page%2038.jpg
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

muleboss
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 66839

Postby muleboss » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:53 pm

I am going with fuel blockage. Maybe something in tank floating.

Steve Butram
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 47906
eBay ID: steveb05
Tractors Owned: 1947 in well used condition
1948 restored
Nice original 1950 just out of the Demo Range
628 2 wheel Trailer
1950 Demo
Tryke
Rat Cub

Postby Steve Butram » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:57 am

I have considered a low pressure, 6 volt fuel pump for the tractor, with a pressure regulator to drop the pressure down to under one pound, but I really don't want to corrupt the tractor any more than I have!

Not sure the carb would tolerate pressurized fuel

Disconnect the fuel line at the carb and see if the line if flowing a decent amount of fuel out of the line.If you have good fuel flow then it may be an ignition coil overheating
Be prepared to be unprepared Seth Goden

tnestell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48609

Postby tnestell » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:32 am

I have had all the problems that Don, Eugene, and Dale describe. Isn't there a drain on the fuel bowl that you can open, with your pump off, that you can check flow?

Berhidle

Postby Berhidle » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:02 am

Thank you for all of the replies.

I failed to mention that I am in upstate New York - Syracuse area. The average high has been around freezing, so not sure how that plays with the coil overheating. When the engine stalls, if I pull the choke it starts up and runs again without any problem, until the fuel runs out.

I’m planning on taking the fuel tank off and rinsing it out. I have have pretty good fuel flow at the carb, and very little debris in any of the screens, which is puzzling me.

From what is being posted, it may be best just to start at the tank and go through the whole system again.

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07727
Tractors Owned: 1 -'58 International Cub Lo-Boy
2 - '46 International A's
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A
1 - ‘41 Ford 9N with a ‘49 8N Engine
1 - ‘48 (5641) Allis Chalmers G

Postby Lt.Mike » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:31 pm

Dale Finch wrote:Did you check the carb fuel inlet screen (#5 below, Elbow with Strainer)? Not sure which carb you have, but it might be something to check:
http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Super%20A%20-%20Super%20AV/TC-39B%20Parts%20Catalog/Page%2038.jpg

This caused me some headache awhile back. It’s easy to be missed and will clog with debris.
Quote by Gary Pickeral I like
"If it can cast a shadow, it can be restored"

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.

Postby Cub-Bud » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:29 pm

So, this only happens when driving/moving :?:
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

Berhidle

Postby Berhidle » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:16 pm

It happens if the engine’s RPMs are above idle - say 1/3 throttle.

I have done some more work on the tractor and found that the outlet for the tank is being plugged by sediment. I had flushed the tank three times, but there is still enough junk in the bottom that it’s stirred up when I put fuel in the tank.

I’m going to pump out what is in there and take the tank off. I will let it dry completely, turn it from time to time to get the ‘layers’ of junk out, then I’ll use a scrub brush to clean it out. I think one of this Just toilet brushes will work.

That should take care of it. At least I hope it does!

Thanks for all of the advice!

More to follow!

nomad
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 06443

Postby nomad » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:42 am

an easy way to confirm whether it's the tank is to watch the sediment bowl. if it's not full and there's an air layer up on top then you know the fuel is not flowing in from the tank. Nomad

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:30 am

How about power washing the tank on low psi?
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Berhidle

Postby Berhidle » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:04 am

Hello all!

An update on this: I removed the tank from the tractor this evening and flushed it out with plain water. I rinsed it three times with about a half gallon each time.

I got quite a bit of junk out of it. When I looked inside, though, there was still a muddy consistency of dirt and rust around the outlet.

I have a small wooden dowel I use for checking the level of the fuel in the tank. I used that to loosen this area up. I rinsed the tank twice more, and now it is relatively clean inside.

I’m letting it dry overnight, then I’m going to rinse it with gas to be sure that all the water is out of it.

One question I have for you: do you see a problem adding isopropyl alcohol to the gas to help absorb the water?

I don’t think it will cause any problems for the carb or for the engine, but I want to be sure.

Thanks for all the support! I really do appreciate it!

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:35 am

If you're using fuel with ethanol in it, it probably has enough alcohol to absorb any remaining water. Otherwise, I don't think there would be any problem.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

A. K. Trenfor