Farmalls at auction...

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
seamajor
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 27576

Farmalls at auction...

Postby seamajor » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:01 pm

Hey everyone. Last weekend, my son and I went to a local auction to pickup a disk for our larger tractor that just happens to NOT be red....anyway there was a good number of farmalls up for bid. We took some video and thought we would share. What do you think of the prices? (The farmalls are toward the end...)
Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/3g4KZiukUHw

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07727
Tractors Owned: '58 International Cub Lo-Boy
2 - '46 International A's

Re: Farmalls at auction...

Postby Lt.Mike » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:40 pm

Interesting, I attended an auction earlier this month and a ‘53 Cub with cultivators went for $875 too. The fellow that bought it had no idea what he was going to do with it or anything about it, just thought it was cool.
I might have grabbed it if the bidding was ridiculously low but it did work out for me as there was a palet with the drawbar with brackets that obviously came off of the Cub. Along with that was a rough 48-52 grader blade that was missing the down rod and rockshaft arm. Those were auctioned separately and I only had one other mildly interested bidder.
I ended up winning them for $110. Couldn’t pass it up. I first thought it’d make good bartering fuel but I may first set it all up as a belly mount grader blade to level a gravel lot we have at the crane yard. We’ll see how well that goes.
Gotta say I’m hooked on these auctions now.
Mike
Quote by Gary Pickeral I like
"If it can cast a shadow, it can be restored"

1958 International Cub Lo-Boy
1952 Farmall Cub, Paula's Cub
1952 Farmall Cub (#2)
1946 International IA (Lil’Mule)
1946 International IA (#2)
:hattip:

T-Mo
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 63628
Tractors Owned: '47 Cub
'50 Cub
194 Plow
54A Blade
42 Woods Mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby T-Mo » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:14 am

I watched a few of your videos - it's refreshing in this video gaming day and age we're in to see a young man like your son so interested in old tractors, plus wanting to operate them. You're raising him right, in my opinion.

Stanton
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:44 am

Lt.Mike wrote:...there was a pallet with the drawbar with brackets that obviously came off of the Cub...Those were auctioned separately...

I often find that auctioneers unknowingly (or purposely) separate stuff like this. It can be a boon or a blessing, depending on whether you're trying to bid or not.

Sometimes, you can pick up a deal, other times, you have to just stand there and watch it go. :roll:
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Shane N.
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: .
1970 International 140 (Norman)
1972 International 140 (Keeferdoodle)
1949 John Deere A
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original

Sold Cubs..
1947 Cub #1447 (Arnold)
1949 Cub (Walt)
1950 Cub (piece of junk)
1952 Cub

Postby Shane N. » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:00 am

Stanton wrote:
Lt.Mike wrote:...there was a pallet with the drawbar with brackets that obviously came off of the Cub...Those were auctioned separately...

I often find that auctioneers unknowingly (or purposely) separate stuff like this. It can be a boon or a blessing, depending on whether you're trying to bid or not.

Sometimes, you can pick up a deal, other times, you have to just stand there and watch it go. :roll:

The auction we were at last week there were some trailers with small items on them. One of them had a corn planter (one of the wheels had a chunk missing out of it) for a Cub with most of the attaching hardware and the planter hopper. The fertilizer stuff was with it but one piece was broke on it (could have been fixed) fertilizer hopper was missing. I waited around on it and the auctioneer says "alright, on the parts for what looks to be off a Ford tractor" because they were all blue-ish. I started them at $10 and got out at $75. I didn't need it and with the stuff being broken made it less valuable to me.
Every home is a school, what are you teaching?
You can't have a million dollar dream with a minimum wage work ethic.
Circle of Safety

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Lt.Mike » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:17 am

Shane Nelson wrote:
Stanton wrote:

The auction we were at last week there were some trailers with small items on them. One of them had a corn planter (one of the wheels had a chunk missing out of it) for a Cub with most of the attaching hardware and the planter hopper. The fertilizer stuff was with it but one piece was broke on it (could have been fixed) fertilizer hopper was missing. I waited around on it and the auctioneer says "alright, on the parts for what looks to be off a Ford tractor" because they were all blue-ish. I started them at $10 and got out at $75. I didn't need it and with the stuff being broken made it less valuable to me.

I had just bought a Cub in Maryland last December so this one had to go really cheap, which it did but for me to jump $500 was my limit. Yes, had to let it go by. I know the winner will be looking for that drawbar and probably a snowplow down the road. Gotta buy what you know and do your homework before these kinda purchases.
I always keep my eye out for certain parts from wherever I find them to save to barter later down the road. Bartering is the best exchange in that both parties get something they need and both go away happy.
I learned a bunch of things at that auction. First you’ve got to put your hands in your pockets and stare at your shoes for the first bunch of numbers the auctioneer throws out. You want that number as low as he dares to take it.
$2000...$1500..$1000.. then all the way down to $20 to start on some items till someone bites and the bidding starts. You can also split the bid he’s shouting, “I’ve got $100 do I have $120!”
I offered $110 and got it for that.
I saw a really nice combine start at $20,000 and drop to $1,000 but nobody bid so it was a no sale. I don’t know one from another so I asked a fellow saying $1,000 seems like a steal for a combine, he said oh ya it is but this one was for harvesting sweet corn which no one grows around here anymore so no one needs it.
I had that cash in my pocket too ;) what do you think my wife would have said if I brought a combine home? :) (we have 2.25 acres)
But honey , it is a really nice tractor!
I could have parked Santa in the cab and put that on the front yard at Christmas time, let’s see the neighbors top that! :mrgreen:
Oh and I also learned don’t step up to an item activity being auctioned if you don’t intend to buy it. A miss perceived look or movement can make it yours! I almost bought a hay wagon that way. :lol:
Watch the bidders in the video some barely move but it’s enough to count as a bid.

