This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Farmall 140 Disc Question

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
id_birdhntr
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 83616

Farmall 140 Disc Question

Postby id_birdhntr » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:31 am

I will be having my grandfathers 1972 Farmall 140 shipped to me this spring and it has a drawbar setup. I am trying to figure out what type of disc to get and how to best attach to the tractor. I was hoping to keep the tractor as is but it seems finding an IH 122 or similar that is compatible with a drawbar is going to be hard to find. It also seems if I were to look for a fast hitch setup those may also be difficult to find. Are these options going to be too difficult to find if I keep searching the internet or do I break down and find a way to convert it to a 3 point? Any help is appreciated. I will be using it on a 2 acre property we just bought that has been weeds for years so I can see a lot of use for the disc in my future. :) :help:

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Farmall 140 Disc Question

Postby Don McCombs » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:29 am

What are your plans for the two acres?
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

id_birdhntr
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby id_birdhntr » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:42 am

It will mostly be pasture as well as a garden. The reason I would like to keep the drawbar setup is I already have a sickle bar attachment and set of two way plows that use the drawbar.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:12 pm

The main advantage of a lift disk (Fast-Hitch, 3-point, or direct bolt on) is maneuverability in tight spaces. If you will have a lot of room available for turning around at the ends of your garden, maneuverability isn't that important. In that case, a pull behind disk is another option.

Some advantages:
No mounting effort, just drop a pin through the drawbar.
Can use any brand of machine, just keep a tandem disk under about 5 feet, maybe 6.
I think they generally do a better job (usually weigh more).

Drawbacks:
Depth of cut can only be controlled by partly straightening the machine, which reduces effectiveness.
You can't back up more than a few feet.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:39 pm

You might consider something like these, any of which will cost you less than a Fast-Hitch or 3-point for your tractor:
ATV disks:
https://boise.craigslist.org/grd/d/namp ... 09524.html
https://boise.craigslist.org/grd/d/mars ... 18486.html

An old small wheel disk. My dad had one just like this that he pulled with a Farmall A, but not at full depth.
https://boise.craigslist.org/grd/d/emme ... 00588.html
I'd check availability of the right size tires before going with this one.

id_birdhntr
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby id_birdhntr » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:08 pm

Thanks. I've looked at similar but I would want to be able to lift it and maneuver in tighter spaces. The entire property besides the house and driveway need to be worked so those probably those would work great but once I have the pasture and lawn established it will get tight and I would have to cross the driveway. I think for now I will keep scouring the internet for a 1 point fast hitch assembly or I will just make/buy a 3 pt conversion. The one issue I am not sure of is if I do find an assembly if it will fit my 140. I have noticed pictures of tractors that have them and the lifter arms are different then the ones on mine. Mine are half rounded at the end with the hooks for the lifting chains.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:35 pm

OK, that knocks out the conventional pull behind disks. Maybe a wheel type ATV disk is still an option. There was only one style Fast-Hitch for the 100/130/140 tractors. There were 3 styles for the Cub and Cub Lo-Boy. None of the Cub or Lo-Boy hitches will fit the 140.

The lift arms you refer to are known as the rear rockshaft assembly. What you have is designed for tractors without Fast-Hitch. The rockshaft assembly for the Fast-Hitch is a different design. Even the lift rod between it and the Touch-Control system is different and will not mix. Any complete hitch you buy for your tractor needs to include the proper rockshaft. You should look at the Fast-Hitch section of the 140 Parts Catalog to get an understanding of what parts are needed.

1978cub
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 55125
Tractors Owned: Cub Lowboy w/105 mower
1979 Factory Red Longstripe Cub
1964 Cub factory red with white hood
140 International Farmall
Super A Hi Crop
100 hi Crop

Postby 1978cub » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:27 am

You cannot beat the FAST Hitch on a 140 for flexibility and performance! I suggest adding the fast hitch which also allows use of other fast hitch implements such as a blade, plow, etc.

id_birdhntr
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby id_birdhntr » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:46 am

Thanks for the idea I will look at the parts list. Living in Idaho we have tons of old tractors around but the 140 was not a very popular model in the west. I believe the fast hitch off of a Super A is the same? If I can't find one around here I will probably have to find one back east and ship it out. If I do find one I will end up getting the bracket that converts 3 pt attachments to the one point fast hitch. If you ever run across one please let me know.
Thanks

Scott

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”