Catastrophic Failure

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
User avatar
Stanton
Team Cub
Team Cub
Posts: 6173
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:56 am
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: Lone Jack, MO

Re: Catastrophic Failure

Postby Stanton » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:58 am

TraumaOne wrote:I had a few friends over this afternoon with a cherry picker and we managed to get the broken left final drive back on the tractor and push it back into the garage. The tractor was out in the snow for a week, I took my time and got it covered with a large tarp before we got 8" of the white stuff. The initial inspection looks good, nothing glaringly wrong. That may change after some further investigation, I'll also grab some pics for you folks as soon as i can. Now that it is back in the garage, I can seriously start looking for my parts.

Thanks to all.


Glad to read you got it back inside where you can work on it.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Ol Timey Farming LLC
Cub Star
Cub Star
Posts: 151
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:09 pm
Zip Code: 39465
Tractors Owned: 1950 Super A
1950 Cub
Location: Petal, Mississippi

Re: Catastrophic Failure

Postby Ol Timey Farming LLC » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:36 pm

White stuff???? Were supposed to be in the upper 70's this weekend here in Mississippi... I'll try sending some of our summer heat up to ya so you can work on that ole' gal n get her going soon.... (all kidding aside, good luck n keep us posted on parts search n repairs)

Chris...

User avatar
TraumaOne
Cub Star
Cub Star
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:50 am
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: '51 Super A
Location: Michigan

Re: Catastrophic Failure

Postby TraumaOne » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:48 am

Ol Timey Farming LLC wrote:White stuff???? Were supposed to be in the upper 70's this weekend here in Mississippi... I'll try sending some of our summer heat up to ya so you can work on that ole' gal n get her going soon.... (all kidding aside, good luck n keep us posted on parts search n repairs)

Chris...


Shoot, I wish, Michigan's fall quickly turned cold this year. I've got a lead on an entire rear end, including both final drives and trans (which I don't need) for a good price. I'll keep you posted.
Image

User avatar
TraumaOne
Cub Star
Cub Star
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:50 am
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: '51 Super A
Location: Michigan

Re: Catastrophic Failure

Postby TraumaOne » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:05 am

This came home yesterday after a long road trip. The guy selling it said it had a cracked block and he didn't need the rest of it for his project. I ended up buying it for less than the cost of a single final drive.

Image

Do any of you have any recommendations for gaskets or seals? if I'm going to tear down one final drive, I'm considering doing both.

TIA.
Image

User avatar
Shane N.
501 Club
501 Club
Posts: 4565
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:24 am
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: .
1970 International 140 (Norman)
1972 International 140 (Keeferdoodle)
1949 John Deere A
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original

Sold Cubs..
1947 Cub #1447 (Arnold)
1949 Cub (Walt)
1950 Cub (piece of junk)
1952 Cub
1975 IH Cub
1974 IH Lo-Boy
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: N.C.

Re: Catastrophic Failure

Postby Shane N. » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:15 am

TraumaOne wrote:This came home yesterday after a long road trip. The guy selling it said it had a cracked block and he didn't need the rest of it for his project. I ended up buying it for less than the cost of a single final drive.

Image

Do any of you have any recommendations for gaskets or seals? if I'm going to tear down one final drive, I'm considering doing both.

TIA.

That's awesome!

For seals, I would take the old ones out and see if you can get the number off of them and get them at a local auto parts store or order them off the internet. I try to avoid the dealer markup at all cost :lol:

Gaskets, get some gasket material and make them yourself. You can get a cheap hole punch kit and do the holes from a tool place.
Every home is a school, what are you teaching?

Circle of Safety

Ol Timey Farming LLC
Cub Star
Cub Star
Posts: 151
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:09 pm
Zip Code: 39465
Tractors Owned: 1950 Super A
1950 Cub
Location: Petal, Mississippi

Re: Catastrophic Failure

Postby Ol Timey Farming LLC » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:39 pm

Shane N. wrote:That's awesome!

For seals, I would take the old ones out and see if you can get the number off of them and get them at a local auto parts store or order them off the internet. I try to avoid the dealer markup at all cost :lol:

Gaskets, get some gasket material and make them yourself. You can get a cheap hole punch kit and do the holes from a tool place.

Stiener Tractor along with possibly some of our sponsors may also carry all the gaskets and seals if you can't match them up at local parts places. Ive had good luck finding parts for my 1950 SA w/ Stiener and they helped make sure what I was needing was correct for year and type. They have many ole' tractor ppl working there that have been there done that so they were helpful in making sure I got what I needed n even helped telling me some tricks/tips on doing it. My local parts places usually has kids working there that if you can't give exact year of vehicle then they get lost as they can't just punch it into the computer. And a 70+ year old tractor ISN'T in the system... They can't even open the parts book to reference part #'s. I think I even saw a complete kit having all the seals and gaskets for finals in my Steiner Catalog.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Posts: 14857
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2003 2:59 pm
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: MN

Re: Catastrophic Failure

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:16 pm

TraumaOne wrote:. . . Do any of you have any recommendations for gaskets or seals? if I'm going to tear down one final drive, I'm considering doing both.

If it were me, I wouldn't tear any of them down, at least not now. Take the pan off the replacement, dump out the old oil, and check for warning signs (like bits of metal). If things look OK, bolt it on with a little gasket sealer, fill with fresh oil, and go on about my business like nothing happened.

Use it long enough to see if there are problems (noise/leaks). If so, tear back into it. Installing/removing final drives just isn't that much work.

User avatar
Stanton
Team Cub
Team Cub
Posts: 6173
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:56 am
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: Lone Jack, MO

Re: Catastrophic Failure

Postby Stanton » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:16 pm

Jim Becker wrote:If it were me, I wouldn't tear any of them down, at least not now. Take the pan off the replacement, dump out the old oil, and check for warning signs (like bits of metal). If things look OK, bolt it on with a little gasket sealer, fill with fresh oil, and go on about my business like nothing happened.

Use it long enough to see if there are problems (noise/leaks). If so, tear back into it. Installing/removing final drives just isn't that much work.


:Dito:
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

User avatar
Indy4570
501 Club
501 Club
Posts: 850
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:12 am
Zip Code: 65608
Tractors Owned: 49 F cub, donor
50 Farmall Cub bugeyes(dead)
51 Farmall Cub
53 Farmall Cub
55 Farmall Cub Clementine
55 International loboy
57 International loboy
62 140 Industrial The Beast
50s Allis Chalmers B
50 Ferguson TO20 Huppster
49 Ferguson TE20 Fergie
JD 790 4x4 w/backhoe
Gilson 18HP
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: Missouri Ozarks

Re: Catastrophic Failure

Postby Indy4570 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:57 pm

gee, nice find!
Circle of Safety
better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it...( YES this includes CUBS! )


Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests