Distributor

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
User avatar
Stanton
Team Cub
Team Cub
Posts: 6169
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:56 am
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: Lone Jack, MO

Re: Distributor

Postby Stanton » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:39 am

Tb20 wrote:Ok so next question is what are the stock belt sizes for an A? Also I’m converting to 12 v will I be able to use the stndard belt size? I h e read In all the manuals I have access to Nd not a single one of them lists what the actual belt size is!


If you have a piece of 1/2" diameter rope, then wrap it around both pulleys and mark the place where they overlap. Then lay it out and measure that length. Go to your favorite auto parts store and get a power-rated belt of that size or several close to that size. Find which one fits and return the others to the store. From another forum, I read 26-1/2" for the alternator belt. I'd do the rope measurement first...
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Tb20
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:35 pm
Zip Code: 61021

Re: Distributor

Postby Tb20 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:27 am

Eugene wrote:
Tb20 wrote:Ok so next question is what are the stock belt sizes for an A? Also I’m converting to 12 v will I be able to use the stndard belt size? I h e read In all the manuals I have access to Nd not a single one of them lists what the actual belt size is!
Save the pulley from you old generator. If you are using a Delco 10SI or Delco clone alternator the pulley from you old generator should fit. That way you do not have to worry about changing any other pulleys to match the alternator belt size.


Thanks for the tip

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Posts: 14851
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2003 2:59 pm
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: MN

Re: Distributor

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:59 am

Tb20 wrote:Ok so next question is what are the stock belt sizes for an A? Also I’m converting to 12 v will I be able to use the stndard belt size? I h e read In all the manuals I have access to Nd not a single one of them lists what the actual belt size is!

The fan belt is 46869D, 25/32 top width by 34-1/8 long. This is for a tractor without a water pump.
The generator belt is 49291D, 17/32 top width by 26-5/16 long. That probably isn't useful for what you are doing.

Tb20
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:35 pm
Zip Code: 61021

Re: Distributor

Postby Tb20 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:38 pm

Jim Becker wrote:
Tb20 wrote:Ok so next question is what are the stock belt sizes for an A? Also I’m converting to 12 v will I be able to use the stndard belt size? I h e read In all the manuals I have access to Nd not a single one of them lists what the actual belt size is!

The fan belt is 46869D, 25/32 top width by 34-1/8 long. This is for a tractor without a water pump.
The generator belt is 49291D, 17/32 top width by 26-5/16 long. That probably isn't useful for what you are doing.


Of course it’s useful. It give me a place to start. Thank you!

Tb20
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:35 pm
Zip Code: 61021

Re: Distributor

Postby Tb20 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:40 pm

Stanton wrote:
Tb20 wrote:Ok so next question is what are the stock belt sizes for an A? Also I’m converting to 12 v will I be able to use the stndard belt size? I h e read In all the manuals I have access to Nd not a single one of them lists what the actual belt size is!


If you have a piece of 1/2" diameter rope, then wrap it around both pulleys and mark the place where they overlap. Then lay it out and measure that length. Go to your favorite auto parts store and get a power-rated belt of that size or several close to that size. Find which one fits and return the others to the store. From another forum, I read 26-1/2" for the alternator belt. I'd do the rope measurement first...


Thanks for the advice. Not sure what you mean by lower rated belt? I always use Kevlar belts on everything I have

User avatar
Stanton
Team Cub
Team Cub
Posts: 6169
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:56 am
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: Lone Jack, MO

Re: Distributor

Postby Stanton » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:38 am

Tb20 wrote:
Stanton wrote:
Tb20 wrote:Ok so next question is what are the stock belt sizes for an A? Also I’m converting to 12 v will I be able to use the stndard belt size? I h e read In all the manuals I have access to Nd not a single one of them lists what the actual belt size is!


