This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Snow Removal - Which model is best?

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
TraumaOne
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: '51 Super A

Snow Removal - Which model is best?

Postby TraumaOne » Fri May 03, 2019 8:57 am

I would like to firstly say that this forum is filled with an astonishing amount of information. That being said, I'll move into my question which is likely a matter of opinion for most. I moved into a house last year that has a fairly long gravel driveway that can be quite a chore to clean out in the Winter without a plow. I've always wanted a Farmall Tractor and now I have a reason to buy one.

For snow removal, I've been looking at two tractor models, the Cub and the Super A. Both models appear to be somewhat available in my area (Michigan) and some with plows already attached. The second question is tractor fit. I'm a big guy (6'4") and on the heavy side, would one of these be more fitting than the other? I'm looking for some direction as to what model I should be looking for this summer.

Thanks in advance,

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Snow Removal - Which model is best?

Postby Eugene » Fri May 03, 2019 9:12 am

Opinion. I would go with the larger, heavier tractor for snow removal.

Actually, the Super A has many advantages over the Cub besides removing snow. Having said that, I own two Cubs and other larger machines.
I have an excuse. CRS.

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Fri May 03, 2019 11:51 am

I agree with Eugene, the Super A is a better tractor than the Cub. A bigger more powerful tractor with it's additional weight and horsepower will move more snow with greater ease. Having a 4 speed transmission is better than the 3 speed Cub. It gives you more options of ground speed. That being said, I have and love my Cub. With the right tire chains and wheel weights (I run double wheel weights) it can be a snow pushing beast.

If you have a Super A and need to find a grader blade for snow plowing, you'll have a more difficult time finding one and it will cost you more than a Cub blade. A good Cub blade typically runs between $150-$200. A good blade for a Super A will more likely run you around $450 if you can find one. Either way, if find a good example of either the Super A or Cub, you can't go wrong. On the other hand, blowing snow is the most efficient way to move snow. I prefer plowing because I hate getting snow blown back in my face. That and I just enjoy plowing with my Cub... :lol:
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

ajhbike
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 06405
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub
1951 Super C
1966 IH 504 Hi-Clear
1968 JD 3020
1949 JD B
1949 Ford 8N
1955 Ferguson TO-35

Postby ajhbike » Fri May 03, 2019 11:59 am

My 2 cents...I don't have a long drive, but I do a few drives in the neighborhood so I get alot of linear feet/seat time for each storm although not like Michegan.

Cubs are nice to putz around in but lack the moxie to move real snow. I find the Super A more powerful and heavier for sure, but I don't find it easy to get on and off (Cubs either for that matter) and your feet seem to be way out in front of you...whereas the Cub is more comfortable to sit on to me.

You guys get serious snow so I would get bigger than a Cub or a Super A. I like my big machines to get big snow dealt with.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri May 03, 2019 12:57 pm

The Super A is bigger, more powerful, quicker to finish a given job, has a slightly roomier platform, etc. The main advantages of a Cub are less storage space required in a shed, major parts weigh less if you work on it, and it is easier to find stuff to go with it. Although a Super A and related equipment shouldn't be that hard to find in Michigan.

However, the bigger question is how much snow you are likely to get at one time. After all, you don't have to push December snow after a February storm. How much room you have to push it back is also relevant. Without some push back room, you start to need a snow blower. By the way, snow blowers aren't a panacea either. Besides the previously mentioned fact they blow a lot of it on you, with light snow they don't throw it far enough and with wet snow all they want to do is plug up.

Last winter, my drive got plowed a few times when I wasn't available. They didn't push it back enough and I had to use a blower some of the time to get fresh snow past the frozen piles.

I would suggest getting a Super A, but only if you find one with a blade. If buy a Super A without one, you are then committed to finding a Super A blade, which may prove to be difficult. By the way, when you go looking for equipment to go on either tractor, study the owner's manual or parts catalog so you can make sure major pieces aren't missing.

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Mon May 06, 2019 7:48 am

Either way you choose, I'd make certain it had hydraulics and all the attachments you require.
I have a long gravel driveway in Michigan and haven't had any difficulties pushing snow with a lowboy (with chains).
A Cub or a Super A could only be better. If you intend to also use it for mowing purposes, then I'd look for something shorter that can fit under tree limbs.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

TraumaOne
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: '51 Super A

Postby TraumaOne » Mon May 06, 2019 10:21 am

Thanks for all the replies, Super A it is. I appreciate all the insight into things I should consider.

You guys are great!