This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

speed difference tilling with SA

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
sixoklok
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

speed difference tilling with SA

Postby sixoklok » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:28 am

To prepare beds for planting, I've adapted a 36" tiller to the rear of my Super A, belt driven. I haven't tried it yet as ground is still frozen but I'm a little concerned that the ground speed will be too fast, with 12.4 rear tires. Is it worth going to 9.5"? If the difference is not significant I won't bother.

This tractor was bought with sole intention of working in the garden, with seeders and cultivators at slow speeds.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Re: speed difference tilling with SA

Postby SONNY » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:11 pm

I think you will find the tractor WAY too fast to do much tilling.--It also depends on how fast your tines rotate. How deep you can go will depend on slow speed. 36" won't take out your wheel tracks, which is defeating the purpose of tilling. I use a KK 72" on my 404 and can only go about half depth because tractor also runs too fast. Last couple years I put it on the 706 and full depth on one pass then plant. ( just does take out the wheel tracks).
I often thought of making a hydro-drive tractor just for tilling and cultivating garden crops. ---Biggest problem is the big hydraulic pump needed to run the motors. SA pump not big enough, so a front mount one would be needed. Most motors will run on a 17 gpm pump from what I have found. thanks; sonny

sixoklok
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby sixoklok » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:39 pm

Well since everything is in permanent rows, tire tracks don't need to be removed and it doesn't need to go very deep either. I could gear it up so it spins faster and idle the tractor, to try it out.

Maybe the tiller can also propel the tractor forward with a drive wheel?

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:21 pm

Don't idle the tractor engine while tilling! run at least half rated rpm. if tracks and shallow depth, are no problem,--then what you have should work!
I thought you meant TILLING!!!---- engine speed/ tine speed/ and forward motion need to be balanced to do satisfactory job. You might have to test different tiller speeds to see what works best and fine tune it from there! Keep us updated as to what you find works! thanks; sonny

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”