This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Tractor shutting off and starting with jumper cables

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
CDKL
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 30506

Re: Tractor shutting off and starting with jumper cables

Postby CDKL » Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:41 pm

Update, I believe the coil is fine. I ran it this afternoon for 15-20 minutes and it never shut off. I took off and went to plow the garden and it did fine for another 10 minutes or so. Then it started cutting out and like it was running out of fuel, I got it back to the garage and it died just as soon as I pulled in. I let it sit less that 5 minutes and she fired back off again. I’m thinking it’s got to be an issue with the carb in some fashion. Thoughts?

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:15 pm

Did you check for spark as Eugene explained?

customcutter
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 33596
Tractors Owned: Super A Industrial
Farmall 100

Postby customcutter » Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:35 pm

Another way if you are having trouble getting the spark plug grounded like I was. I removed the distributor cap, rotor button, and the plate underneath. That will expose the points and make them easily visible. Turn the motor over and should see spark easily at the points.

customcutter
Cub Star
Cub Star
Farmall 100

Postby customcutter » Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:47 pm

Sorry I didn't see the update on page 4 LOL. Every time I have had a coil break down due to heat it took much longer than 5 minutes to cool off, more like 20-30 minutes.

I would check the fuel system. Is the sediment bowl clean on the bottom of the fuel tank? Have you drained the old fuel out of the fuel bowl on the bottom of the carb and checked for trash? Do you have an in-line filter between the sediment bowl and the carb? How old is the gas? Do you use non-ethanol gas, ethanol will absorb moisture out of the atmosphere, you might have a layer of water on the bottom of your fuel tank and carb bowl. Is your tank rusty, might be picking up trash/rust from the tank making it into the carb. It might be time for a carb rebuild, and check the flatness of the carb halves. They are famous for warping and sucking air which can cause a lean condition and burnt valves etc. Lots of YT videos on the carb rebuild.

CDKL
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby CDKL » Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:02 am

customcutter wrote:Sorry I didn't see the update on page 4 LOL. Every time I have had a coil break down due to heat it took much longer than 5 minutes to cool off, more like 20-30 minutes.

I would check the fuel system. Is the sediment bowl clean on the bottom of the fuel tank? Have you drained the old fuel out of the fuel bowl on the bottom of the carb and checked for trash? Do you have an in-line filter between the sediment bowl and the carb? How old is the gas? Do you use non-ethanol gas, ethanol will absorb moisture out of the atmosphere, you might have a layer of water on the bottom of your fuel tank and carb bowl. Is your tank rusty, might be picking up trash/rust from the tank making it into the carb. It might be time for a carb rebuild, and check the flatness of the carb halves. They are famous for warping and sucking air which can cause a lean condition and burnt valves etc. Lots of YT videos on the carb rebuild.

Thank you for the info, I have looked on YouTube to some extent for the carb rebuild videos. Mine has a carter carb on it and there just don't seem to be a whole lot of information out there, not that I can find anyway.

CDKL
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby CDKL » Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:03 am

customcutter wrote:Another way if you are having trouble getting the spark plug grounded like I was. I removed the distributor cap, rotor button, and the plate underneath. That will expose the points and make them easily visible. Turn the motor over and should see spark easily at the points.

I will check it this as well, thank you for your help.

customcutter
Cub Star
Cub Star
Farmall 100

Postby customcutter » Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:14 pm

CDKL wrote:I will check it this as well, thank you for your help.

Your welcome. Hope it helps, and good luck. Let us know what you find.

Jw79nc
Zip Code: 28513

Postby Jw79nc » Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:42 pm

I would suspect the alternator isn't charging the battery, it should run once you jump it if it's just a dead battery.

CDKL
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby CDKL » Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:54 pm

Took the carb apart this weekend and cleaned it really good. There was not anything noticeable that came out of it. There isn’t any sediment in the bowl either. I haven’t had a chance to start it back, I was going to drain the fuel and put fresh back in just in case. I’m thinking about putting an inline filter in as well just for the added protection. Any cons to adding a second filter?

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bob McCarty » Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:53 pm

If the gas tank is clean, you shouldn't need a second filter. If so, I prefer this option: viewtopic.php?f=139&t=98978
With it you don't have to alter your gas line and can leave it all steel as it should be. I assume you ran a small copper wire through the main jet orifice?
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein