This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

High speed wobble

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
EZ
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: P0M1Z0
Tractors Owned: 49 Cub
67 International Cub Loboy
57 Farmall 130

High speed wobble

Postby EZ » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:55 pm

My 130 is experiencing a pretty good front wheel wobble in 4th gear, usually starts when I hit a bump.
Anyhow, I had been into the steering twice, once during the rebuild, and then once again to see if the woodruff key had given out again.
Nope, the key was in tight and holding the gear firm, new bearing, everything tight, but still a lot of play in the steering. I am thinking I probably require a new shaft and sector, but would be a big cost if it does not cure the slop.
Back to the wobble.
I repaired the wobble by attaching 2 bungie cords to the steering arm and cinched up tight, each bungie cord is then fastened by it's hook to the end of the torque tube.
Works like a charm. No more wobble.
Of course this does not cure the original problem in the steering, but for now it helps and I believe it also takes some stress off of the sector gear that results when the wobble gets to slapping to and fro.
Just Do It !

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: High speed wobble

Postby Bill Hudson » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:06 pm

Simply an uneducated question given your summary of past repairs, is toe in set correctly?

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

EZ
10+ Years
10+ Years
57 Farmall 130

Postby EZ » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:21 pm

Bill Hudson wrote:Simply an uneducated question given your summary of past repairs, is toe in set correctly?

Bill

Hi Bill, good question, and yes the toe in was wrong. It measured about an inch and quarter wider when compared to the front, but I fixed that the other day to 1/8 inch, but the test run after and the wobble was still there. I saw a video where a guy attached a small shock absorber to cure his and that is what gave me the idea to try the bungle cords. The opposing pressure in each direction keeps the steering arm centred in place.
Just Do It !

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:42 pm

worn steering gear parts can cause this, I think you already know what you need to do

EZ
10+ Years
10+ Years
57 Farmall 130

Postby EZ » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:12 pm

tst wrote:worn steering gear parts can cause this, I think you already know what you need to do

Hi,
Been thinking as well that the worm gear on the steering rod could be worn also. Not sure at this moment if that requires an entirely new rod or if the worm could be swapped. Never really looked at that in the parts manual
Just Do It !

EZ
10+ Years
10+ Years
57 Farmall 130

Postby EZ » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:22 pm

Seems the entire steering rod would need swapped if it is worn bad. When you think about it, there is quite a lot of stress on those parts.
Just Do It !

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:52 pm

Old fashioned fix around here is to weld the sector gear to the vertical sector shaft. I wonder if drilling and putting a pin through it would be better.

Check to see that the center arm is tight on the vertical sector shaft. Get somebody to turn the steering wheel while you watch.
Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

EZ
10+ Years
10+ Years
57 Farmall 130

Postby EZ » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:24 pm

Super A wrote:Check to see that the center arm is tight on the vertical sector shaft. Get somebody to turn the steering wheel while you watch.
Al

That I will do Al.
Also welding the gear to the shaft, that would ensure no further problems with the key. :D
Just Do It !

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35630

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:41 am

EZ wrote:
Super A wrote:Check to see that the center arm is tight on the vertical sector shaft. Get somebody to turn the steering wheel while you watch.
Al

That I will do Al.
Also welding the gear to the shaft, that would ensure no further problems with the key. :D

That is what I've been told creates the excessive play and to weld it to eliminate it. I've heard that the worm gear parts get little to no wear that cause play. I do believe that, but when the tractor is 70 years old I believe it has to have some wear down there. It is a little bit of work, but not too bad. Personally, I would try welding them up, putting together and see how much that helps; and then keep fixing and narrowing it down to see what the cause is.
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

EZ
10+ Years
10+ Years
57 Farmall 130

Postby EZ » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:42 pm

I enjoy your page Sir
Just Do It !

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35630

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:51 am

EZ wrote:I enjoy your page Sir

Thank you! Haven't posted in a while as my back has been in bad shape and haven't done too much. Hope to get to posting again soon.
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”