This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Going to buy Super A tomorrow

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Going to buy Super A tomorrow

Postby allenlook » Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:15 pm

Found a Super A in the local rag, fella just happens to be coming to my town tomorrow with a car trailer for the auctions, so I told him to bring it up with him and if it doesn't have any welds it'll be mine. Comes with a mower deck, too :) I'll have that off pretty quick and try out this loader on it :!:
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:39 pm

Congratulations, Allen. You are making a good move.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

countershaft
10+ Years
10+ Years

Congradulations on a great buy

Postby countershaft » Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:55 pm

I have a SA and really enjoy it along with the Cubs. It has it's own nitch in the work force and is a powerfull machine. When I get the Cub stuck , I go for the SA to pull her out . Good Luck !
1958 Farmall Cub , 1948 Farmall Super A , 1950 Farmall Cub demonstrator (restoring), 1968 Wheel Horse lawn mower.

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Guess what

Postby allenlook » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:22 am

Guess what... it had welds. :(

He said it didn't and he bothered to tow it for an hour to get here, and first thing I saw was multiple welds on the left final, some of which were re-cracked. That kind of puts cracks in the credibility of the seller, too. :?

So, I politely offered $500 less and then declined the tractor when he stuck at $2,500.

Might have been foolish considering it also had a Woods mower on it, but I think I can do much better, and I don't really need another Woods mower anyway.
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:34 am

Bummer.

$500 was probably a fair difference under the circumstances. You could probably get the cracked final replaced for that. The bigger problem is the credibility question if he said there were no cracks or welds. It isn't really a subjective question.

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Agreed!

Postby allenlook » Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:05 pm

Agreed!

I asked several times over the phone if it had any cracks in the final drives, the engine housing, or the torque tube, and told him that if it had no cracks in it as he was stating, I would take it for the price he was offering because it was worth a few hundred just to have him tow it all the way up here, and he was coming up anyway.

Then to find it had several very bright and shiny obvious welds on the left final was very disappointing. It's not like they were old and rusty and covered with dirt and dust.

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:31 am

Hey Allen...ALWAYS trust your eyes when examining a potential tractor buy...BUT also ALWAYS TRUST that little voice in your head that tells ya..."something's really wrong here" (which is exactly what you did!) :wink:
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:29 am

Yup, I agree with country. I've passed on some that looked good, but something dsidn't seme right, and bougth one in that same category (bad move), I've also bought a couple that looked pretty bad, but that "little voice" said thye were better than they looked. JN, you won one of those last 2.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

GAGoober
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30268

Postby GAGoober » Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:11 am

Allen, I bought a Super A just the other day. It came up in the state ag paper and was only 30 miles from the house in a small town where no one does any farming any more. I went and took a look and bought it for $900. It doesn't run but will turn over and has spark. I looked it over pretty good but who knows what I will find when I get to cleanin' it up. I always get spooked on buying these tractors because of hidden cracks, etc.

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”