If you have a piece of 1/2" diameter rope, then wrap it around both pulleys and mark the place where they overlap. Then lay it out and measure that length. Go to your favorite auto parts store and get a power-rated belt of that size or several close to that size. Find which one fits and return the others to the store. From another forum, I read 26-1/2" for the alternator belt. I'd do the rope measurement first...


Thanks for the advice. Not sure what you mean by lower rated belt? I always use Kevlar belts on everything I have


You mis-read it. Didn't say "lower rated" I wrote "power-rated" belt. A Kevlar belt is exactly that type of belt.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Tb20
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:35 pm
Zip Code: 61021

Re: Distributor

Postby Tb20 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:37 pm

Ok next question. I put the fan back on the hub and went to re mount the hub to the tractor. It had a flat washer a lock washer and a nut. I put the washer on the shaft and tried to put the lock nut and but in the back but the lock washer won’t fit into the Chanel. And it can’t go on the outside because it throws off the pulley alignment. So do I just have the wrong size lock washer? Is there even supposed to be a lock washer?

User avatar
Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Posts: 14423
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2003 6:45 am
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: MD, Deep Creek Lake

Re: Distributor

Postby Don McCombs » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:05 pm

Have you checked the parts catalog to see if it calls for one?
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Image
Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39
Circle of Safety

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Posts: 14851
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2003 2:59 pm
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: MN

Re: Distributor

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:49 pm

Essentially the same as a Cub, no lock washer. And you tighten it by turning the shaft, not the nut.

Tb20
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:35 pm
Zip Code: 61021

Re: Distributor

Postby Tb20 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:02 pm

Don McCombs wrote:Have you checked the parts catalog to see if it calls for one?

Yes I did check the parts catalog. It shows the flat washer but no lock washer or nut.

Tb20
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:35 pm
Zip Code: 61021

Re: Distributor

Postby Tb20 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:04 pm

Jim Becker wrote:Essentially the same as a Cub, no lock washer. And you tighten it by turning the shaft, not the nut.

Thank you for that. Also to verify the oil slinger gizmo in there should look like a backwards six looking at it. Correct?

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Posts: 14851
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2003 2:59 pm
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: MN

Re: Distributor

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:04 pm

I get tripped up over the frontwards/backwards/upside down six or is it a nine. I'll put it this way, the drawing in parts catalog TC-26F has it backwards.

By the way, the nut is not illustrated in the catalog, but it is listed. It is listed under the part it holds (the fan spindle). It is part number 114498. There is no lock washer listed. It takes a bit of practice to get some information out of the catalogs.

User avatar
Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Posts: 14423
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2003 6:45 am
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: MD, Deep Creek Lake

Re: Distributor

Postby Don McCombs » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:18 pm

Tb20 wrote:
Don McCombs wrote:Have you checked the parts catalog to see if it calls for one?

Yes I did check the parts catalog. It shows the flat washer but no lock washer or nut.

The parts catalog lists a 5/8 jam nut.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Image
Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39
Circle of Safety

Tb20
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:35 pm
Zip Code: 61021

Re: Distributor

Postby Tb20 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:14 am

Jim Becker wrote:I get tripped up over the frontwards/backwards/upside down six or is it a nine. I'll put it this way, the drawing in parts catalog TC-26F has it backwards.

By the way, the nut is not illustrated in the catalog, but it is listed. It is listed under the part it holds (the fan spindle). It is part number 114498. There is no lock washer listed. It takes a bit of practice to get some information out of the catalogs.

Tb20
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:35 pm
Zip Code: 61021

Re: Distributor

Postby Tb20 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:16 am

Jim Becker wrote:I get tripped up over the frontwards/backwards/upside down six or is it a nine. I'll put it this way, the drawing in parts catalog TC-26F has it backwards.

By the way, the nut is not illustrated in the catalog, but it is listed. It is listed under the part it holds (the fan spindle). It is part number 114498. There is no lock washer listed. It takes a bit of practice to get some information out of the catalogs.

Thanks. I didn’t think to look through the parts list for parts not shown in the diagram.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests