This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Steering, Lots of play

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
miamifarmer
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 33167

Steering, Lots of play

Postby miamifarmer » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:57 am

Hi all,

My name is Moses and I am a 28 year old organic farmer in Miami Fl. I recently bought a Farmall Super A to cultivate our farm. It runs fantastically. The only issue is the steering. There is a huge amount of play in the steering wheel. I cannot even drive in a straight line, let alone cultivate our fields.
Is there any advice you have for us? We really need help

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Steering, Lots of play

Postby staninlowerAL » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:20 pm

Welcome to the FORUM. After your second post you can access and download the manuals for your tractor from the Quick links tab at the top left corner of this page. Open the pdf manuals folder and look for A, Super A folder. Suggest you support the front end at the axle tubes so you can examine each part of the steering to determine which parts have the free play. You can then tighten all the steering linkages. The steering gear assembly has some internal parts that could need replacing. Check the parts manual for more information.
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

BullDAWG
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39401
Tractors Owned: 1950 Super A
1955 John Deere 60 (sold)
1950 Cub (sold) 1950 Cub l59 woods belly mower (sold)
1951 Cub (sold) 1950 Cub w/ 5' sicklebar (sold)
Tufline 6' disc (old heavy pull type)
1953+ A-295A 2 furrow SlatWing Plow Chief plow (SA)
1950 cub-193 1 furrow SWPC plow (cub) (sold)
6' home made bush hog. Mounts on drawbar

Postby BullDAWG » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:11 pm

stan is correct, after 2 posts look in top left corner for the 3 line icon and click on it and then scroll down till u see the pdf files. then look up the super a section. some quick checks is to support the front and then grab a tire and twist left to right and see if slack is in the tie rod ends or not. also twist tire on top n bottom to see if bearing are bad. this will see where else to look for problems. If not mistaken there also is a way to tighten the worm gear in the front assembly. if that doesn't do it then like he said it may be you need to replace parts in the worm gear assembly. but most of the loose steering I've encountered were #4-7 or #15 in the diagram below. once you post again look this up and reference the parts to actual IH part numbers to get replacements for whats needed.

front end.jpg
ImageCircle of Safety
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the GOVERNMENT and I'm here to HELP."
"I DON'T believe in a government that protects US from OURSELVES." R. Reagan

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:24 pm

miamifarmer wrote:Hi all,

My name is Moses and I am a 28 year old organic farmer in Miami Fl. I recently bought a Farmall Super A to cultivate our farm. It runs fantastically. The only issue is the steering. There is a huge amount of play in the steering wheel. I cannot even drive in a straight line, let alone cultivate our fields.
Is there any advice you have for us? We really need help

Most of your play is most likely in the steering gear box. The gear itself, and the center arm coming out of the gearbox wears on the shaft and can move back and forth. Usually replacing the bushings, bearings, woodruff keys, and sector shaft/gear will take care of it. Usually the steering worm gear is fine. When you get it all back together you have to make absolutely sure that the gear and the center steering arm do not move on the shaft.

CaseIH still offers the parts you need but they are EXPENSIVE. Steiner Tractor parts offers a kit with everything you need but the sector shaft and gear, they sell those separate. There are a few variations of gear and shaft over the years so it helps to know exactly what you have to get the right stuff. I've not done a steering gear rebuild since they started offering these parts so I can't comment on the quality, but I'd give them a try for the price--you can spend $1000 on the gearbox easily if you buy all caseIH parts! https://www.steinertractor.com/IHS1800- ... --seal-kit

There are also a few shortcuts. Some guys will weld the steering gear to the shaft, usually you have to grind on the inside of the steering gearbox to make it fit unless you do a really good job of grinding down your weld. Again you still have to make sure the center arm doesn't move on the shaft. I've not tried it but I have wondered about drilling the center arm and shaft and inserting a roll pin to help hold it still. If you know a good machine shop they may be able to help you out and save you some money on parts. Regardless, replace the bearings and bushings.

It's not a terribly difficult job. Post back if you have questions. Loose steering is a very common problem on these tractors as they age.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Slim140
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: .
1970 International 140
1972 International 140
1949 John Deere A
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original

Postby Slim140 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:00 am

You can also take your shaft and gear to a machine shop and they can cut a bigger keyway in both. I've done several 140's and Cubs like that and it helps a lot.
Every home is a school, what are you teaching?

Circle of Safety

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”