This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Farmall super A

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Toproll615
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 37032

Farmall super A

Postby Toproll615 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:13 pm

I've got a farmall super A not sure of the year it was my granddad but he passed so I've got it not when I start it it'll run good for a few minutes then die no spitting or anything just die it's been converted to a alternator ive put a new alternator on it new battery cleaned carb and rewired it (hopefully correctly) but still the same problem ive run out of things to try please help. Thanks

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Slim140
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: .
1970 International 140
1972 International 140
1949 John Deere A
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Farmall super A

Postby Slim140 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:15 pm

Sounds like a fuel problem. Check inside the tank for an obstruction, fuel bowl under tank, line, filter if it has one then the carb.
Every home is a school, what are you teaching?

Circle of Safety

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:45 pm

Float in carb hanging up is one possible cause. First take line off as soon as it dies and see if you have gas flow from tank. Something could be rolling around inside of the tank. Another thing I run into is the sediment bowl assembly gets blocked with white corrosion and the hole gets too small for gas to flow. If you start it and tap on the carb while its running and see if that makes any difference will sometimes tell if its the carb itself. thanks; sonny

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:59 pm

Run/start the engine. As soon as the engine dies, check for spark at the spark plugs. No spark, coil or perhaps condenser.

After engine shuts itself off, if the engine will start up and runs after a short wait, perhaps 4 or 5 minutes, fuel problem Sonny discussed.
I have an excuse. CRS.

BullDAWG
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39401
Tractors Owned: 1950 Super A
1955 John Deere 60 (sold)
1950 Cub (sold) 1950 Cub l59 woods belly mower (sold)
1951 Cub (sold) 1950 Cub w/ 5' sicklebar (sold)
Tufline 6' disc (old heavy pull type)
1953+ A-295A 2 furrow SlatWing Plow Chief plow (SA)
1950 cub-193 1 furrow SWPC plow (cub) (sold)
6' home made bush hog. Mounts on drawbar

Postby BullDAWG » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:45 pm

+1 on Eugene, I think its the coil or condenser. See if you have spark when it dies. If NO SPARK then change the coil ( make sure to get right one) if you have a resistor type voltage regulator going to coil get the one that uses a regulator. If no resistor (voltage reducer) then get a 12V coil thats internally resisted. They cost about the same but I like the internally resisted just to remove the resistor and make wiring simpler. But make sure to use the right one or rewire it right to use the new coil you get. Also if no spark when hot then beside a new coil I would get a tune up kit that comes with a new cap rotor, condenser, spark plugs and points, think it cost me $25-30 at tractor supply for the tune up kit. So for about $50 you can have all new stuff and be sure it will get fire. I'd also recommend getting new plug wires if old ones are showing signs of cracking, deterioration or at night you can see the plug wires glow or ark fire to any metal. I'd also get the copper core wires (unless u got a radio as they will make radio noise) but they give far better fire and seem to last longer than the carbon core resistor type wires. If you are getting fire then like others said check if there is fuel in carb by removing the plug on bottom (or some have a valve you just turn to let the fuel drain from the bowl). If its fuel like was said it is clogged somewhere between fuel tank n carb, but one place they didn't mention is the filter made into the 90 where the fuel line goes into the carb. Any where the fuel may be blocked should be checked and fixed as without a fuel pump these tractors need free flow or they will not run long and when sitting the fuel slowly refills the carb bowl but once u run it again it will use gas faster than its getting to carb and run out. But either way if it will start it should be a simple fix to get grandfathers old tractor going good for ya...

A side note is I had an issue like you, my problem was the Super A sat up for a long time with only 2-3 gallons of gas and the tank got rusty above the fuel 9they hold 11-12 gallons so 8-10 gallon area got rusty... I had to remove the tank and put small rocks in it to remove the rust. Shook it, used a tank liner paint and haven't had any more rust clogging the filters or water seperator. So you might want to check the inside of the tank (tip use a flashlight not a flame to cast light- might sound like a no brainer but some have been known to not think about gas fumes on an empty tank and have lost facial hair if not worse.... Got a funny story about that but thats for another time LOL... Short end of it was he welded on a tank with water in it but it still blew up and deformed that tank so he had to buy a new fuel tank for a 69 fastback mustang and didn't have to shave for a while LOL....
ImageCircle of Safety
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the GOVERNMENT and I'm here to HELP."
"I DON'T believe in a government that protects US from OURSELVES." R. Reagan

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:53 am

Toproll615: all good advice. Follow the suggestions and let us know what you find out.

By the way, welcome to the forum. Glad to hear your grandfather's Super A stayed in the family.

Take some time and read through a few threads to acquaint yourself with the Forum:

After your 2nd post on the Forum, you'll have access to the all the free PDF Manuals. They are located via "Quick Links" in the upper left corner of your screen. Hit that and a pull-down appears where you'll find "PDF Manuals". Through that link, you'll be able to download an Owner's Manual (if you don't have one) and any service manuals that interest you. You'll be able to familiarize yourself with your new-to-you Super A more quickly. There are some implement manuals for the A and Super A as well.

Even though you have a Super A, much of this thread would apply: What to do with a Cub you just brought home

Take some pictures of your tractor and post them. We’d like to see it.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”