New A owner

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Wilbilly
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 42275
Tractors Owned: 1948 cub, cub cadet original, 1946 Farmall A, 1982 484 ih, 1967 806 Farmall, 1943 b Allis chalmers , 1964 4000 ford,1983 7600 ford, sevral David Bradley walk behind, + parts and peaces.

New A owner

Postby Wilbilly » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:04 pm

Hello,
Im not new to old tractors iv have sevral H's ,C,200, other makes and models. And sill have my grandpa's cub, but anyway just got my frist A. I bought it site unseen and knew it was going to be a project tractor so i wasnt surprised by the condition of the tractor, but man i want expecting the price of parts on this dude. The main thing is right know is the seat. I was told it was going to need a seat but i didnt think much about it till i got it home and started looking for one. Then found out a new seat and springs is going to cost more than i gave for the tractor.
Anyway it got me thinking i dont like to give up on a tractor and have saved some pretty bad ones but, between the seat it also needs a clutch and one rear wheel, tires,and manifold. I thinking it probably need an overhaul too i got it to run and the oil pressure is questionable but, im not 100% on that it has a gage that goes to 100psi so it may not be reading just right for that engine.
Idk boys i may have to call this one a parts tractor, the good part it did come with a set of cultvators, and a complete plow setup. All and all im not regretting the buy but im thinking i may need to put this one on the back burner for a while and look for another one. Well anyway just wanted to say hi and get added to the A oweners lol. If any one has a good leads for some cheap used parts please let me know. Thanks Wil Image ImageImage

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: New A owner

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:47 pm

Wilbilly wrote:. . . Then found out a new seat and springs is going to cost more than i gave for the tractor. . . .
You got a tractor with a plow and cultivator for $300! The tractor was free.

100# is way high for the oil pressure gauge. You might borrow a gauge from another tractor to see what it reads. The oil pump in that engine has been known to be a cause of low pressure. The end plate on the bottom is sometimes worn or warped. Flattening it by lapping it in with sandpaper on a flat surface can sometimes make a big difference. If the engine is belching out a big blue cloud, you have another situation.

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe
52 F-Cub
49 F-Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bill Hudson » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:48 pm

Jim Becker wrote:You got a tractor with a plow and cultivator for $300! The tractor was free.

My thoughts, as well.

Bill
"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07727
Tractors Owned: '58 International Cub Lo-Boy
2 - '46 International A's

Postby Lt.Mike » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:55 pm

Bill Hudson wrote:
Jim Becker wrote:You got a tractor with a plow and cultivator for $300! The tractor was free.

My thoughts, as well.

Bill

Rear wheel weights too! That’s another $80-$100 so he’s that much more ahead of the game.
Seat springs can be had new for $50 on eBay but right now a new seat is around $220 shipped.
If you don’t care about the padding and intact used works for you keep haunting eBay and one will pop up that’s cheap enough. :wink:
Patience pays eventually.
Quote by Gary Pickeral I like
"If it can cast a shadow, it can be restored"

1958 Cub Lo-Boy
1952 Farmall Cub, Paula's Cub
1952 Farmall Cub (#2)
1946 International IA (Lil’Mule)
1946 International IA (#2)
1953 Farmall SA

Wilbilly
Cub Star
Cub Star
Tractors Owned: 1948 cub, cub cadet original, 1946 Farmall A, 1982 484 ih, 1967 806 Farmall, 1943 b Allis chalmers , 1964 4000 ford,1983 7600 ford, sevral David Bradley walk behind, + parts and peaces.

Postby Wilbilly » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:43 pm

Thanks that makes me feel better i knew the plow and cultvator was worth something but didnt know exactly what. Im pretty sure i can fix the wheel, and i can fix the manafold but it wont be pretty. Im not that good at welding cast. So i may save her yet.
The two coolest parts i think of the out fit are the rod on the plow to lay the grass/weeds down in the furrow , and the cast iron shifter knob. Idk maybe I'm just to easy to get excited lol. Thanks guys

Wilbilly
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby Wilbilly » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:07 pm

Jim Becker wrote:
Wilbilly wrote:. . . Then found out a new seat and springs is going to cost more than i gave for the tractor. . . .
You got a tractor with a plow and cultivator for $300! The tractor was free.

100# is way high for the oil pressure gauge. You might borrow a gauge from another tractor to see what it reads. The oil pump in that engine has been known to be a cause of low pressure. The end plate on the bottom is sometimes worn or warped. Flattening it by lapping it in with sandpaper on a flat surface can sometimes make a big difference. If the engine is belching out a big blue cloud, you have another situation.

Its not smoking. Sence you said that i remeber when i was in high school i help an older gentleman rebuild a C and we done that to the oil pump on it. If i remeber right it would peg the gage out afterwards.