It’s time......

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Saucymynx
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 37377

It’s time......

Postby Saucymynx » Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:39 am

To remove the left rear wheel from my 140. The rubber is shot and the rim bolt mounts are messed up. I will replace both. Before that, though, i have to get the darn thing off - and it has a very heavy-looking wheel weight! Do ya’ll recommend removing the wheel and weight as a unit and then taking the weight off? Take the weight off first? I fo have a slight aversion to being crushed! I have a FEL if that might help. And where does one put a jack stand under the wheel? Thanks in advance!

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: It’s time......

Postby tst » Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:35 pm

take the bolts off at the rim where they mount to the center, no need to remove the center to get the tire and rim off

Saucymynx
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby Saucymynx » Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:33 pm

tst wrote:take the bolts off at the rim where they mount to the center, no need to remove the center to get the tire and rim off

I wish i could. The rim had been loos on the center for some time and the subsequent play caused the square bolt head to get cockeyed and severely wedged in the now-distorted square recess. I have racked my brain but can’t figure a way to get the bolt out. Not sure what I will do when its off - probably set to it with a Sawzall and cut the square mounting hole....

While I am at it,is there anything that I should look for in a replacement rim, other than the correct size?

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:08 pm

Remove the 4 nuts from the bolts. See if you can get the rim loose with the bolts still in the lugs (lugs = square recess parts). Once the rim is free, lay it flat on the ground and try to knock the bolts out.

If the rim won't come off with the bolts in place, try knocking the bolts out one at a time while the rim is still attached.

If that can't be done, remove the wheel weight first (150 pounds). Then unbolt the center with the rim attached. Lay it flat on the ground and try to knock the bolts out.

There is a jacking pad directly under the differential.

You do not want to destroy the lugs unless absolutely necessary. Original style replacements are not available.

Saucymynx
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby Saucymynx » Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:16 pm

Thanks Jim. I didn't realize that the rims weren't available. I thought i saw something like them in the steiner catalog. That being the case, I could go at the bolts with a small die grinder. Might take a while..... Even if i get the bolt out, the lug is really messed up!!

muleboss
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 66839

Postby muleboss » Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:22 pm

If you get the nuts off, the bolts should drive out with a punch.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:16 pm

You can get replacement rims. However the lugs are a steel loop, not like the originals. They use different style bolts.

Saucymynx
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby Saucymynx » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:41 pm

Thanks to all the good advice here, I got the rim off with no difficulty - piece of cake, actually! Now for the next problem - as you might be able to see from the pic, the mounting lugs are pretty much worn out. All 4 look the same. Its a wonder the wheel stayed on! I have a call in to the yard where i bought th ol' girl to see if he has an OE rim. Keeping my fingers crossed! While I have the wheel off I cleaned off the 50 years of baked on dirt grease and am going to change the oil in the final drive. Now to see if I can find the gaskets!!
Attachments
Wheel lug.jpg

Saucymynx
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby Saucymynx » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:43 pm

On my previous post, for orientation the rim is off and leaning against the front of the tractor. Also, I found it very easy to jack up the tracyor with a hi lift jack under the lip of the weight. this left the pad under the axle clear to put a jack stand.

mozer71
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 22650

Postby mozer71 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:31 pm

I'm also really glad the wheel didn't break off. Looks like you caught that in time and have a jack stand in place. These do sink/ tilt and may want to block some tires from moving. If the inside of the rim isn't all corroded, the outside rust can be blasted off. Some good welder could repair the outside if there is any integrity left in the inside. In fact; sometimes go to extremes where entire areas of the inside are rebuilt with metal patches. Still, it would be better to find a nice rim. Wishing you well!

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:42 pm

Wow. I've never seen lugs that bad. The rim would have probably removed itself before long. The bolts being cockeyed may be all that kept it on.

Keep in mind that the rims were made in different widths. When you look for replacements, you want to end up with a matched pair.

Saucymynx
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby Saucymynx » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:07 pm

Well, I caught a break on this one! There is a tractor graveyard over on the next mountain top, about 30 mile away. I see things listed on CL and have been meaning to get over there. I called him up and asked about wheels. As is just so happened, he had a 130 that he was parting out with wheels/tires on. It was a a beautiful day for a drive, so I headed over. The rubber was shot but the wheels looked to be in good shape, other than mud-caked and rusty. The lugs were in great shape. While I only need one, I bought them both, just because. I stopped at the Co-op and they took the rubber off for me. One rim was pretty rusty inside, but the other looks great. I just started in with a wire wheel, and they are going to clean up great!. I will get them painted and get a new tire on one (the other tire on the tractor is pretty much brand new). I think I will flip them so they are dished out (wider). I am also going to take the opportunity to drop the final drive cover on that side an clean it out and change the lube. As thick and gunky as the trans fluid was, I am sure there is a surprise or two waiting for me in there!

On another note, the gentleman that I bought the wheels from also has a fairly complete fast hitch off a 140 if anyone is looking. It was missing the left-sided adjustment crank and fender mounts, but everything else seemed to be there. It is located about 45 min outside Chattanooga, TN. If you are interested, PM me and I can get you his tel number