1952 Farmall Cub (#2)

Stanton
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:45 am

Lt.Mike wrote:...A miss perceived look or movement can make it yours! I almost bought a hay wagon that way...

Rarely happens around here. Every auctioneer I know will double-check--during bidding--that a person's action or movement was a bid. I find that eye contact is what initially gets the auctioneer's attention to whether you're bidding or not.

Anyway, auctions are indeed entertaining. Glad for your success.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:20 pm

The few auctions that I ever get to, the auctioneer's know me personally and just how much I would pay for certain items. There have been times when I hear my number called and have to run over to see what I bought!-- so far all have been great deals! I know it sounds weird, but hey it works! thanks; sonny

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:30 pm

Bad grouping of lots is a constant problem at auctions. If something I am interested in is scattered across 2 lots, I rarely bid on it. I don't want to be in a "have to have it" second piece of something. I was at an auction where another buyer saved me on a good deal. I bought a lot because it had some Cub "new but weathered" planter parts. A couple lots later was a bunch of stuff I hadn't paid much attention to and didn't see anything of interest. The guy that bought the later lot came up to me a few minutes later, and pointed out that he had some pieces to my planter. I initially blew him off, but he insisted "But I have the rest of your planter." Turned out, he wanted some of the other stuff in his lot and gave me a good price for the planter parts. Between the two lots, I ended up with a planter that was lacking the ground working parts but had all the drive mechanism and hopper. I already had the ground working parts from another auction. Some of you have seen this planter, the Cub-171 with the hopper still in the wooden shipping crate.

One year at the IH Collectors auction, there was a long stripe Cub from an estate. It had been a work in progress but was mostly intact. I ignored it because there was just a little too much missing. However, assorted pieces that were obviously from it were scattered across multiple lots. Somebody would have spent half a day just trying to gather the pieces. I ended up with a few pieces of it. Stanton, I think you got some of it too.

Eye contact is everything when bidding. My first bid on something may be vocalized or done with a hand wave. Subsequent bids are rarely more than a small nod. I never split a bid. I usually interpret others split bids as a sign they are about to quit. If they do a split against me, I always bid once more, even if I had hit my limit. If the auctioneer initiates a reduced bid increment, I ignore the fact as that is just the way they conduct the sale. I continue/discontinue based on my original limit.

seamajor
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby seamajor » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:34 pm

T-Mo wrote:I watched a few of your videos - it's refreshing in this video gaming day and age we're in to see a young man like your son so interested in old tractors, plus wanting to operate them. You're raising him right, in my opinion.

Thank-you. We are very proud of Spencer. We post a lot of our projects online; whether we know what we are doing or not! Thanks for watching!

seamajor
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby seamajor » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:39 pm

If you watch me bid on the disk, you'll see I tried to split it, but I was not willing to let it go. I was hoping to get it around $850, but had to go to $1200. The cub with the woods mower went for a great price...and I almost bid on the 100. But I think we have enough tractors at the moment.

Shane N.
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: .
1970 International 140 (Norman)
1972 International 140 (Keeferdoodle)
1949 John Deere A
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original

Sold Cubs..
1947 Cub #1447 (Arnold)
1949 Cub (Walt)
1950 Cub (piece of junk)
1952 Cub

Postby Shane N. » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:59 pm

One thing that stuck out on your video to me is everybody has pants and a jacket or vest over a long sleeve shirt........except that one guy in a t-shirt and shorts. There was a guy at the one I went to the other day the same way and I had my insulated overhauls on and a heavy coat as did most other people.
Every home is a school, what are you teaching?
You can't have a million dollar dream with a minimum wage work ethic.
Circle of Safety

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Lt.Mike » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:58 pm

Yup it was cold the day we went and sure enough there was a guy in shorts too (???).
One thing the auctioneers did I didn’t like was halfway down the line they split off with one continuing down the line and the other moving inside the barn to auction the items off inside.
It made you make a choice between which to bid and which to let go.
There was one thing from the video, I wouldn’t want the guy in the green vest near a tractor I was selling. He couldn’t start a couple making them look like they had issues.

1952 Farmall Cub (#2)

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Lt.Mike » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:36 pm

Jim Becker wrote:
I never split a bid. I usually interpret others split bids as a sign they are about to quit.

True, I only had one guy bidding against me on the blade and drawbar. Good chance he felt I was about to tap out so he did before me as he may never have intended to win at all. Could have been in it just to run the price up. Splitting in this case might have forced his hand and saved me some cash. ;)

1952 Farmall Cub (#2)